Blue Devils 2015 - "Ink"

As usual, there is a lot going on in this show.

When I saw it at DCI MN I didn't know where to look.

Next viewing will be Big, Loud & Live where I don't get to look where I want. :notify:

A very entertaining year for DCI. Wish I could afford to go to finals. :mellow:

• Like 2

Cadets are just getting started. Hype!

Edit: oops I'm on the wrong thread. Hype anyways!

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the voices are saying over an over again in the show….can't make it out/figure it out? Help? Clarification?

And that's a good thing, but to keep winning they're gonna need every tenth they can get.

Serious question: anyone know the logic behind the visual staff's approach to teaching drill, in recent years? The WGI model -- working without charts -- seems like a cool idea, but the more vids I see, the more often I notice people who just aren't, like, in the right spot... at all...

With competition (thankfully) amping up from other corps, and the activity getting more ocmpetitively interesting, I'm sort of curious about this approach. It seems risky, cleaning-wise.

I meant it as a complement. I think they're an amazing corps year after year. My Cadets are struggling to clean up their show but I have faith.

I know you did. No worries at all. And your Cadets are beast mode!! I don't buy the whole tired thing with the Cadets. But if they are truly tired, then i wanna be exhausted all the time. Cadets are no joke. If BD doesn't win 17, then i hope your Cadets get 11.

• Like 1

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the voices are saying over an over again in the show….can't make it out/figure it out? Help? Clarification?

Bueller????? Bueller??????

The drumline has a lot of vets. I think my son is the only rookie in the pit or maybe one other person. 6 of the snares are vets. 2 of the tenors are and the bass line is the same as it was last year.

The hornline has a lot of rookies and I have no idea about guard. I spoke with a few euph players at my home during one of their days off and he said they were not making some of the mistakes they did last year and this group can really handle the book.

Visuals I know very little about. Judging by the music captions they are struggling I guess but this show is my favorite drum corps show of all time!

All I can say is who ever wins gold will deserve it. This is the best year I have ever seen!

I spoke with one member who used to be a Cadet and he said the way they work the corps is very hard. BD is more laid back and let them rest more. If this year does have more rookies then they are not working smart. I did hear a quote from TJ "you guys can't half @** it during the day and expect the other half to come at night" She does not play around!

Serious question: anyone know the logic behind the visual staff's approach to teaching drill, in recent years? The WGI model -- working without charts -- seems like a cool idea, but the more vids I see, the more often I notice people who just aren't, like, in the right spot... at all...

With competition (thankfully) amping up from other corps, and the activity getting more ocmpetitively interesting, I'm sort of curious about this approach. It seems risky, cleaning-wise.

I think the idea is to basically "stage" a production like you would a Broadway show. You figure out the big impact moments and where you want everyone for those. Then, you fill in the blanks in between. Sometimes you use organized drill movement and other times you use more "creative" movement. My understanding is that they eventually DO create drill sheets for the production and use those for the more precise cleaning needed to perfect the show.

This method seems to work amazingly well when you have a lot of experienced veterans in the corps (i.e. last year). It appears to take a bit longer to reach "perfection" when you have a lot of newer members (new to the system, not necessarily to drum corps...like this year).

• Like 1

We have seen all of the corps a number of times this season and the BD show is incredible to watch. It is once again unique and in an activity that strives for innovative material, it is amazing that the BD staff and members consistently find it.

Looking forward to Indy, should be a good one!

Go BD

• Like 1