Indiana's New Law

I'm not convinced that the law was passed now because the Indiana legislature suddenly became concerned that the Amish were being forced to accept blood transfusions and Native Americans weren't being allowed to use peyote. Some of the law's advocates have been much less circumspect about its motivations than the governor has been.

As an Indiana lifer that spent his first formative 20 or so years in Amish country, let me reassure you that, while current spoon-fed talking points hit the Amish topic, this is not an issue.

Edited by mingusmonk

Seems many of you aren't so tolerant of diversity of opinion.

• Like 4

Maybe, except MN has on its books a benchmark case (Hershberger) in RFRA law.

As I posted earlier, any suggestion that DCI leave IN must also include a destination it can go where no such RFRA law exists.

Gonna be awfully hard in all but the handful of states that don't have RFRA laws on the books.

To do otherwise is to, in effect, suggest DCI itself fold its tent. Is that what's wanted? Is that a sufficient price to pay for discrimination that is only possible yet not demonstrated?

/not a lawyer

From what I've read, it differs from MN's RFRA law in that it specifically states that anyone who feels their religion has been burdened can find legal protection "regardless of whether the state or any other governmental entity is a party to the proceeding." That appears to be the language that concerns people.

That being said, DCI isn't going to move venues this year ... nor should it.

Money quote from Madison's director via Facebook:

"Indiana is not a state full of homophobes and hatred. If you want to make your voice heard, use the most powerful vote you have -- your dollar. Support the businesses that support your views."

IMO Diversity of opinion <> Get out of my business

And reading the mods response a few pages back I started hearing the theme to 2001... except it is "Thus Spake Zaragoza".... LOL

Edit: Looking at one of the BITD/BMT (BITD/before my time) Drum Corps FB pages and they are discussing this. Some of the folks are older than me and don't sound too happy either with the guv or DCIs response....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I say we should impeach the Indiana governor because he has now derailed my Best And Worst Uniform Thread!

• Like 1

I think where the controversy comes in is that diversity of opinion is one thing, diversity and opinions based on exclusion is quite another thing

Edit: Let's just agree to disagree.

I'm amazed this thread's still open.

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1

. Honoring an edit.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 1

<OK honoring edit also>

I'm sure there are a lot of people in the DC world who see it as a PERSONAL matter. Not being politically correct or being a flavor of the month, etc.

DC has always been about the human side and I don't know how or why the human side is missed in the discussion by some.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1