Rap, Hip-Hop, or Pop shows

I'd rather the reasons be things like restraint or a sense of the purpose of the activity. you could make an argument that making the feature of your show a singular celebrity act, and it would become the feature even if it were only a 90sec cameo, goes against the purpose of education and performance.

if Money is the only hurdle, then it gets leapt eventually if somebody wants to do so. I'm not endorsing it, in fact I semi-fear it, but it isn't an action outside of the realm of the possible.

I don't know if anything regarding rapping would "go against the purpose of the education and performance:" in fact, I would maybe argue the opposite. Watching the Foo Fighter's docu-series "Sonic Highways" last fall (a BRILLIANT docu-series about American pop music in various big cities), I got the revelation that maybe relating to modern students via just classical music, or jazz isn't the best way to reach a wider audience (which should always be a tenant of education, at least - reaching the widest audience possible): maybe also utilizing modern popular music would reach a segment of students (or audience) that wouldn't respond to Italian film score, or Swan Lake, etc. What I mean by that, is perhaps interjecting, say, a modern hip-hop rapped phrase would pique the interest of a segment of the intended audience not responding to other more "legit" genres of music; those audience members/students might then open themselves up to exploring more of drum corps and finding an interest.

A lot of that is theoretical, of course, but to write off an entire genre of popular music as "going against the purpose of education and performance" is dangerous, possibly pompous, and potentially unwise

• Like 2

I don't know if anything regarding rapping would "go against the purpose of the education and performance:" in fact, I would maybe argue the opposite. Watching the Foo Fighter's docu-series "Sonic Highways" last fall (a BRILLIANT docu-series about American pop music in various big cities), I got the revelation that maybe relating to modern students via just classical music, or jazz isn't the best way to reach a wider audience (which should always be a tenant of education, at least - reaching the widest audience possible): maybe also utilizing modern popular music would reach a segment of students (or audience) that wouldn't respond to Italian film score, or Swan Lake, etc. What I mean by that, is perhaps interjecting, say, a modern hip-hop rapped phrase would pique the interest of a segment of the intended audience not responding to other more "legit" genres of music; those audience members/students might then open themselves up to exploring more of drum corps and finding an interest.

A lot of that is theoretical, of course, but to write off an entire genre of popular music as "going against the purpose of education and performance" is dangerous, possibly pompous, and potentially unwise

Well said.

I don't know if anything regarding rapping would "go against the purpose of the education and performance:"

oh, i wasn't against Rap. i said that in regards to the influence of a 'celebrity cameo' in a show, which i think would put the MM in the background and make one individual the feature.

after Scouts 2011 I'm now a convert to the thinking that you could make a killer Rap Show, if done right

oh, i wasn't against Rap. i said that in regards to the influence of a 'celebrity cameo' in a show, which i think would put the MM in the background and make one individual the feature.

after Scouts 2011 I'm now a convert to the thinking that you could make a killer Rap Show, if done right

Having paid performers, or designing a show around exceptional performers is in no way "against the purpose of the education and performance" either. Heck, it's incredibly educational and teaches a very valuable lesson.

I'll put in a plug for SCV bit of a slight foray into the realm of " Rap " music with their 2001 show " New Era ". The effects they put into that closer segment was new, fresh, cool and creative at the time, imo... It had the potential risk to appear cheesy, but instead it really worked within that show theme, imo. I thought we'd see something along those lines again in the future from some other Corps but we really havn't in the DCI realm so far.

Except for the barriers created by music copywriting, there shouldn't be any music genre off limits to DCI music writers, imo. There is no such thing as inappropriate music. There is perhaps only inappropriate writing, inappropriate playing, inappropriate presentation, imo

Edited by BRASSO

I'll put in a plug for SCV bit of a slight foray into the realm of " Rap " music with their 2001 show " New Era ". The effects they put into that closer segment was new, fresh, cool and creative at the time, imo... It had the potential risk to appear cheesy, but instead it really worked, imo. I thought we'd see something along those lines again in the future from some other Corps but we really havn't in the DCI realm so far.

It's actually a chant, one that is part of a larger orchestral work. Here's a video of the Contemporary Youth Orchestra playing the New Era Dance, with the chant section starting at about the 6:35 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UghyAJSFlms

You're right though...SCV did take a chance and made something potentially cheesy into something pretty cool. The Reading Buccaneers did a nice job with it a few years later as well. New Era Dance is one of those rare pieces of music that has actually turned out far better on the field than it ever was in the concert hall, IMO.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

I'll put in a plug for SCV bit of a slight foray into the realm of " Rap " music with their 2001 show " New Era ". The effects they put into that closer segment was new, fresh, cool and creative at the time, imo... It had the potential risk to appear cheesy, but instead it really worked within that show theme, imo. I thought we'd see something along those lines again in the future from some other Corps but we really havn't in the DCI realm so far.

Except for the barriers created by music copywriting, there shouldn't be any music genre off limits to DCI music writers, imo. There is no such thing as inappropriate music. There is perhaps only inappropriate writing, inappropriate playing, inappropriate presentation, imo

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/162046-rap-hip-hop-or-pop-shows/?p=3433977

Yes. at the 1 minute mark of this, there is a cool segment of that year's show from them. I wish the brass line passage at the end of this was included in this video segment however, as after the Rap chant, the brass writing in the final segment fit very well with this too, imo.