Who would travel to see a "ONCE A YEAR" Old Fashioned Drum Cor

We ALL miss the retreats of a drum corps show, where the corps play their respect to the winner, and we see the corps perform their trademark as they go off the field.

Why can't DCI - just ONCE A YEAR, do a "Traditional Show" where the Drum Corps can play their cadences coming on the field if they like, do a retreat, and perform going off...

I think i would rather go there - than DCI Championships..

anybody else interested?

• Like 4

We ALL miss the retreats of a drum corps show, where the corps play their respect to the winner, and we see the corps perform their trademark as they go off the field.

Why can't DCI - just ONCE A YEAR, do a "Traditional Show" where the Drum Corps can play their cadences coming on the field if they like, do a retreat, and perform going off...

anybody else interested?

Only if they use the old sheets from the 60's.

anybody else interested?

1. Definitely not; I care FAR more about the shows on the field than any other stuff (as much as I really love that other stuff)

2. Do they do something like this at DCA shows, or with the Alumni corps that do DCA?

I personally have never been the type of guy who wants to dwell on the past: I'd rather continue to embrace the present and push towards the future. As a percussionist (who marches snare in drum corps) I of course love cadences, and as a fan I truly miss the days of retreat when corps would play each other off with special songs. But I'm fine with drum corps now and while I miss that stuff I don't feel the need to push for that stuff to come back, and I definitely would not travel to see a show just because of cadences and full retreat

• Like 3

that's an interesting point that I don't know the answer to: Could a local show organizer change the format of the show? could a show offer corps who wanted to 'play on' extra time to do so? could they declare an optional grand retreat for any corps that wanted to participate?

if a show is cosmetically different from other shows, does that make it not an 'official' show?

desirability aside, are those kinds of show-structure changes possible on a local level?

anybody else interested?

They can't do it due to timing, corps having to get to the next location and besides, look how many people leave, including older fans before the encore performance. In today's world one doesn't even have to wait for scores. People could head home and beat the traffic or head out for a drink or to eat with friends and get the scores on their phone. Maybe faster.

Also, shows aren't just on the weekend like many years ago, which can make a difference for some.

At CYO Nationls Tribute in 2011 there was a retreat, but there was not a performance of each corps' trademark song. The retreat was nice, but, perhaps backing up Guardling's point a bit, the corps were all staying at locations only about twenty minutes from the show, so it worked. I do remember more frequent retreats in the past, but usually they only took place at special shows. However, if they do retreats, the scores need to be held off until the retreat is over. I went to two shows last year where the scores were on the DCI website before they were announced.

that's an interesting point that I don't know the answer to: Could a local show organizer change the format of the show? could a show offer corps who wanted to 'play on' extra time to do so? could they declare an optional grand retreat for any corps that wanted to participate?

if a show is cosmetically different from other shows, does that make it not an 'official' show?

desirability aside, are those kinds of show-structure changes possible on a local level?

I would think the show structure is not very flexible, certainly not to the "extremes" of requiring corps to alter their post-show customs. Some corps leave early(ish), some corps give their members' free time post-show, some corps might send their equipment truck(s) ahead of the corps early after the performance, etc. I wouldn't think a show sponsor would be able to run a DCI show and change the format, though I could be wrong; maybe in the case of a special event, like maybe the CYO Tribute thing. I would suspect the corps would then have to voluntarily agree, and wouldn't necessarily be required (i.e. if Glassmen didn't want to do retreat they wouldn't have to).

Again, I'm just kind of guessing so I could be wrong

well anybody can ASK any corps to do whatever they want.

but can they mess with the show set-up? a concrete and extreme example:

what if the organizers of the 'Show of Shows' in Rockford said 'we aren't going to have any timing penalties. we want to encourage corps to do whatever they want!'

invited corps would have to be informed before they committed. but would this kind of thing be allowed? DCI isn't running the show, but DCI is still providing support and facilitating the judges...would the 'Show of Shows' organizers need to ask DCI permission? would DCI give that permission?

do changes in consistency of the 'regular season' require permission?

how much consistency is mandatory in order to be allowed to host a show?

anybody else interested?

In answer to your question, yes, I would enjoy an experience like that, primarily because the whole point of all the "pageantry" around the contest would be to offer an additional aspect of entertainment for the audience (i.e. Conceptually, a scaled down version of an Olympic retreat or closing ceremony). Having said that, I would only enjoy it if all involved were actually committed to doing it in a manner that is consistent with the values that we profess (excellence, professionalism, entertainment-oriented, etc.).

What's sad is all of the DCP nay saying surrounding the idea... as usual.

The suggestion was one show per year, and it goes without saying that all involved would have to be in agreement to provide that kind of spectacle activity to cap the night off. It's not about the scores (yes, you can get them online), it's simply a throwback "traditional" celebration of who we are as a "unique" performing arts entity. (Yes, "unique" is debatable)

Does it take extra time, effort, making of sacrifices, etc.? Of course, but I was under the impression that by nature, the entire activity was about putting in extra time, effort, making sacrifices, etc.

People seem to get a kick out of going to (or observing) an NFL game when the teams put on the throwback uniforms, jerseys, etc. It's called creative marketing. Why not create a throwback drum corps experience? One show. Why not?

• Like 2

In answer to your question, yes, I would enjoy an experience like that, primarily because the whole point of all the "pageantry" around the contest would be to offer an additional aspect of entertainment for the audience (i.e. Conceptually, a scaled down version of an Olympic retreat or closing ceremony). Having said that, I would only enjoy it if all involved were actually committed to doing it in a manner that is consistent with the values that we profess (excellence, professionalism, entertainment-oriented, etc.).

What's sad is all of the DCP nay saying surrounding the idea... as usual.

The suggestion was one show per year, and it goes without saying that all involved would have to be in agreement to provide that kind of spectacle activity to cap the night off. It's not about the scores (yes, you can get them online), it's simply a throwback "traditional" celebration of who we are as a "unique" performing arts entity. (Yes, "unique" is debatable)

Does it take extra time, effort, making of sacrifices, etc.? Of course, but I was under the impression that by nature, the entire activity was about putting in extra time, effort, making sacrifices, etc.

People seem to get a kick out of going to (or observing) an NFL game when the teams put on the throwback uniforms, jerseys, etc. It's called creative marketing. Why not create a throwback drum corps experience? One show. Why not?

Well-said. I agree. One show a year... designated well in advance.... would, for me, be a cool thing.

Modern-day performances, coupled with a "throwback" feel to the awards ceremony. The best of both worlds, IMO, for one night!!!

• Like 1