Dayton '15

WGI newby here: Has there ever been a significant push to move WGI Finals from Dayton to West/East Coast like we constantly debate here about DCI in Indy? Just curious as I don't know much about WGI history.

WGI newby here: Has there ever been a significant push to move WGI Finals from Dayton to West/East Coast like we constantly debate here about DCI in Indy? Just curious as I don't know much about WGI history.

There was a year, I believe 1996 or 1997 that they held them in Pheonix.

I believe it's been Dayton historically pretty much the whole time, I doubt it'll change.

• Like 1

There was a year, I believe 1996 or 1997 that they held them in Pheonix.

I believe it's been Dayton historically pretty much the whole time, I doubt it'll change.

I do like Dayton -- was stationed there in the USAF BITD. We were there for the Guard finals last year and Percussion this year. Had a great time.

Congratulations to Rhythm X Winds on capturing the first ever championship for winds. Your show was tremendous and set the gold standard for the inaugural season. We were treated by some very talented performers today! Fantastic!

In 1972, it was the Anaheim Kingsman who were crowned DCI's first ever champion. Today, Rhythm X made their own history in achieveing something that can never be repeated.

Great job!

• Like 1

I would like to say congrats to Ferndale Independent in "A" class. Second year in existence and first time to WGI in Dayton. They had no idea what to expect and ended up winning prelims and taking the silver at finals. I have had a lot of great years teaching the marching band at that school, including winning states 6 of the last 7 years I was there. Fantastic program and even better people there!!!

In the earliest years WGI World Championships moved around quite a bit before settling down mostly in Dayton. In 1990 World Championships was in Buffalo, NY, 1997 in Phoenix, AZ, early 2000's in San Diego, CA, Milwaukee, WI a bit later, and maybe a few other moves I've forgotten. Units on the coasts and other far-flung places have complained for many years about always having to travel long distances and "why can't it be (here) for a change?" But with the huge need for rehearsal time requiring cooperation from many schools and districts and other logistical nightmares moving championships in more recent years has been fraught with enough difficulties to make staying at Dayton awfully attractive. And it's certainly much closer to being a central location than the other locales clamoring for a turn.

• Like 1

In the earliest years WGI World Championships moved around quite a bit before settling down mostly in Dayton. In 1990 World Championships was in Buffalo, NY, 1997 in Phoenix, AZ, early 2000's in San Diego, CA, Milwaukee, WI a bit later, and maybe a few other moves I've forgotten. Units on the coasts and other far-flung places have complained for many years about always having to travel long distances and "why can't it be (here) for a change?" But with the huge need for rehearsal time requiring cooperation from many schools and districts and other logistical nightmares moving championships in more recent years has been fraught with enough difficulties to make staying at Dayton awfully attractive. And it's certainly much closer to being a central location than the other locales clamoring for a turn.

Great info. Thanks!

Lebanon OH in PSO was my favorite percussion group of the year.

which is funny when I think back to how I felt about them 3 years ago.....but what's .025?

• Like 1

Newbies all of you!!!.ha. ha.

Early years of WGI had the "championships" on Cape Cod, Mass.

Interesting aside and not meant to re-start the Indy debates, but WGI was offered a nice package to move the whole shebang (free office space, bigger arena, etc.) to Indy about a dozen years ago. Much investigation and soul searching, discussion, and evaluation. WGI said NO! They preferred being the big fish in the small(er) pond. Then U.Dayton added more seating to the arena, Indy priced itself so high for conventions, and Dayton with its enlarged airport has been sitting pretty since. West Coasters still would like a visit occasionally as the San Diego years brought many units who don't travel nationally but also lost out on some of the East Coast and Midwest high schools who fill the annual Dayton-trek each year.

Newbies all of you!!!.ha. ha.

Early years of WGI had the "championships" on Cape Cod, Mass.

Interesting aside and not meant to re-start the Indy debates, but WGI was offered a nice package to move the whole shebang (free office space, bigger arena, etc.) to Indy about a dozen years ago. Much investigation and soul searching, discussion, and evaluation. WGI said NO! They preferred being the big fish in the small(er) pond. Then U.Dayton added more seating to the arena, Indy priced itself so high for conventions, and Dayton with its enlarged airport has been sitting pretty since. West Coasters still would like a visit occasionally as the San Diego years brought many units who don't travel nationally but also lost out on some of the East Coast and Midwest high schools who fill the annual Dayton-trek each year.

AHHHH but there was one even before Cape Cod. wasn't it in the mid west?

Buffalo ...nightmare facility

Phoenix I remember it being one of the nicest WGIs especially it being the 20th anniversary I believe. Many festivities, Opening ceremonies just like Olympics entertainment etc etc. Quite memorable.

Minn. great facilities easy to get from show to show (not much around town but same with Dayton

San Diego , great venue,fun place BUT i remember many within WGI complaining that there should have been many more guards from the west that did not go and support it.

Bottom line is the kids also love Dayton I think mainly because it has become the place associated with the big show. I remember those other year and kids sad not having their possible last year and not being in Dayton. Above all of that I don't think anyone could beat Dayton for many reasons. Most of all MONEY and support.

Edited by GUARDLING