Color Guard 2015

Drum corps show color guards are just now snapping out of a modern dance phase that has damaged the activity because of its frenetic, repetitious, homogenous, over-emotional clap-trap.

How many shows have you seen where color guards are doing these generic modern dance moves over and over again?

• Clutch your heart, reach for the sky.
  • Fall to the ground on your side in a sleeping position.
  • Fetal position.
  • Contract at the waist, wrap your arms around yourself.

My god, choreographers. Does every piece of music evoke these same generic modern dance moves to you? Recently corps color guards look like they're auditioning for Dance Moms and being treated for anxiety.

The most original new choreography to come out of drum corps recently is Cavaliers vampire character choreography, and SCV's balletic French resistance choreography in Les Mis and their Middle-Eastern inspired moves for Schenerezade.

Edited by Brutus
  • Like 2

He's baaaaaack.

He's actually one of my favorite people on DCP. He may come off as some crazy, over-obsessed person, but he definitely seems to know what he's talking about and isn't afraid to speak his mind about it. I think his claims (that corps need to incorporate his changes in order to succeed) are ridiculous, but he does give some nice suggestions and insights into shows as well as ways for a corps to dive into their theme at a much deeper level.

Honestly, if someone told me he was a part of BD's design staff, I wouldn't even be surprised :tounge2:

Edited by Cappybara

You really can't narrow it down to just modern. They all use almost every type of movement from modern to lyrical and contemporary to Ballet and Jazz. But you have to think about it most choreographers in the guard world come from a Modern/Ballet back ground and is a strong suite. There have been many new uses for all types of movements within the past decade.

I don't see it's damage to the activity. Now the younger guard instructors and even the older ones are taking what's familiar and making something new out of it. You have to think the kids of today and the past decade are not the ones who flock to the usual ballet style or jazz style even though they are recommended. They are taking on Modern, Contemporary and now Hip-hop so you do have to play to the kids strong suits as well.

But I will say it would be nice to see what's taken from the Winterguard stage lately and added to the field, but I do think we will start to some new things from everyone that we haven't seen in the past.

I would like to se more unison equipment work. One of the most impressive drum corps traits is seeing 40 flags moving in perfect harmony. I get the demand component requiring multiple tasking and dance etc BUT I think the "every guard member doing something different" out there sometimes gets distracting. I will say however, the talent out there now is outstanding. Kids leaping in the air doing equipment and body work is crazy! Just would like to see a few small unison features.

Edited by Tobias

I would like to se more unison equipment work. One of the most impressive drum corps traits is seeing 40 flags moving in perfect harmony. I get the demand component requiring multiple tasking and dance etc BUT I think the "every guard member doing something different" out there sometimes gets distracting. I will say however, the talent out there now is outstanding. Kids leaping in the air doing equipment and body work is crazy! Just would like to see a few small unison features.

I agree. Same in WGI, as well. I love watching what the performers are doing and their performance levels are quite impressive and entertaining. But what really generates effect and impact for me are strong, solid, synchronized unison moments. Like you said, 40 flags moving together is really impressive. Like you said, it doesn't have to be the entire show, that would get boring quickly, but at the major impact points it can be quite amazing and create a major full corps effect moment.

Some of the great Cadets guards of the 90s looked so great to my eyes because of the rock solid unison flag work. I appreciate what modern guards are doing, but dancing doesn't so much for me and neither does "everybody doing something different". Neither do sabres frankly, but that's hardly modern.

• Like 2

There are unison moments in some shows but they are short lived compared to years gone by. However, there are lots of smaller group unison moments which seems to be where WGI is.

I watched a bunch of WGI videos on the web (posted by WGI?? on that website) and the skill level is completely over the top. I'm amazed at all the talent!

Aimachi's 2015 show is unbelievable!

• Like 2

There are unison moments in some shows but they are short lived compared to years gone by. However, there are lots of smaller group unison moments which seems to be where WGI is.

I watched a bunch of WGI videos on the web (posted by WGI?? on that website) and the skill level is completely over the top. I'm amazed at all the talent!

Aimachi's 2015 show is unbelievable!

I thought they would have won. They were wonderful.

My god, choreographers. Does every piece of music evoke these same generic modern dance moves to you? Recently corps color guards look like they're auditioning for Dance Moms and being treated for anxiety.

The most original new choreography to come out of drum corps recently is Cavaliers vampire character choreography, and SCV's balletic French resistance choreography in Les Mis and their Middle-Eastern inspired moves for Schenerezade.

I remember the choreography during SCV's ballad in 1999. I'd love to know who came up with it - the dancing was so "out" there it was mesmerizing.

Between the strange "kick-steps" and the rotating mosh pit thing, it was (and still is) one of the most unique sequences of guard choreography put on the field.

it's another great example of Vanguard being true to their name.

Edited by Lincoln