BAC '93 Audio

I would kill (not literally of course) for video from the '85 and '86 Crossmen - the years I marched. They were on youtube a few years ago but have since been taken down.

Nope.

You're wrong.

Yea, I can't possibly have the tapes I have. They must be forgeries. And DCI must have just tossed the masters in the trash when they got them back from 800 Video Express in '95.

Edited by Kamarag

Yea, I can't possibly have the tapes I have. They must be forgeries.

No... there is no connection whatsoever between your ability to have the tapes, and your wrong claim above that ( quote.. your words at 1:22 pm today, this thread ) : ' DCI does indeed have the non finalist archives on video dating back way further than the early 80's- mid nineties". This statement of yours ( the one I clearly referenced above) was wrong this afternoon when you typed it, is just as wrong tonite.. and will be just as wrong tomorrow.

For context, your initial reply to me above was in attempts to point out my error. But in reality, I am not in error on this. You are. DCI does not have such archived videos we are discussing, ( Craiga poster pointed this out as corroboration for you as well ) This is because DCI had a fire, and those early years video tapes " further than the the early 80's- mid 90's " were lost. Now, having said this, this does not mean that there are not other sources outside of DCI in which one may or may not have the video tapes in question, not did I attempt to convey to anyone at all the impression that you might be lying, or have forgeries, nor that it was impossible for one such as yourself to acquire the non finalist full show video tapes from outside the realm of DCI.

There is a wise old saying that is my unsolicited advice to you, ... : " when you have dug yourself a big enough hole.. stop digging ".. or even better yet, when you are proven wrong, to have the common sense and/ or decency to just stop and admit it, and not choose instead to... " keep digging a bigger hole" for yourself .

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

No... there is no connection whatsoever between your ability to have the tapes, and your wrong claim above that ( quote.. your words at 1:22 pm today, this thread ) : ' DCI does indeed have the non finalist archives on video dating back way further than the early 80's- mid nineties". This statement of yours ( the one I clearly referenced above) was wrong this afternoon when you typed it, is just as wrong tonite.. and will be just as wrong tomorrow.

For context, your initial reply to me above was in attempts to point out my error. But in reality, I am not in error on this. You are. DCI does not have such archived videos we are discussing, ( Craiga poster pointed this out as corroboration for you as well ) This t is because DCI had a fire, and those tapes were lost. Now, having said this, this does not mean that there are not other sources outside of DCI in which one may or may not have the tapes, not did I attempt to convey to anyone at all the impression that you might be lying, or that it was impossible for one such as yourself to acquire the tapes from outside the realm of DCI.

There is a wise old saying that is my unsolicited advice to you, ... : " when you have dug yourself a big enough hole.. stop digging ".. or even better yet, when you are proven wrong, to have the common sense and/ or decency to just stop and admit it, and not choose instead to... " keep digging a bigger hole for yourself ".

So where did 800 Video Express' masters go in 94, smart guy? The freaking fire was in the late 80's. That's at least a six year difference. If DCI doesn't have the masters not, it's not because of some fire. It's for another reason. Because we *know* the masters existed *after* the fire.

EDIT: I was just PM'd a reminder about a discussion with Dan several of us had in 2010 at a show in Dallas, where he was asked about the chances of older non-finalists being offered again, and he said that while they did indeed have the archives, it's wasn't fiscally feasible due to rights cost. I'd completely forgotten about that one. Perhaps we could invoke the name of Michael Boo and have him elaborate on this?

Edited by Kamarag

So where did 800 Video Express' masters go in 94, smart guy? The freaking fire was in the late 80's. That's at least a six year difference. If DCI doesn't have the masters not, it's not because of some fire. It's for another reason. Because we *know* the masters existed *after* the fire.

You dial up DCI tomorrow... on your "smart "phone... and ask them yourself if DCI has in their possession the non finalist full show videos done at Championships " of the corps further back than the mid 80's"

"... and more importantly, can you get them from DCI.

They don't have them. We don't know why they don't have them, just that they don't have them. You can ask DCI yourself when you call them why they no longer have them. I only responded to your initial snippy reply to me that I was wrong and that " DCI " currently has them. They don't have them. At least not available to the public, and of course, for all intents and purposes, this is what we are essentially talking about here, or else whats the hades the point of you telling us above that DCI has them ? So I don't know what else to tell you other than once more, DCI does not have these videos in their possession for the public any longer ( which is what I wrote above.. but which you said was wrong ), and so your initial snarkiness reply to me above was both wrong on the facts and wrong on its delivery.. So there you go.. " smart guy ".

Edited by BRASSO

For context, your initial reply to me above was in attempts to point out my error. But in reality, I am not in error on this. You are. DCI does not have such archived videos we are discussing, ( Craiga poster pointed this out as corroboration for you as well ) This is because DCI had a fire, and those early years video tapes " further than the the early 80's- mid 90's " were lost. Now, having said this, this does not mean that there are not other sources outside of DCI in which one may or may not have the video tapes in question, not did I attempt to convey to anyone at all the impression that you might be lying, or have forgeries, nor that it was impossible for one such as yourself to acquire the non finalist full show video tapes from outside the realm of DCI.

There is a wise old saying that is my unsolicited advice to you, ... : " when you have dug yourself a big enough hole.. stop digging ".. or even better yet, when you are proven wrong, to have the common sense and/ or decency to just stop and admit it, and not choose instead to... " keep digging a bigger hole" for yourself .

Sage advice.

Evidently, older video masters were not lost in a fire, because there would be no legacy DVDs for the preceding years if that were the case.

The reason DCI would not have video masters of non-finalists in the 1970s is because DCI did not film them. I have seen high-camera video from Friday prelims as early as 1980, and am told that it was also done in 1979, but not any earlier.

On the bright side, if the format WGI is tryihg works in DCI and legacy videos are provided for free in order to lower the licensing costs, then that removes one of the barriers to getting the non-finalists shows out there. Sure, that's a long-term goal, but hey ... the chances are better than they were before.

Mike

93 Boston is part of the recordings from DCI available on CD. Starting in 1990 they provided semi-finalists on the CD's. Prior to that it was either records or cassettes. From time to time one pops up on Ebay. I do have Boston 93 and will see if I can make a MP3.

Regarding all of the discussion around semi-finalist video I too would love to see them on the fan site.

I have heard the rumor of a fire destroying early semi-finalist videos. Given the cost I could understand why DCI would not record early years semi's. I believe that starting in 1979 there are some semi-finalist video around. I remember that 800 video express had a high angle recording of Crossmen from 1979. Unfortunately that is one collection I did not buy.

II know for sure that 800 Video express had semi-finalists going back only to 1980. I have high angle Troopers, Blue Stars and Freelancers. From 1982-1984 their collection was spotty. For example for some reason 84 Troopers and Bridgemen were not included in their Through the Years tapes. However 82 Boston and Troopers were part of their collection. The Boston and Troopers collection seemed most complete as included it shows from 1982-1994.

Apart from Video Express I did locate a high angle video of most all of the 1982 and 1985 open class corps (semi-finalists included). Unfortunately there is a synch issue between video and audio on 82. Whomever was looking for 85 Crossmen I will see if I can make a copy of the DVD. I also think I do have many semi-finalist performances between 86-96.

I guess I will restate that I am IN THE MARKET for DCI Prelims videos of Boston Crusaders 1977/78/79/80. As DCI has told me, REPEATEDLY, that these masters were lost in a fire in Lombard, IL, I am hereby offering $100 CASH, for EACH of these years on video.

I have called DCI no less that six times over the years, posted more recently both on Craigslist and here on DCP, and have always gotten the same answer. If these videos do indeed exist, please tell me!!

I have been able to locate only 81 Allentown Prelims on youtube.

Craig