Highlight of finals night

every year has "that" moment. Be it Phantom in 08, or even their 96 performance...

Coats last year, Madison in 11, SCV 09, Crown 13, going back to SCV's ending in 92 or SCV's performance in 99 ( and Madison)...Boston 2000....at least one a year. too many to make a list

I was in the crowd for both the finals performance and the results in 2008. In many ways (especially during the PR performance) it was amazing. In others, it got very uglyexcessively so. People booed BD extremely harshly. The crowd was basically taunting BD from the beginning, and then the roar of the crowd and BD's reaction to it were pretty unfortunate, honestly. I just felt like A LOT of those cheers came at the expense of BD, and not because PR had just won. That's probably an extremely unpopular opinion, but it's how I felt when I was there, and it's how I feel looking back on it.

I know judges are "unbiased" and whatnot, but they clearly were swayed towards Phantom that year, probably almost entirely by the crowd. In an isolated setting without all of that hype and buildup, I'm not even sure if Phantom was the second best corps there.

Totally agree. On our way to the hotel after we stopped to grab food and were in line with some fans of Phantom and had a member of BD directly behind us. The Phantom fans proceeded to spend the duration of the wait rubbing it in the BD members face as well.

In true class, the BD member was polite and talked about how great Phantom was, too bad the ######## in front of us couldn't be as classy.

• Like 2

I was in the crowd for both the finals performance and the results in 2008. In many ways (especially during the PR performance) it was amazing. In others, it got very ugly—excessively so. People booed BD extremely harshly. The crowd was basically taunting BD from the beginning, and then the roar of the crowd and BD's reaction to it were pretty unfortunate, honestly. I just felt like A LOT of those cheers came at the expense of BD, and not because PR had just won. That's probably an extremely unpopular opinion, but it's how I felt when I was there, and it's how I feel looking back on it.

Stepping back now several years from the actual events and being no fan of 'booing" in most circumstances....plus not taking anything away from the energy that Phantom Regiment's performance generated in 2008, I wonder if a sociologist and an anthropologist looking at 2007 and 2008 would conclude that the negative energy BD (and fans) might have felt in 2008 was partially in response to how the California fans treated performers in Pasadena, the hash-gate year!?!? I'm not saying that 2008 was a direct retribution for the failure of 2007 but that it helped to set a mood and context for what followed.. Besides everyone cheers an underdog, especially when David slays Goliath.

That Pasadena episode of "booing" was probably one of the lowest points of DCI history.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2

Totally agree. On our way to the hotel after we stopped to grab food and were in line with some fans of Phantom and had a member of BD directly behind us. The Phantom fans proceeded to spend the duration of the wait rubbing it in the BD members face as well.

In true class, the BD member was polite and talked about how great Phantom was, too bad the ######## in front of us couldn't be as classy.

I'm not sure what that has to do with the claims that the crowd (the tone suggested to me a huge portion of the crowd, like perhaps the majority, but I'd be happy to accept any clarification on that point) was taunting BD and cheering not so much for Phantom as against BD. As overwhelming evidence to the contrary on that point, I would submit the response of the crowd when Phantom played that night, long before anyone knew who was going to win.

If the behavior of some fans of a given corps that you happen to encounter could be said to characterize an organization, or all of its fans, or everyone who roots for them or cheered enthusiastically for them on a given night, then based on everything I've seen for the past 20 years, you would have some bad news for anyone here who has ever been part of, a fan of, rooted for or cheered enthusiastically for ANY highly competitive corps here...

Edited by skevinp
  • Like 3

From the perspective of "fandom", a lack of universal love for any group does not automatically qualify as the existence of a universal hatred -- any more so than a lack of universal hatred (or "non-support") instantly indicates a universal love (or "support"). Like almost any and every thing in life, the truth is always going to fall somewhere in the middle. Why should this activity be any different? Stating the obvious, I know...but sometimes (human nature being what it is) I think this gets lost in the translation somehow.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 2

1976... the Bridgemen's full-corps "faint."

how the California fans treated performers in Pasadena,

Funny....I was there, and i seem to recall tons of love for all corps, as it was the first time we'd ever had finals out West (no...I'm not going to count Denver in 77-78 and 04. 1) It's on the EAST side of the Continential Divide, and 2) its still 1000 miles from the west coast).

I was there...didn;t hear anhy bad treatment.

Hashgate? yeah...there was booing there for leaving the field (and Hop was correct in doing so as the stadium crew had dopped teh ball on relining trhe field)...not the show itself.

BDs horns sounded like ### at the end of the show in 08, over playing the horn, bad sounds, stick outs. Some big overhype from BD. But the crowd ate it up. Probably the 3rd most enthusiastic crowd response of the night. Behind Phantom then Crown. No one even touched Phantom though. The majority of the crowd was engaged 100% of the show. If that doesn't warrant a win, I don't know what does. Just being clean doesn't win you a championship. The tick era is long gone. Phantom was clean enough to win that night. And hey they really cleaned up a lot of that drill, a lot of it hit that night that didn't hit at all during the season... they pulled a visual show out of their ##### that surprised the heck out of me. Give credit where credit is due. And the way the numbers added up they ended up a smidge ahead.

And being in that audience... most of the cheering i heard was pro Phantom. Didn't really hear much along the lines of negativity to BD, not much pro BD, but PR won that audience over emotionally. And it's possible they got to some judges... but the judges are also fans, and I think 2008 then the reactions to 2009 and 2010 really opened up some eyes on what should be rewarded by the judges. Now if you want to say there was negativity towards BD in 09 and especially in 10... I could agree with you.

And if someone brings up "oh the kids!!! you can't act negatively towards the kids!" Ed Rendell thinks you're a wuss. At BD, they are mainly college "kids" who know what they are getting into. And you aren't going to bruise their ego. It's a competitive activity whether you like it or not... we need some thicker skin.

• Like 3

BDs horns sounded like ### at the end of the show in 08, over playing the horn, bad sounds, stick outs. Some big overhype from BD. But the crowd ate it up. Probably the 3rd most enthusiastic crowd response of the night. Behind Phantom then Crown. No one even touched Phantom though. The majority of the crowd was engaged 100% of the show. If that doesn't warrant a win, I don't know what does. Just being clean doesn't win you a championship. The tick era is long gone. Phantom was clean enough to win that night. And hey they really cleaned up a lot of that drill, a lot of it hit that night that didn't hit at all during the season... they pulled a visual show out of their ##### that surprised the heck out of me. Give credit where credit is due. And the way the numbers added up they ended up a smidge ahead.

And being in that audience... most of the cheering i heard was pro Phantom. Didn't really hear much along the lines of negativity to BD, not much pro BD, but PR won that audience over emotionally. And it's possible they got to some judges... but the judges are also fans, and I think 2008 then the reactions to 2009 and 2010 really opened up some eyes on what should be rewarded by the judges. Now if you want to say there was negativity towards BD in 09 and especially in 10... I could agree with you.

And if someone brings up "oh the kids!!! you can't act negatively towards the kids!" Ed Rendell thinks you're a wuss. At BD, they are mainly college "kids" who know what they are getting into. And you aren't going to bruise their ego. It's a competitive activity whether you like it or not... we need some thicker skin.

+++++++

I'm going to edit this to take back some of my enthusiastic pluses, but only a few. The BD show rocked, I absolutely loved it. But Phantom sucked all of the oxygen out of the stadium that night.

And from a fan perspective event PR '08 - in THAT stadium, in THAT competition - hits solidly in my top-5 ever, for life, most exciting drum corps moments.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1