2014 Program Discussion

My take on the rule of threes concept is that it applies when the events are distinct from each other. But something like a sequential flag toss is perceived as a single event because the movement carries us through continuously as a single event. Crown's tosses were somewhat closer to that for me in that it seemed more like one big thing, but I wouldn't call it a completely fluid visual either, somewhere in between.

I think the fans like to see impressive catches, and these were just tosses without the catch. I bet if people had caught them nobody would complain! As the Phantomette declares at the end of their 2014 finals week video, "You gotta catch it!"

I enjoyed Crown the most. Maybe there was a bit much on the field, but I thought use of the tramps was cool, music was stellar and it pulled me in from beginning to end. Bluecoats were my next favorite. Really loved the music. Visual was ok, bend was cool and the concept of the show was great.

Honestly,

2014 was great overall with only a few misses. For me, the idea is to be critical of things during the season, then enjoy it afterwards. Now that THAT season is over with, I have to say that I enjoyed more corps than usual last year.

• Like 1

I thought 2014 top to bottom was one of the best - if not the best - seasons in the last 15 years. Great show designs and performances basically from 20 on up.

I have to say that for me it was awesome to see the Crossmen finally get rid of those uniforms they had been wearing the last 10 years. They were sharp and clean - but they weren't "Crossmen" - especially after they removed all the red from them. I mean - how can it be the Crossmen with no red on the uniform anywhere? Was also great to see them playing a show with a real groove to it.

Edited by cf144
  • Like 1

My take on the rule of threes concept is that it applies when the events are distinct from each other. But something like a sequential flag toss is perceived as a single event because the movement carries us through continuously as a single event. Crown's tosses were somewhat closer to that for me in that it seemed more like one big thing, but I wouldn't call it a completely fluid visual either, somewhere in between.

I think the fans like to see impressive catches, and these were just tosses without the catch. I bet if people had caught them nobody would complain! As the Phantomette declares at the end of their 2014 finals week video, "You gotta catch it!"

Pete,

You have a right to your opinion but your conclusion about the flag sequence is far different from the fact I heard as early as 1972. At the DCI M&M (as it was called back then) clinic and the talk given by the legendary Midwest judge Rick Maas, he used the very traditional flag sequence as the example. Separate events were called (from the musical use) "leit motif" (a repetitious/re-appearence.) By the fourth flag "pre-sent," we knew what the rest of the flag line would do.

In a re-do of the judging session several seasons later, we watched early computer generated animated patterns to observe the repetitions, distinctions, and audience/judge response. Similar data was presented from various doctoral studies from academic institutions across the nation. The audience grows bored. (So does the judge who scores accordingly.)

In this age of A.D.D. and ADHD performers, designers, and ticket buyers, the wisdom of this truth applies even more vibrantly.

One way of evaluating the season is to ask if any corps performed their best show of the last few years, or ever. Everybody values different things about the various corps, but I haven't heard too many 'their best show ever' type comments about this year's shows, except maybe Bluecoats. For me their best recent show is Brave New World. Some who generally don't like BD may see 2014 as their best recent show, but largely because they don't like other recent BD shows. For me 2010 was their 'knock it out of the park' year. The Cadets had Angels & Demons, Phantom had Spartacus (I prefer 2010 there too). Crown had e=mc2. Or perhaps Rach Star, depending on who you talk to.

So, 2014's shows, while excellent, may not qualify as any corps' definitive recent performance, and that may prevent 2014 from being remembered as a truly great year. But, you know, drum corps is like pizza. Even when it's not the best it's still great.

I agree with you that we do not have an "it" show this past year, though we had excellent shows overall. The corps with Blue in their title may somewhat disagree. I agree with your comment regarding Blue Devils. Their show had great popular appeal, not something always associated with BD, but I think in time it will be a sentimental favorite. For Bluecoats, "Metropolis" in 2010is the show I see as their best, but "Tilt" felt different and fresh for me, and I believe was their best effort ever. While Blue Stars placed 8th in 2008-2010, this year's 9th place was against stiffer competition, and I thought I saw the best Blue Knights' show ever this past year. For non-blue corps, I thought SCV had their best show in recent years. I loved their first rendition of "Sherezade" and felt this revisit complemented it.

Pete,

You have a right to your opinion but your conclusion about the flag sequence is far different from the fact I heard as early as 1972. At the DCI M&M (as it was called back then) clinic and the talk given by the legendary Midwest judge Rick Maas, he used the very traditional flag sequence as the example. Separate events were called (from the musical use) "leit motif" (a repetitious/re-appearence.) By the fourth flag "pre-sent," we knew what the rest of the flag line would do.

In a re-do of the judging session several seasons later, we watched early computer generated animated patterns to observe the repetitions, distinctions, and audience/judge response. Similar data was presented from various doctoral studies from academic institutions across the nation. The audience grows bored. (So does the judge who scores accordingly.)

In this age of A.D.D. and ADHD performers, designers, and ticket buyers, the wisdom of this truth applies even more vibrantly.

Yes repetition can be boring, but that doesn't mean the principle applies to the current situation. Sequential guard tosses and other sequential moves are common and often work well. BD's sequential rifle toss in 07 was amazing, regardless of what a dissertation may say about it. The screaming audience attested to it. I'd hate to think there are judges saying, "More than three, I know the rule ..."

• Like 1

Yes repetition can be boring, but that doesn't mean the principle applies to the current situation. Sequential guard tosses and other sequential moves are common and often work well. BD's sequential rifle toss in 07 was amazing, regardless of what a dissertation may say about it. The screaming audience attested to it. I'd hate to think there are judges saying, "More than three, I know the rule ..."

You are right AND it is all about the resolution of a sequential. What was thought of or applied even a few years ago can not be compared with the same principals or conclusions to today's presentations. JMO

I get what the other poster was saying and yes it can be poorly done , not fit, not have resolution or climax and for some a time waster, BUT for those who know what they are doing and doing it well, all that would not apply and make perfect sense and generate purpose, excitement as well as surprise ( If needed )

Edited by GUARDLING

No disagreement when climax, surprise, and resolution are part of the equation. Otherwise it is mostly filler.

While the caption medalists may have extraordinary exceptional applications, there are many more corps and guards in DCI/WGI than just the top 3. Judging clinics and training of designers and instructors includes all these. When whatever the top does becomes the standard of the activity then we have lost both creativity and true education and reduced everything to a Tilted mimicry which is not Out of this World.

No disagreement when climax, surprise, and resolution are part of the equation. Otherwise it is mostly filler.

While the caption medalists may have extraordinary exceptional applications, there are many more corps and guards in DCI/WGI than just the top 3. Judging clinics and training of designers and instructors includes all these. When whatever the top does becomes the standard of the activity then we have lost both creativity and true education and reduced everything to a Tilted mimicry which is not Out of this World.

I do not disagree that there has always been an issue with lower scoring guards , some not understanding the applications. Then top has always set the standards in most everything. Does it mean the best/ not always but they do set the bar. as a matter of fact world guards are supposed to set new standards, do they?, well some would debate no, some debate the direction some take, but in setting standards or at least new ones many leave some ( fans especially ) behind during that process.

Education is there, I myself have done many clinics for new instructors, directors etc etc over the years and people take the advice or they dont. Often with a new instructor some will follow the process or how it works ,others ( as we all did but learned from it ) take on the world forgetting who they are teaching .

More, does not mean better by no means and simple applied right can be over the top fantastic. Those who learn this early on are the success stories in this activity but it's also the reason some designers who have literally been around for many decades are still successful. Some well over that 1/2 century mark , and good for them :smile:

I do totally get ya as far as maybe not all understanding HOW something should be done or how to maximize an effort. Guess that's why there are Top corps and guards and those who aren't.

sorry I think I drifted...lol....long week...BUT I do get ya.

You did make me smile a bit with " FILLER " I haven't heard that word in years, although I used it alot years ago..lol...FILLER WORK here or there. I think there is little room for just filler work theses days without purpose.

Edited by GUARDLING