Top Brass

I know Crown has dominated brass the last hand full of years but in the past 25 years, who have been the heavy hitters? Not just winning caption but having consistently strong brass?..

Star, I know Suncoast Sound had some killer lines..

Suncoast has been gone for 26 years from finals, Star 22 this year, I don't think we can place them in the last 25 years as dominant.

I know Crown has dominated brass the last hand full of years but in the past 25 years, who have been the heavy hitters? Not just winning caption but having consistently strong brass?..

I'm not sure you can really say "dominated the last hand full of years". They've certainly dominated over everyone except the Blue Devils (who they've pretty much alternated brass titles with...those two lines are a lot closer that people think in terms of quality and excellence, regardless of year). What you can say is that Crown and Devils have together dominated the activity in terms of brass. Has anyone really come close?

Edited by Kamarag

I'd add Cadets to the list. The 2013 line blew me away when I saw them live. Even more powerful sounding than Crown and Devils. That was a heck of a year for horn lines...

• Like 1

Spirit back in the Jim Ott (RIP) era (1977-July 1980). I was there in Michigan City in 1980 when they supposedly made the glass in the press box crack.

Edit: OK, it was more than 25 years ago (0.1 tick to me); but for sheer volume I would put 1980 Spirit of Atlanta against any of todays corps and it would not be close. As it says in his DCI HOF bio "It is said that Jim Ott could get more out of a 14-year-old who couldn't read music than most instructors could get out of a seasoned musician."

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

I'm not sure you can really say "dominated the last hand full of years". They've certainly dominated over everyone except the Blue Devils (who they've pretty much alternated brass titles with...those two lines are a lot closer that people think in terms of quality and excellence, regardless of year). What you can say is that Crown and Devils have together dominated the activity in terms of brass. Has anyone really come close?

Correct. From 1990 forward, it would be BD and Crown. Star was out by 93.