Top Brass

Or might it simply be due to Jim Ott just being a genius and Spirit just being that good?

All the years before than, and for many years thereafter, everyone was playing on G instruments. And there's nothing keeping a corps from using G bugles today.

Possibly, but there has been discussions about G/Bf and the edge seems to go towards a G line usually being louder(sheer volume as compared to today's lines).

Possibly, but there has been discussions about G/Bf and the edge seems to go towards a G line usually being louder(sheer volume as compared to today's lines).

Yes, but the poster you were responding didn't give that praise to 78 Phantom or 79 BD or any other corps, who were all using G horns at the time and had the opportunity to be just as loud as those 78-80 Spirit horn lines. The comparison was to Spirit, and to Jim Ott.

On another and possibly more important note, corps - and horn lines - were much smaller back then. I believe Spirit had 6 contras - SIX!!! and a total of 60 horns in those massively loud lines.

Edited by oldsoprano

Going back further than 25 years would have included many of those PR lines. They were amazing.

I'd add Cadets to the list. The 2013 line blew me away when I saw them live. Even more powerful sounding than Crown and Devils. That was a heck of a year for horn lines...

Have to agree. The Cadets may not have a lot of brass trophies; however, they're usually in the hunt and tenths out of the top spot. Not to mention the typical crazy amount of demand on Cadets brass lines!

On another and possibly more important note, corps - and horn lines - were much smaller back then. I believe Spirit had 6 contras - SIX!!! and a total of 60 horns in those massively loud lines.

Make that EIGHT!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTOQNg3wQh0 (Unable to find a 80 video to count.)

Part II: Found it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8RrE8YRd04 EIGHT Contras.

But your main concern is good. They had a loud horn line. Others were loud also, but prior to 2000 Finals, I hadn't watched a show since the mid 70's so I couldn't give an honest opinion.

Edited by Ghost

Yes, but the poster you were responding didn't give that praise to 78 Phantom or 79 BD or any other corps, who were all using G horns at the time and had the opportunity to be just as loud as those 78-80 Spirit horn lines. The comparison was to Spirit, and to Jim Ott.

1980 Spirit was loudest I personally have ever heard before or since. That said, BITD others (who had seen both live) would put 75 Madison in the same league, but I did not see 1975 Madison live.

PS - 76 BD (another Ott line) had only 6 contras. And a really good mellophone soloist.