Inside the Arc - "The Gods Must Be Crazy"

The idea is to promote conversation, and there are quite a few very intelligent folks on DCP, from constitutional scholars to combat veterans to parents of DCI performers.

We are all invested in the well-being of the activity and free to engage in discussion. It's truly impressive how much this community cares for its future.

I admire anyone who publicly and respectfully offers thoughts on this or any other subject, and celebrate the fact that we do so.

We are fortunate to have this forum. There are places in the world where such conversation is banned, condemned and ruthlessly suppressed. The conclusions of my colleagues are certainly as valid as mine, perhaps more so.

• Like 4

Disagree with his (FD) conclusions

Respectfully (and I mean that) can you, or do you wish to expand on your disagreement?

I'm always interested in reasons "not to get along"...

And please accept that I'm not baiting you - at 63 I've seen a lot of change, and at times feel that I don't understand a lot of the world in which I live.

• Like 2

OK totally off topic but am I the only one who has seen "The Gods Must Be Crazy" but not "Spartacus"?

I do get the "I am Spartacus" reference.... it was in a Pepsi(?) commercial. "Who ordered the Pepsi(?)" (looks at order) "Name of Spartacus"... and of course "I am Spartacus" "I am Spartacus" "I am Spartacus", etc....

• Like 1

In the Hollywood version (brilliantly re-created by Phantom Regiment a couple of years back), the Roman authorities have surrounded the rebel slave army, led by Spartacus.

When they demand that the head troublemaker identify himself, he does so, and so do virtually all his soldiers, each repeating "I am Spartacus" in a show of unity.

Of course, this probably never happened, but makes for a powerful albeit imaginary scene, like the one in the article, which will likely never happen either.

In "Gods", it's a coke bottle (thrown carelessly from a plane) that end's up in the hands of African bushmen who assume it must have come from the gods. As it causes them a good deal of social strife, the god's must have taken leave of their senses to provide such an alien thing.

Some might find parallels within our beloved activity.

OK totally off topic but am I the only one who has seen "The Gods Must Be Crazy" but not "Spartacus"?

Actually, yes! I've not actually seen "Spartacus," but my Grandma and I watched "The Gods Must Be Crazy" when I was a kid. :-)

• Like 1

Actually, yes! I've not actually seen "Spartacus," but my Grandma and I watched "The Gods Must Be Crazy" when I was a kid. :-)

Figures a guy ShenSound saw it also LOL (I know some of the members).... You did better with your Grandmother than I did with my wife. I got the "what the Hell is he watching now" look and then she found something else to do. :tounge2:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

In the Hollywood version (brilliantly re-created by Phantom Regiment a couple of years back), the Roman authorities have surrounded the rebel slave army, led by Spartacus.

When they demand that the head troublemaker identify himself, he does so, and so do virtually all his soldiers, each repeating "I am Spartacus" in a show of unity.

Of course, this probably never happened, but makes for a powerful albeit imaginary scene, like the one in the article, which will likely never happen either.

In "Gods", it's a coke bottle (thrown carelessly from a plane) that end's up in the hands of African bushmen who assume it must have come from the gods. As it causes them a good deal of social strife, the god's must have taken leave of their senses to provide such an alien thing.

Not that there have ever been any issues with Coke in our beloved activity...

Why am I thinking of the jeep nick named the Anti-Christ.....

I do get the "I am Spartacus" reference.... it was in a Pepsi(?) commercial. "Who ordered the Pepsi(?)" (looks at order) "Name of Spartacus"... and of course "I am Spartacus" "I am Spartacus" "I am Spartacus", etc....

Years and years ago - and enjoyed it immensely. Very offbeat and thouroughly enjoyable.

hmmmmm . . . . I wonder if Netflix has it . . . .

Not that there have ever been any issues with Coke in our beloved activity...

I was going to submit [snort!!] as a response which described my laugh/chuckle/exhale...

But in retrospect...

Edited by HornTeacher