Indiana's New Law

I think most would agree that pulling up stakes and leaving town is not something that DCI could easily accomplish (and even the gamer convention that protested the bill before its signing is contractually locked in until 2020), but a statement emphasizing its commitment to inclusion and fairness at all its events would be a very good PR move for the organization right about now. All I know is that my network of friends is not happy about the silence so far. For an activity with such a strong representation of gays in the creative and visual elements, as both designers and participants for decades and decades, it is more than a little tone deaf to not at least release a carefully worded statement.

For those saying the gay percentage of the fan base and participants is 20% "at most," seriously?! That's bordering on a River in Egypt sort of thing. 35% minimum is a safer guess, and that's probably still very conservative.

• Like 3

As to the speculation that the affected drum corps population could be as high as 20% ... regardless of whatever that percentile is, it would be an oversite to assume that their friends and loved ones within the community would not take a stance to support them as well.

The following not directed specifically at garfield:

The fact that we all know this law is directed at LGBT, (and those for and against it here discuss it as such), but turn to general paper-pusher talk to defend it sickens me. I cannot remember a time that I have been more ashamed to have been born, raised and still lived in Indiana. I can only take pride in the fact that my loved ones, mostly hoosiers, don't operate in this world like Mike Pence does.

I appreciate your position, but describing what the actual law does and allows as "paper-pusher" talk is disingenuous.

This law is not directed at the LGBT community (as many have already pointed out it's genesis is directed at Amish, American Indians...). This law is directed at those whose religious beliefs are harmed by governmental action. Nothing more.

Question on the schools are Govt entities.... which Govt has authority? As I stated before it is legal to discriminate in PA based on LGBT lines.

In almost all cases, state laws actually trump the Federal law and, by precedent therefore, local law could trump the state law.

That's what I thought Garfield, thanks.....

I think most would agree that pulling up stakes and leaving town is not something that DCI could easily accomplish (and even the gamer convention that protested the bill before its signing is contractually locked in until 2020), but a statement emphasizing its commitment to inclusion and fairness at all its events would be a very good PR move for the organization right about now. All I know is that my network of friends is not happy about the silence so far. For an activity with such a strong representation of gays in the creative and visual elements, as both designers and participants for decades and decades, it is more than a little tone deaf to not at least release a carefully worded statement.

For those saying the gay percentage of the fan base and participants is 20% "at most," seriously?! That's bordering on a River in Egypt sort of thing. 35% minimum is a safer guess, and that's probably still very conservative.

How about: "DCI accepts all participants and promotes the freedoms and liberties of all Americans. We respect and abide by the laws of our state and federal government."

• Like 1

I looked up the law and for the guy who asked what it is, it means businesses can legally discriminate against, say, LGBT folks based on religious beliefs. I can totally understand why LGBT would be reticent to show up to Indy if they think they might be refused service in restaurants or hotels.

Now one knows how a person who chooses to use tobacco products feels...............and smokers are fortunate enough to even be taxed on the "legal" products they use and are discriminated for using......................

• Like 2

How about: "DCI accepts all participants and promotes the freedoms and liberties of all Americans. We respect and abide by the laws of our state and federal government."

Agree BUT a twist on that is . why respect and abide the laws of a state or at least contribute to their economy when they exclude.. just a thought

• Like 1

Mods: You have shown exceptional tolerance (see what I did there?) by allowing this thread to run.

Thank you.

Agreed. I think dialogue has been pretty civil and I appreciate the mods for letting this topic be discussed.

• Like 1

"Any Fool Can Make A Rule...

And Any Fool Will Mind It."

--- Thoreau

• Like 1