Why are Bluecoats already being counted out of the top?

After reading through the 2015 predictions thread I've noticed that not many people are counting on the Bluecoats to be top 3 or even win DCI this year. I'm just curious as to why this is? It looks as if the Bluecoats have the same exact staff this year. You would think they would be better than they were last year. After hearing rumors about the show I honestly hope they are true. And also after seeing a video of them in January marching, they look like they have a whole lot stronger visual program this year..

Anyone care to explain?

Haven't placed any predictions, but I will say just because you have the same staff, doesn't mean you'll get the same result each year. Also depends on show design and abilities of the corps member.

Haven't placed any predictions, but I will say just because you have the same staff, doesn't mean you'll get the same result each year. Also depends on show design and abilities of the corps member.

You're right. Maybe I'm just expecting the Staff to perform at the same level they did last year. (Of course expecting the members to perform at the same level or better too)

You're right. Maybe I'm just expecting the Staff to perform at the same level they did last year. (Of course expecting the members to perform at the same level or better too)

The only corps I can say 100% will remain consistent is BD and that's because they have a history of being extremely consistent in the top 4 since forever ago

We know a chunk more about the other corps who were scoring around them than we do about them. We've had thorough information about what all the Cadets are doing--webinars, camp videos, etc. We got a show announcement from Vanguard today, and have a good sense of what they've been doing. We basically know that the Devils are going to be top-4 at worst, almost certainly top-3 (unless their show design goes full 2005, anyway). Bluecoats....we know nearly nothing.

We've also been burned by Bluecoats looking like they were on the verge, and then falling back to mid-finals before (e.g. 2010-->2011), so I think people are a bit more cautious this time around. Especially since part of what went wrong for them in 2011 was trying to do another 2010 show (out there structure, heavy on the Mackey, heavy on the electronics before anyone completely knew how electronics worked best in drum corps). Given that they seem to be matching how they announced things last year (one piece at a time, etc.), I think there may be some concern as to whether or not they're falling into the same trap again.

Edited by ftwdrummer

One incredibly fantastic show, from one incredibly fantastic Corps, from one incredibly fantastic group of members and staff, in one incredibly fantastic year...no matter the level that "incredibly" (and I use it above in its' most positive and/or optimistic of senses) fits....

Does not a perennial odds-on favorite make.

Edited by HornTeacher

I think the predictions thread can be fun, but it's not to be taken seriously. There seem to be only a few consistent elements on it so far - that Cadets are going to have an incredible musical show (because we've heard clips) and that BD will be at or near the top because they almost aways are.

When I want to know about the upcoming DCI season I contact the Psychic Friends Network but it's getting a bit expensive.

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 3

I'm sorry, ContraCoats. While I will not retract or edit my earlier words, I would also be of the first to see and admit that they may have been exceedingly harsh.

You're right...at this point in time, Saturday, 2 May, 2015, the Bluecoats have the same statistical chance of winning the 2015 DCI Open Class Championship as any other Open Class Corps. And as a decidedly non-Bluecoats supporter, I remain to extend to you my hopes that your Corps should find a maximal conclusion to its' season and endeavors.

However...every year is a new year. New music, new program, and new membership (remember, it only takes but one new member to your Corps to make it an exclusively different Corps from any past Bluecoats organization).

To answer the question on your initial post more succinctly....

Are you expecting the 2015-2016 Wisconsin Badger Men's Basketball team to be considered an automatic lock in the Final Four of next year's NCAA tournament?

Edited by HornTeacher

After reading through the 2015 predictions thread I've noticed that not many people are counting on the Bluecoats to be top 3 or even win DCI this year. I'm just curious as to why this is?

One simple read of those posters comments above that have the ' Coats not replicating last season's 2nd place finish have provided their reasons in their predictions. Did you perhaps not read their reasons cited above ?

Edited by BRASSO

I think the predictions thread can be fun, but it's not to be taken seriously. There seem to be only a few consistent elements on it so far - that Cadets are going to have an incredible musical show (because we've heard clips) and that BD will be at or near the top because they almost aways are.

When I want to know about the upcoming DCI season I contact the Psychic Friends Network but it's getting a bit expensive.

Hey, LIncoln...I"m sure that you can find a cheap (i.e., "free") alternative on-line somewhere. However...be wary if they also predicted that the end of the world WOULD indeed happen on 23 December, 2012. :colgate: