Dumbest things drum corps peeps told you

I found nothing in a quick google search. Perhaps you could help me focus my search so I can validate your claim? You have my interest piqued. Thanks.

On a great deal of the high school band director openings I've been looking at I keep seeing the term "Drum Corps Experience Preferred". Not required, but it could give an edge to young teachers with similar experience.

I found nothing in a quick google search. Perhaps you could help me focus my search so I can validate your claim? You have my interest piqued. Thanks.

Well, after sifting through a lot of high school "tech" positions I found these 3 somewhat quickly. The initial flood that I got of mostly tech positions did mislead me at first. I typed in band directing jobs drum corps experience required and band jobs drum corps experience. One also from Milton high school in Atlanta came up but the link itself just didn't come up on my phone. The head guy there is a drum corps guy so I guess he feels comfortable having an assistant that also has drum corps experience. His band is pretty darn good too. To me, drum corps can do nothing but help the music educator and his or her career. I wouldn't teach drum corps myself if I thought otherwise.

http://bandjobs.org/job/8132/assistant-marching-band-director-at-matthew-berntsen/

http://www.tmea.org/programs/jobs/fmpro?-db=TMEA_Job_Vacancy&-sortfield=Posting_Date&-sortorder=descending&-op=eq&Academic_Level=*&-op=eq&Position=&-op=eq&ISD_School=&-op=eq&City=&-op=eq&Zip=&-op=eq&Region=&-lop=and&-recid=26186&-format=%2FTMEA_Job_Vacancy%2Fdetail.htm&-lay=Layout1&-find

https://www.higheredjobs.com/m/details.cfm?JobCode=176019987

Interestingly, this actually may be true. I actually thought about a way to prove that this exists (Because I thought this was a huge issue for quite some time) and I realized that the most obvious way would be through examining group's growth curves. If slotting exists, certain groups should show slightly unusual growth curves when, as the season goes on, the judges recalibrate their slotting to more closely match reality. What I found was the exact opposite. If you apply a group's typical growth ratio combined with other factors (weekly score derivative curve, strength of competition factor, and of course, spreads) you can almost exactly predict a group's finals score from week 1, and the thing is, their scores day-in and day-out almost all fall extremely close to their predicted values.

The above might seem at first glance like it's proof of slotting until you realize that this means that DCI would have to decide before the season even started who would win and by how much. The only area of the scores that showed minor evidence of slotting was mid pack (Oregon and Crest neighborhood). This also speaks volumes about the quality of judging on the circuit. Almost everyone has the same idea of what warrants a 100, 90, 80 etc. If I need to explain this more, or better, I certainly can!

This is very interesting, and I agree w/ Rasputin the HornTeacher below that I would like more info. Any chance you could start a topic w/ your data & methodology?

I'd rather not reveal the methodology straight away, because I don't want to be guaranteeing results for something that has only worked in retrospect. I will certainly make a thread prior to the season starting to keep track of rankings, predicted finals scores, and whatever it is that I've noticed, If i don't end up marching somewhere. I have a few more auditions in the future and if I can in fact do this for the season, I'll jump on board with this and start trying to do as much as I can!

• Like 1

Well, after sifting through a lot of high school "tech" positions I found these 3 somewhat quickly. The initial flood that I got of mostly tech positions did mislead me at first. I typed in band directing jobs drum corps experience required and band jobs drum corps experience. One also from Milton high school in Atlanta came up but the link itself just didn't come up on my phone. The head guy there is a drum corps guy so I guess he feels comfortable having an assistant that also has drum corps experience. His band is pretty darn good too. To me, drum corps can do nothing but help the music educator and his or her career. I wouldn't teach drum corps myself if I thought otherwise.

http://bandjobs.org/job/8132/assistant-marching-band-director-at-matthew-berntsen/

http://www.tmea.org/programs/jobs/fmpro?-db=TMEA_Job_Vacancy&-sortfield=Posting_Date&-sortorder=descending&-op=eq&Academic_Level=*&-op=eq&Position=&-op=eq&ISD_School=&-op=eq&City=&-op=eq&Zip=&-op=eq&Region=&-lop=and&-recid=26186&-format=%2FTMEA_Job_Vacancy%2Fdetail.htm&-lay=Layout1&-find

https://www.higheredjobs.com/m/details.cfm?JobCode=176019987

I think he meant Real Jobs

I'd rather not reveal the methodology straight away, because I don't want to be guaranteeing results for something that has only worked in retrospect. I will certainly make a thread prior to the season starting to keep track of rankings, predicted finals scores, and whatever it is that I've noticed, If i don't end up marching somewhere. I have a few more auditions in the future and if I can in fact do this for the season, I'll jump on board with this and start trying to do as much as I can!

Glorious, YOU come first, especially if you do indeed end up marching this summer. I don't think any reasonable person on DCP would ever dispute that.

Personally, I wish you the best of luck this summer. Follow your dreams, and work the very hardest you can to achieve them. I wish you Godspeed on your journey.

I've seen a large number of high school band director positions advertised with the drum corps bullet front and center. Not a majority of them, to be sure, but a good number, usually from programs with competitive, high-achieving marching bands.

Um. These are assistant band directors or adjunct college faculty. Real jobs to me. Full time. Other than the college gig, with benefits. And this is just google. As I said, band director friend looking for a gig couldn't apply to one where drum corps experience was REQUIRED. The good corps style bands want corps experienced teachers. Unless you consider a full time band director not a "real job." Edited by Cadets98