2014 Program Discussion

The purpose of this post is for us to discuss all the interesting and fun program points of last year's shows, 2014. I want to start a discussion where we can share what we thought was cool, congradulating the creative design and the performers. Comments should be focused on how a show's element (music, drill, guard movement, costumes, props, sound effects, music choice) helps tell the story of that corps' show.

Please start your post or comment with what corps / show you'd like to discuss. And please keep it positive.

I'll start the conversation with this:

CAROLINA CROWN - OUT OF THIS WORLD

I loved how the the "countdown" in the opener lined up with the rifle tosses. Perfectly matched with David Bowie's "Space Oddesy" get us ready to blast into outer space. And good use of amplified voices, singing the words, "Ground control to Major Tom" with mission control talk all around. And then, way later in the show, they break out into Peter Schilling's "Major Tom" as a fanfare after the drum break following the all trumpet / mello feature. Brilliant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Hs2AQwDgA

Good idea for a topic. Give the season a few months to simmer and see how people feel. Maybe we have a better chance of seeing which shows will be discussed years from now.

I agree Crown should be high on that list for consistency of show design, spectacular brass, and for the kind of finale you can only get in DCI.

The Blue Devils took visual character acting up a notch this year. It's unclear whether that's because of the show concept or if they are heading in a more 'method' direction in general. If all guard is dance, and all dance is visual acting, then ...

The Bluecoats pitch bend, as well as the controversy over it, will fade in memory compared to their 'long form' success with Hymn of Axciom. While slice-and-dice themes and moods will still be the norm, a corps that can make room to evolve the ideas a single work for a good three minutes can have an advantage, and be more memorable for the fans - and future members.

Blue Knights had a gorgeous and wonderfully consistent design and powerful show concept. A hidden gem outside the 'G7'.

Crown...Blue Devils...Bluecoats...yeah, they were all pretty good. But did they make people cry? Did ANY corps make people cry?

Yes...Blue Knights, because of the amazing combination of brass, percussion, guard, visual and narration, made people cry.

Edited by Herk
  • Like 2

I loved the pitch bend. It was a great idea, and a novel use of electronics. I felt it was slightly overdone come Finals - too much of a good thing - but it was still awesomely done. And of course it let them add "tilt" to the music.

BK... I'm one of the few who didn't fall for the show at all. I thought the music was great, but the script didn't match the emotion.

Mike

• Like 2

The Bluecoats pitch bend, as well as the controversy over it, will fade in memory compared to their 'long form' success with Hymn of Axciom. While slice-and-dice themes and moods will still be the norm, a corps that can make room to evolve the ideas a single work for a good three minutes can have an advantage, and be more memorable for the fans - and future members.

THANK YOU for saying something about this. Axciom is what all the members hyped pre-season, they didn't even know about the existance of a pitch bend until mid-move ins. Hopefully more people can look back on the ballad in the future rather than just looking at the closer.

• Like 1

THANK YOU for saying something about this. Axciom is what all the members hyped pre-season, they didn't even know about the existance of a pitch bend until mid-move ins. Hopefully more people can look back on the ballad in the future rather than just looking at the closer.

To me, 2014 Bluecoats is a "Total Package" type show that will be remembered in the future. All 4 charts were fantastic, innovative use of props and guard equipment, simple but easy to get concept, and great use of electronics. Bluecoats and Crown are the corps that I listen to the most from 2014.

The purpose of this post is for us to discuss all the interesting and fun program points of last year's shows, 2014. I want to start a discussion where we can share what we thought was cool, congradulating the creative design and the performers. Comments should be focused on how a show's element (music, drill, guard movement, costumes, props, sound effects, music choice) helps tell the story of that corps' show.

Please start your post or comment with what corps / show you'd like to discuss. And please keep it positive.

I'll start the conversation with this:

CAROLINA CROWN - OUT OF THIS WORLD

I loved how the the "countdown" in the opener lined up with the rifle tosses. Perfectly matched with David Bowie's "Space Oddesy" get us ready to blast into outer space. And good use of amplified voices, singing the words, "Ground control to Major Tom" with mission control talk all around. And then, way later in the show, they break out into Peter Schilling's "Major Tom" as a fanfare after the drum break following the all trumpet / mello feature. Brilliant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Hs2AQwDgA

I would say the Cavaliers hit the nail on the head for me. For a really longtime I was hoping a corps would perform a kind of 'Creepy and Campy' type show.....very nice.

Of coarse I have to mention the Bluecoats as well. The program sort of did similar things for me as the 2003 SCV show. Unknown music set to a fairly fast pace with a handful of highly impacting moments. Enough to keep the crowd engaged and along for the ride.

Madison Scouts because what they did (Musically) was so different than any other corps on the field in 2014. Bravo....

While it's true that the pitch bend in the Bluecoat's closer is something to be remembered, I believe that Axciom should be recognized more for their performance of it. If you listen to the original Vienna Teng soundtrack, you'll hear just how close the Bluecoats perfected this piece. Now, The Blue Knights also had a great show, but I never really got into it as much as other people did. Carolina Crown, while having a very good show, tried to do WAY too much visually in last years show. It would've been better with just one trampoline and, maybe, a frisbee or two, but not four trampolines and 6357487236 frisbees. Cavaliers did pretty well too. I really liked their show last year and found it interesting. SCV had a good show as well, but in my opinion, none could live up to the standard that the Bluecoats set for themselves. (except the Blue Devils of course)