Best Little Corps?

BAC during the late 70 's.

Them... plus the three Keith mentioned earlier... Grenadiers, Charioteers, and Acadamie Musicale.

I know I've said this before... but the Southern Tier Grenadiers had one of the best horn lines... on a player-for-player basis... I've ever heard.

Also, the Mandarins when they were a Division 3 corps.

On the DCA side, the Govenaires, and White Sabers in recent years. Both corps... like the Mandarins in their Div. 3 days... put on a clinic on how to design a show for a smaller corps.

Edited by Fran Haring

Loretto - 1962

Best 24 man (and I do mean man) hornline I ever heard ... toppled all the giants of that era ... Genero, Cluna and Freising at the instructional helm ... Tom Costa and Sal Calvagno leading the admin ... lotsa vowels in that corps ...

:-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I think of small but mighty corps I immediately think of the Blue Stars during the Div II / III years.....Always in finals and always a contender for the DCI championship in Div II and III until finally returning to Div I / World Class.

However if I had to name the best small corps it would be the 1996 Les Etoiles from Quebec......I think they had about 65 members and they came in 15th in Div I / World Class semifinals.

"Loretto Knights":

Best 24 MAN horn line indeed. Upset Cambridge Caballeros and Boston Crusaders at a show in Ansonia Ct "Way Back" in 1962, and got past a fading St Vincent's Cadets in the finale of 1961.

Sadly the corps was folded at 1962 season's final show at Union City NJ along with cross town rival St Catherin of Sienna Queensmen.

Both these corps were recorded by Fleetwood Records, in concert (Brass by Night) at the end of 1961. It's one of THE great "Concert" recordings Fleetwood made.

Elphaba

• 2 months later...

I was a member of one of the all time great little corps, the Black Watch from Auburn, WA. We had a great little show that was performed by a small group of kids. We had a large, Top 12 capable corps in 1976, then had a great exodus that fall. In 1977, we blended in the feeder corps, and had a still small group which we took to Denver, and competed in DCI Class A. We took 7th that year, with a pretty good show.

The next year, 1978 we gained a few members, but were still pretty small. We played a pretty hard book, and took 1st in Class A. I attach the sound file here, for others to enjoy, and to see what I mean.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kxq82omu0c6tcfv/Black%20Watch%201978%201.mp3?dl=0