Why are Bluecoats already being counted out of the top?

Actually, over the years on DCP I think there's quite a bit of "rooting against" corps - and in the stands as well. This is sometimes related to the program that a particular corps is doing, but often it's just because of who they are. The DCI honor of being the bad guy is usually correlated with recent success or perceived advantages, of course.

I'd like to think that there's more people rooting for all/some corps than against, but much of the time it doesn't seem that way. As xandandl said, you can't teach class... and I'll add sportsmanship to that list as well.

Personally, I agree with both xandandl and you, cajal. But I think that it boils down to something far simpler -- human nature. And mindless railing against those who achieve success is often nothing more than granting a subconscious level of respect for those who we perceive ourselves to respect the least.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

Pulling for one's favorite corps to do well is a natural given. However, I could never see the sense (or lack of grace) in actually rooting against a group of kids just because one "dislikes" a corps.

Agree and Ill take it further.

I can't see the sense in disliking a corps. A particular show -- sure. And perhaps there are corps whose programs you generally don't connect with. But IMHO one of the things that sets marching music apart from other activities is that sense of comraderie -- everyone is kind of in the same boat. Silly to hate an individual corps. Have a rivalry with them -- sure. But it's just not the same as sports teams. It's above that :-)

• Like 3

Agree and Ill take it further.

I can't see the sense in disliking a corps. A particular show -- sure. And perhaps there are corps whose programs you generally don't connect with. But IMHO one of the things that sets marching music apart from other activities is that sense of comraderie -- everyone is kind of in the same boat. Silly to hate an individual corps. Have a rivalry with them -- sure. But it's just not the same as sports teams. It's above that :-)

Same here. For instance, last year, I didn't like The Cadets show. I didn't mask it either (and probably made myself sound like an idiot some times for that). BUT I never wished them to drop (I would have wanted Bluecoats to move up whether it was Crown, Cavaliers, ect. in the same spot as The Cadets were because of their show, not because it was The Cadets in 2nd), or do badly, or "hate" them because they were The Cadets. If that was the case, "The Power of Ten" wouldn't be at the top of my list of shows I'm #### excited to see. It just depends year to year what shows I like and which shows I don't to determine who I support a little more than average. There are two or three I always want to do well, but other than that, it just depends.

• Like 1

Same here. For instance, last year, I didn't like The Cadets show. I didn't mask it either (and probably made myself sound like an idiot some times for that). BUT I never wished them to drop (I would have wanted Bluecoats to move up whether it was Crown, Cavaliers, ect. in the same spot as The Cadets were because of their show, not because it was The Cadets in 2nd), or do badly, or "hate" them because they were The Cadets. If that was the case, "The Power of Ten" wouldn't be at the top of my list of shows I'm #### excited to see. It just depends year to year what shows I like and which shows I don't to determine who I support a little more than average. There are two or three I always want to do well, but other than that, it just depends.

Yup that's exactly my sentiment too. I unconditionally love PR shows because they're by far my favorite corps. But after that, the corps I like year to year depends on what show they're putting on. That's why I qualified my signature to say "I guess you could say I like the color blue in 2014". There's a very good chance some corps that were on there last year will disappear after this season and be replaced by different ones.

• Like 1

I think that we've confused the meaning that anything we don't automatically "like" immediately indicates a "dislike." Whatever happened to "meh"??

And even if we find ourselves "disliking" a show, I think we should still consider the fact that it's not the performers who were initially responsible for putting the show together...it was a staff of adults, who stand off to the side mumbling "But they're not adequately conveying the image we had in our minds."

Should a show increasingly head south through the season, how many staffs would resort to saying to the kids "WE'VE got a problem."? It's always easy, in a group endeavor, to suddenly speak in terms of "WE" when all begins to go badly...but yet, when all goes right, it's amazing how many "I's" suddenly pop up. Believe me, I've been there and suffered from it...too many times to even count or consider...

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

Whatever happened to "meh"?

You've got me humming your post to this song: