Rap, Hip-Hop, or Pop shows

I think I'd be alright with hip hop or pop shows.......as for rap, I hope not...I don't think rap is really music....but some think it is and I don't want to debate the subject.

Goofy question: what (if any) is the true difference between hip hop and rap? I honestly don't know if I could articulate a difference/

I guess IMO there are a plethora of amazing hip hop/rap songs/albums out there, however the true art is often mixing samples. Beastie Boy's "Paul's Boutique," for example, is one of the greatest albums ever produced, rap or otherwise, but its genius lies mostly with all of the amazing samples that the Dust Brothers produced for the B-Boys. Also, Public Enemy's "It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back" is also an amazing album, the rap equivalent of Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" (side trivia: Flava Flav has become the go-to joke of 'reality' television, but that dude is seriously a music virtuoso, and can play so many different instruments incredibly well). But, Public Enemy's album is amazing mostly for its sharp social commentary.

To bring this back around to the OT, there are some great pop songs to source, and hip-hop/rap ideas to be mined, in modern drum corps. Perhaps rap/hip-hop source material can be utilized more if sampling by corps becomes more prevalent. I think it would be REALLY cool if, for example, a drum corps did a socially-conscience type show and sampled lyrics from rap songs. Or maybe did more record-scratching, legit DJ-type stuff fused into other genres. There are a ton of ideas to put that type of stuff into a show, it just would take the right show + designers to make it work

<SNIP> ...I don't think rap is really music....but some think it is and I don't want to debate the subject.

No need to reply to this post, since you're not going to debate it.

Just to make clear to all the definition of "music."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/music

1.a : the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity
b : vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony

Check and check. Guess rap is music after all.

• Like 2

in 2006, there was some push-back when the Cadets had a vocal soloist. but since then, we've seen poetry and speech receive enough warmth from enough fans that Vocalization Features aren't necessarily raising ire anymore.
and there's no denying that Madison killed with 'Empire State of Mind' in 2011.

SO.
we can't be too far from somebody doing a rap feature, no? a la https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br-kvk-2jIQ

the musicality of rap has highs and lows, but you gotta admit that there are some works out there that could really work.
example: Eminem's 'Lose Yourself' works musically and thematically. transpose it as a drum feature, a little rap between section solos...

take it a step further, though, how many burdgeoning rap stars are under 21? what's to stop a corps from basically getting some young gun rising hiphop artist to step in and be part of the show, maybe only for friday and saturday? what's to stop a corps from trying to get the newest hot Boy Band into their show?

how soon until a corps, likely the Blue Devils on account of their Hollywood ties, brings a legitimate celebrity onto the field?
definitely a pandora's box concept right there.

take it a step further, though, how many burdgeoning rap stars are under 21? what's to stop a corps from basically getting some young gun rising hiphop artist to step in and be part of the show, maybe only for friday and saturday? what's to stop a corps from trying to get the newest hot Boy Band into their show?

how soon until a corps, likely the Blue Devils on account of their Hollywood ties, brings a legitimate celebrity onto the field?

definitely a pandora's box concept right there.

Money. Corps aren't going to shell out the dough to make that happen.

Money. Corps aren't going to shell out the dough to make that happen.

I'd rather the reasons be things like restraint or a sense of the purpose of the activity. you could make an argument that making the feature of your show a singular celebrity act, and it would become the feature even if it were only a 90sec cameo, goes against the purpose of education and performance.

if Money is the only hurdle, then it gets leapt eventually if somebody wants to do so. I'm not endorsing it, in fact I semi-fear it, but it isn't an action outside of the realm of the possible.

I'd rather the reasons be things like restraint or a sense of the purpose of the activity. you could make an argument that making the feature of your show a singular celebrity act, and it would become the feature even if it were only a 90sec cameo, goes against the purpose of education and performance.

if Money is the only hurdle, then it gets leapt eventually if somebody wants to do so. I'm not endorsing it, in fact I semi-fear it, but it isn't an action outside of the realm of the possible.

Well, it has been done before. You can argue about the success level of the rare instances though.

but you can't judge success or reception in 2016 and beyond in terms of 2015 and before. the culture of 'what will the majority of the audience tolerate/appreciate/enjoy' in terms of accepting Interloping Influence has only gotten more open-minded.

but you can't judge success or reception in 2016 and beyond in terms of 2015 and before. the culture of 'what will the majority of the audience tolerate/appreciate/enjoy' in terms of accepting Interloping Influence has only gotten more open-minded.

Well, of course not. But the point I was making was that the financial investment made in the past has usually (but not always) produced little arguable success competitively. Drum corps is a strange animal. Folks freak out when corps allow some members to march free while the majority pay thousands. If they openly start paying a salary/stipend/allowance for a performer or performers, even more people will howl (despite the adage of "you get what you pay for", and the idea that if you have a marketable talent or skill you should get paid for using it).

My personal stand on this is that if a corps wants to pay for performance, more power to them, and whoever they pay. I'd just hope they'd do it responsibly.

Just to make clear to all the definition of "music."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/music

1.a : the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity

b : vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony

Check and check. Guess rap is music after all.

Well, that's a definition of music but not necessarily the definition of music. Dictionaries are descriptive, and usage changes, and no one is obliged to agree with the lexicographical authorities unquestioningly.

By that definition, most poetry and drama, since those things consist of ordered sounds, are music. But while much has been said of the "musicality" in the words of, say, William Shakespeare or Eugene O'Neill, there's a reason we don't usually think of those men as composers.

(And yes, I think rap is music--and even sometimes good music.)