Spring Training Housing

re: Unfortunately, the facilities come at an additional cost, but The Cadets' administrative team has been arduously reviewing quotes from numerous facilities since January, and ONU was far less expensive than other options closer to home."

This quote from the official announcement was changed from the first announcement the corps posted. In that Hopkins stated that the price of this facility was twice the amount that had been paid for UP-J, but was still lower by a third to the other bids received from other schools. I remember the number of 50K being stated, which when one figures that it is for 200 plus folks for 30 days and complete use of stadium for all but 6 days that's not much. The soccer stadium and all outside fields plus gym, plus...

But I see the wisdom of editing it from the original. If ONU saw that other schools were asking 25K more, wouldn't they increase the price? And if they do, which Devils or Coats homer on DCP should we blame as their informant? Play nice.

re: Unfortunately, the facilities come at an additional cost, but The Cadets' administrative team has been arduously reviewing quotes from numerous facilities since January, and ONU was far less expensive than other options closer to home."

This quote from the official announcement was changed from the first announcement the corps posted. In that Hopkins stated that the price of this facility was twice the amount that had been paid for UP-J, but was still lower by a third to the other bids received from other schools. I remember the number of 50K being stated, which when one figures that it is for 200 plus folks for 30 days and complete use of stadium for all but 6 days that's not much. The soccer stadium and all outside fields plus gym, plus...

But I see the wisdom of editing it from the original. If ONU saw that other schools were asking 25K more, wouldn't they increase the price? And if they do, which Devils or Coats homer on DCP should we blame as their informant? Play nice.

Marching members love corn on the cob.

:tounge2:

Since Hopkins just upped the Spring Training fee by $200 per member because of the higher costs of Ohio rentals, that's certainly going to buy quite a few ears of corn.

Of course, back in the Atlantic East that would be Country Gentlemen, Silver and Gold, and other "sweet" varieties people eat, not that cattle corn that appears in the MidEast and Midwest with names like DeKalb, etc.

True story of Cadets' travails in Ohio.

Back in the early eighties the corps was billeted for a few days at Centreville H.S. in Centerville outside of Dayton. At that time Centreville (where my brother-in-law grew up) was still growing and the high school was surrounded by farm fields and pasture, not the McMansions subdivisions there today. Because the previous night the corps had been caught in a deluge on the contest field at another show, uniform parts including cummerbunds and side sashes were placed along the outside fences to dry while the corps went off to practice. Lo and behold, the neighboring cows found the same fences, seemed drawn to the bright sunrise gold colors and enjoyed nibbling on the cummerbunds, A few tug of wars allowed the corps to be dressed for the gate in time; the cow tipping that might have occurred after lights out may have been a bit of revenge from Easterners who certainly learned their lesson!

If you ever grab Hopkins' ear, ask him about his dealings with Zingali, the Steinbrenners and the Columbus Clippers. Then stand way back...

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

Since Hopkins just upped the Spring Training fee by $200 per member because of the higher costs of Ohio rentals, that's certainly going to buy quite a few ears of corn.

Of course, back in the Atlantic East that would be Country Gentlemen, Silver and Gold, and other "sweet" varieties people eat, not that cattle corn that appears in the MidEast and Midwest with names like DeKalb, etc.

Back in the early eighties the corps was billeted for a few days at Centreville H.S. in Centerville outside of Dayton. At that time Centreville (where my brother-in-law grew up) was still growing and the high school was surrounded by farm fields and pasture, not the McMansions subdivisions there today. Because the previous night the corps had been caught in a deluge on the contest field at another show, uniform parts including cummerbunds and side sashes were placed along the outside fences to dry while the corps went off to practice. Lo and behold, the neighboring cows found the same fences, seemed drawn to the bright sunrise gold colors and enjoyed nibbling on the cummerbunds, A few tug of wars allowed the corps to be dressed for the gate in time; the cow tipping that might have occurred after lights out may have been a bit of revenge from Easterners who certainly learned their lesson!

If you ever grab Hopkins' ear, ask him about his dealings with Zingali, the Steinbrenners and the Columbus Clippers. Then stand way back...

Son of a gun, I was AT that show!

Hilarious! One of the classics!

That was back when we had the show in the Clipper's stadium.

You think "Hash-gate" was bad? You should have seen Hopkins on the pitcher's mound!

I still chuckle. What was that, '84? '86? Wow, how time flies.

Edited by garfield

I would think that in any uniform tug-of-war against a mere cow, Aunt Nellie would have won every time! :tounge2:

Son of a gun, I was AT that show!

Hilarious! One of the classics!

That was back when we had the show in the Clipper's stadium.

You think "Hash-gate" was bad? You should have seen Hopkins on the pitcher's mound!

I still chuckle. What was that, '84? '86? Wow, how time flies.

I was there, too, and like you, I can't exactly remember the year. But it was sometime in the mid-80s.

Yes. This will be my 4th year hosting members.

Why don't they house members like most other corps? Are the hosts paid?