Highest Attended DCA Show

Ray P and all:

How Lucky and PROUD I am to have competed in:

The National Dream (Both JR and SR parts. Many years apart) and VFW Nationals at Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City, NJ

American Legion Nationals in RFK Stadium in Washington, DC

Barnum Festival in Bridgeport, Conn.

March of Champions (Yankee Rebels show) at Baltimore Memorial Stadium, Baltimore, MD

Can't remember the show name. But, the Big Show in Harrisburg, PA

I was actually trying to find out more about the BIG shows of today.

But Four of the biggest memories' of mine were:

1 - Standing on the Staring Line at the '66 Dream (my First big time Contest). Looking straight ahead to the Finnish Line Seeing a Solid mass of people in the End Zone seats. . As Full as at the 50 yard line. Watching the Kilties on the field, and scared 1/2 to death. "What have I got myself into?" But as most of you know. That disappears once you start.

2 - March of Champions in Baltimore. We had started the season not doing very well. So we Changed the Entire off the Line. Both Music and Drill. But this was the night we put in the NEW stuff. AND by God. We hit it off Fantastic and that made the rest of the show Also as well. The Crowd went absolutely BOZO Crazy. We did not win and the Crowd was really Angry. The 4 Season Song "Oh What A Night" always reminds me of that Night.

3 - Barnum Festival in Bridgeport. Thought I was going to Choke to Death with all the Fireworks Smoke at Retreat. Great show Great Fans though.

4 - Montreal Olympic Stadium in Canada. We were hired to do the 1/2 time for the CFL team. The Stadium had a part of the Olympic Closing Ceremonies Pre game, then us for 1/2 time on that Huge football field. Remember it was marked for a CFL game. Longer and Wider than American Football. What Great fun. Special also for me because I got to ride the Corps BUS. I always worked the Equipment Truck with Gene Warden and another guy.

Edited by 2B or not 2B
  • Like 1

Man, were the Montreal crowds great or what?

Still remember the crowd singing en masse and the reaction to my '84 Bridgemen.

They loved showmanship, excellence, pizazz.

That was a crowd that "got it"...

Can't remember the show name. But, the Big Show in Harrisburg, PA

About what years was this?

Wish I knew the amonut of fans at 1978 AL Nats in New Orleans. Sound echoed so bad you couldn't tell how big the crowd was.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

was it 96 Hershey was an all DCA show? I think it got about 7,000 in there that night.

1974 Hershey (first show I ever saw) was sold out on concert side which I think is 8,000. Had about 1500 or so on the other side where we ended up sitting. Cabs have the Haas vid of that show and you can tell there are a bunch of people back there. Only other Hershey show I made in the 70s was 1976 and looked sold out concert side too.

Rayf.

I was with NY Sky in '76, and it was at a Montreal CFL 1/2 Time show. But, Yes the crowd was very Good to us.

and I meant HERSHEY not Harrisburg for a Big Show.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim;

Yes it was Hershey in '76, and a very good crowd, But meaningful for another reason for me and the Sky Equipment truck.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me know if you two want to hear it. As I have been on a Paul Harvey ..................."and the rest of the Story", in my posts rants lately.

1974 Hershey (first show I ever saw) was sold out on concert side which I think is 8,000. Had about 1500 or so on the other side where we ended up sitting. Cabs have the Haas vid of that show and you can tell there are a bunch of people back there. Only other Hershey show I made in the 70s was 1976 and looked sold out concert side too.

That 74 show Reading won and got booed off the field. It was packed.

1974 Programs went flying too.... Had a great view front the back sideline.... My parents probably wondered what the Hades I was getting into.. :shutup:

1976 taped the whole show on my Radio Shack tape recorder and pitched the tapes after the albums came out. But..... saved the Hershey Chocolatier/York White Roses combo corps exhibition. Have it on CD now. PS - do you want he Sac CD I have?

Jim:

The (BS), "Golden Knights Senior" Corps only lasted the One Year. We came in 13th out of 19 Competing Corps in Rochester. The next year there just was not enough people to keep it going. So many of us moved on to SKY, Cabs, and Sun. I went to SKY in 1976.

But if you have a GK SR from that show in 1975. (or our Exhibition at '75 Dream.) I sure would like one.