Crossmen 2015

I hope everyone here knows the story behind the close bonds between the Crossmen and Spirit of Atlanta. Out of that friendship has come a tradition: if either Crossmen or Spirit fail to make Finals and the other Corps does, the Corps in Finals will show the other Corps' logo at Retreat.

I was witness to what was probably the start of the Spirit/Crosmen bond while sitting in the cafeteria at 1979 DCI Midwest in Whitewater. Those two corps had just completed the California/Denver swing. I had a great visit with one of the Crossmen contras (remember those???) He told me all about the trials of their western travel, and how Spirit came to their rescue.

• Like 2

Staff news:

Crossmen Announce new Brass Caption Head for 2016
smason.png
Crossmen announced today that effective immediately, Stephen Mason will take the helm of the Brass Program for 2016. Known most recently for his work at Carolina Crown, Mr. Mason was an integral part of the Crown Brass team in recent years.

“We are excited about bringing Steve on to the Crossmen team,” said Program Coordinator Ed Devlin. “We believe his approach to brass pedagogy and instruction will help further develop the brass program for years to come.”

Mr. Mason takes over for Anthony Cruddas – the Brass Caption Head for the previous two seasons (2014, 2015). The Crossmen Brass section finished in 11th place at the DCI World Championship Finals.

“We felt it was the right time to make some changes in the Brass program,” said Executive Director, Fred Morrison. “While these changes are never easy, we are grateful for the work and development that Anthony [Cruddas] and his team have given to the Crossmen for the last two seasons. We wish him well in his future endeavors.”

Audition information for the 2016 season is available at crossmen.org/membership

About Stephen Mason:

Stephen Mason earned his bachelors degrees at Mars Hills College in North Carolina. Mr. Mason then went on to earn his masters degree in euphonium performance at the University of California at Los Angeles where he studied with Pat Sheridan and Gordon Henderson. Stephen began his teaching career at the Troopers in 2010 and has devoted the last five years as a member of the Carolina Crown brass staff. He is sought after as a clinician and has worked with programs from all over the United States, Japan, and Thailand. Stephen is currently serving as the Winds Coordinator at Rhythm X, in the newly formed WGI Winds division. Stephen currently resides in Indianapolis, Indiana with his wife Danielle.

Breathe dah

I was told of a Brass Staff saying going around: If it doesn't involve "breathe dah", it's above my pay grade.