Dayton '15

Not sure if it means anything since it's the first year. Those kids were young, don't think many Cadets guard members but some C2 kids in there.

Yeh, or should I say, Yea...... ...yes, it was a training program and only C1 involvement seemed to be instructing. Lauren and her Mom basically took over the Hasbrook Heights H.S. program it seems and got George to sponsor. It really should be Cadets 44 or something. But they had their best show at Dayton with one show back at home still to go. Best of luck.

Yeh, or should I say, Yea...... ...yes, it was a training program and only C1 involvement seemed to be instructing. Lauren and her Mom basically took over the Hasbrook Heights H.S. program it seems and got George to sponsor. It really should be Cadets 44 or something. But they had their best show at Dayton with one show back at home still to go. Best of luck.

Haddon Heights I believe you mean...

Yes while Adam Sage was on their staff. It eventually moved to Atlanta-area rather than Greater Charlotte. When he was no longer with Crown, it no longer carried the "Crown" name and seemingly died. However, the involvement of others from then shows it has morphed into other units in Georgia.

Edited by xandandl

Yes while Adam Sage was on their staff. It eventually moved to Atlanta-area rather than Greater Charlotte. When he was no longer with Crown, it no longer carried the "Crown" name and seemingly died. However, the involvement of others from then shows it has morphed into other units in Georgia.

Thanks. I wonder how the Cadets winter guard program evolves. I'm sure lots of C1 guard members already have allegiances to their own winter guard units. Do they start to migrate towards CWP? More Cadets staff and techs involved next year?... Edited by Tobias

Thanks. I wonder how the Cadets winter guard program evolves. I'm sure lots of C1 guard members already have allegiances to their own winter guard units. Do they start to migrate towards CWP? More Cadets staff and techs involved next year?...

From afar, I understand there is a multi-faceted back story to Cadets Winter Guard, something the corps has not had since the mid 1970's. The current edition was meant to be a positive training experience to nurture both the experience and talent of the performers and the experience and talent of the instructors, a full stable with which the Cadets have been richly blessed. But most of the C1 CG (sometimes called CBCCG) instructors for awhile have not been local folk.

USSBA/USBands had been given the criticism by some that the YEA organization was running an indoor CG circuit without ever actually having any experience of running a winter color guard. (The CEO of YEA was a snare drummer, the head of USBands marched Cadets as a contrabass/tuba, etc.) Along comes from the C1 guard a very talented age-out who continues as a C1 instructor who also wrote some of the flag features that were well received from last summer's season. She, the forementioned 2 individuals and the former head of C2 see guard as a weakness for the previous C2 outings and recognize that a training guard under the Cadet umbrella would match several of the needs mentioned here and provide a positive platform for local Cadet CG talent for both guards for the future.

There is more to the story beyond what I have been told and am aware. But the first outing has been an education not just for the performers who marched their best show of the season at Dayton. The mission statement is not yet to take the WGI throne from any other guard. It is not just the same mission statement as the corps proper or CWP (which was aided by many locals on both instructional and member staffs. Plus the CEO has a rich percussion history.) Others will have to fill in more of the story.

I doubt that there will be much change immediately, although CWP was successful competitively their first season out in'14 and included this season quite a few C1 and Carolina Crown members this season somewhat due to an interchanging faculty especially Travis Peterman. Yes, Cadets are involved throughout the nation and at their educational institutions where almost all of them earn amazing grade point averages plus work like anything to amass those funds for tour fees. Workaholics they are.

P..S. Did anyone note the return of Lee Beddis to the Cadets' (corps) percussion staff as a consultant? He marched there in his day as a snare and began his early teaching career there as well. He's now listed on the staff page of the corps once WGI is over for this winter..

Edited by xandandl