Dayton '15

As a performer, Dayton has become somewhat of a holy ground for lack of a better term. There's an aura of excellence that surrounds the idea of getting to perform there that would certainly be lost if it were to move. That atmosphere that corps people associate with Allentown is the closest I can compare the feeling to.

Yes, Guardling, I know. I helped plan it back then.

Many people were involved. Since my college was near two major airports and I was able to get free meeting rooms for the committees and judges to meet, that's where the circuit reps, interested instructors and judging associations had the round tables. But the West felt it was too far for them to travel and only the West had the money to haul long distance.There was a 5 year lead up of regionals and cross-circuit competitions, the allowance of other than required moves (manual of arms in the East, posting in the Midwest and Ohio, tall flags in the West, 3 fronts of 16 counts required by the ex-military types and most circuits, mandatory maximim size of 18 members, etc.) It took much re-education and kingdom dismantling. WGI did not drop from the sky overnight despite the version prospered by S. Whitcomb who came very late to the discussion..

All this was not germane to the original question of whether the MidStates are always where WGI has been.

Edited by xandandl

As a performer, Dayton has become somewhat of a holy ground for lack of a better term. There's an aura of excellence that surrounds the idea of getting to perform there that would certainly be lost if it were to move. That atmosphere that corps people associate with Allentown is the closest I can compare the feeling to.

Except for the equipment warm-up (color guard) facilities, the UD Arena is a pretty simple and marvelously easy to use venue for everybody, especially spectators. Plenty of other venues have been confusing mazes and logistical fiascos. Beyond equipment warm-up, my only other criticism is that the shallow angle of the slope of the seating areas, especially further back, makes it harder for some of us shorter folks to see over or around the spectators in front of us.

Other than those drawbacks the place is great and dripping with wonderful history. And these days, with WGI playing a much reduced role in lining up rehearsal facilities, going back to the same old Dayton place makes it a hell of a lot easier for out-of-town folks to find and arrange for practice time, and makes going to a new town even more of a logistical nightmare, except for locals.

I would like to thank FIU INDOOR WINDS for there great season and winning the Independent Open Gold Medal we have worked so hard the whole season congrats

They've added a new venue at Miami (Ohio) University that is pretty nice. Similar to UD Arena, but with nicer seats. Not easy to get to though, but a pretty drive.

While we're talking about cities besides Dayton that have hosted WGI finals...I don't remember the specific year, but I attended WGI finals in Nashville, Tenn., one year in the early '80s.

Edit: It was 1982, at Vanderbilt University. LOVED the Cavaliers show that year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDvSwn4BfYc

Edited by oldsoprano

The movement of WGI finals to various U.S. cities was, of course, before the advent of WGI percussion, and now WGI winds.

With the establishment of a home office in Dayton, the WGI staff pretty much camps out at UD arena for two weeks to get the championships all done. To do the same for another city for that length of time would probably be a gruesome undertaking for the not for profit that they are.

• Like 2

AHHHH but there was one even before Cape Cod. wasn't it in the mid west?

Buffalo ...nightmare facility

Phoenix I remember it being one of the nicest WGIs especially it being the 20th anniversary I believe. Many festivities, Opening ceremonies just like Olympics entertainment etc etc. Quite memorable.

Minn. great facilities easy to get from show to show (not much around town but same with Dayton

San Diego , great venue,fun place BUT i remember many within WGI complaining that there should have been many more guards from the west that did not go and support it.

Bottom line is the kids also love Dayton I think mainly because it has become the place associated with the big show. I remember those other year and kids sad not having their possible last year and not being in Dayton. Above all of that I don't think anyone could beat Dayton for many reasons. Most of all MONEY and support.

I had no idea about the different venues - thanks for the info!

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 1

Except for the equipment warm-up (color guard) facilities, the UD Arena is a pretty simple and marvelously easy to use venue for everybody, especially spectators. Plenty of other venues have been confusing mazes and logistical fiascos. Beyond equipment warm-up, my only other criticism is that the shallow angle of the slope of the seating areas, especially further back, makes it harder for some of us shorter folks to see over or around the spectators in front of us.

Other than those drawbacks the place is great and dripping with wonderful history. And these days, with WGI playing a much reduced role in lining up rehearsal facilities, going back to the same old Dayton place makes it a hell of a lot easier for out-of-town folks to find and arrange for practice time, and makes going to a new town even more of a logistical nightmare, except for locals.

warmups in bad weather for percussion isn't fun

• Like 1

Jeff,

Wouldn't that be true wherever WGIP would be save a megopolis site like LOS? Even Atlanta DCI Regionals at the Georgia Dome was no piece of cake either on rain days.

Originally for Dayton there was discussion of a circus sized tent being set in the parking lot for warm-ups, but even then not all units would fit; later units would still end up outside.

Tent idea got re-shaped and ended up as the souvie section.

UD arena does sell out for CG Finals but not so tremendously that a megopolis would be needed for seating. Intimacy that Dayton embraces would be lost.

Edited by xandandl