Indiana's New Law

"These state RFRAs were enacted in response to Supreme Court decisions that had nothing to do with gay rights or same-sex marriage," explained University of Virginia law professor Douglas Laycock in an e-mail. "And the state court decisions interpreting their state constitutions arose in all sorts of contexts, mostly far removed from gay rights or same-sex marriage. There were cases about Amish buggies, hunting moose for native Alaskan funeral rituals, an attempt to take a church building by eminent domain, landmark laws that prohibited churches from modifying their buildings – all sorts of diverse conflicts between religious practice and pervasive regulation."

exactly. the original catalyst for the RFRA was largely for native american rituals, but it has since wildly shifted in interpretation. that's why, although 20 states and the Federal Government impelemnt an RFRA, each has its own set of regulations and laws on the subject. which makes it erroneous to discuss them as 20 states with the same practice. this is not to approve or condemn any kind of anything, merely pointing out a false comparison.

• Like 1

But one does not have to be LGBT to decide not to patronize.....

If DCI knows this part of the fan base I'd like to know how.

Off Topic: Stupid ##### name for this as I know people who think mixed race couples goes against their religious beliefs.

Nor does one have to be religious to decide to patronize.

"The conflicts over gay rights and contraception are polarizing the country and endangering religious liberty more generally," he wrote. "Neither side in these fights seems to have any respect for the liberty of the other."

THIS is why DCI should not, in any way, be dragged into a debate regarding Indiana's law.

I like my drum corp loud and tasty, without a single hint of political correctness.

Debate no.... getting hit over sales we shall see....

Kicker is reading over the history of the law, it seemed to be written to protect the rights of religious groups(s) and their practices. Amish and their refusal to vaccinate comes to mind. How this morphed into individuals using it to deny service to who they (don't) like beats me......

• Like 2

Nor does one have to be religious to decide to patronize.

Huh?

Debate no.... getting hit over sales we shall see....

Kicker is reading over the history of the law, it seemed to be written to protect the rights of religious groups(s) and their practices. Amish and their refusal to vaccinate comes to mind. How this morphed into individuals using it to deny service to who they (don't) like beats me......

Exactly. Especially when there has been no evidence, or even anecdotal experience, to suggest that drum corps marching members or staff have been targeted by this law, its genesis, or its outcome.

This is only an issue because a relatively small part of the activity (and the country as a whole) says it is.

I wonder if there are any Amish or American Indians marching drum corps? (/sarcasm)

• Like 1

Exactly. Especially when there has been no evidence, or even anecdotal experience, to suggest that drum corps marching members or staff have been targeted by this law, its genesis, or its outcome.

This is only an issue because a relatively small part of the activity (and the country as a whole) says it is.

I wonder if there are any Amish or American Indians marching drum corps? (/sarcasm)

Wow just had a flashback to reading about PAL Cadets of Bridgeport going south for a national contest and black members being refused service.

The way the law is written, if a corps goes into a business and staff sees two people of the same sex holding hands can staff throw those two out? Or can they legally post a sign saying "No .... allowed" because of this law? In PA people can be fired legally because of this (Pennsyltucky) so interested if I'm reading this right.

This could affect corps housing and other needs if a business can legally say "WIll not do business with....". We've been fixating on ticket sales but let's think of other things....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Wow just had a flashback to reading about PAL Cadets of Bridgeport going south for a national contest and black members being refused service.

The way the law is written, if a corps goes into a business and staff sees two people of the same sex holding hands can staff throw those two out? Or can they legally post a sign saying "No .... allowed" because of this law? In PA people can be fired legally because of this (Pennsyltucky) so interested if I'm reading this right.

This could affect corps housing and other needs if a business can legally say "WIll not do business with....". We've been fixating on ticket sales but let's think of other things....

Pence took issue with accusations that the measure would allow discrimination.

"This bill is not about discrimination, and if I thought it legalized discrimination in any way in Indiana, I would have vetoed it," he said. "In fact, it does not even apply to disputes between private parties unless government action is involved. For more than twenty years, the federal Religious Freedom Restoration Act has never undermined our nation's anti-discrimination laws, and it will not in Indiana."

• Like 1

Frankly - I'm tired of any segment of the population telling me what I should believe, but ESPECIALLY that segment that screams from the rooftops about tolerance and equality - but only if you agree with them.

I couldn't care less about what anyone else believes or does as long as it doesn't threaten me. None of my business what 2 (or more :satisfied: ) consenting adults think or do, but neither do they have a right to tell me what I should think or do.

• Like 5

I do know I am now considering selling my finals tickets and canceling my hotel. Why should I visit and spend money in a state that will discriminate myself and my friends. I hope more will follow. The LGBT community has a huge fan base within DCI. Not to mention members and staff of the CORPS.

Do you have good seats? Can I buy your tickets? I just decided to go to help counteract people like you that have chosen not to support a wonderful activity in order to make a political statement. Never mind the fact that the organization you're hurting has nothing to do with the percieved wrong you're trying to right.

On second thought, I'll buy my tickets direct from DCI and let you eat yours.

• Like 3