Blue Devils 2015 - "Ink"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't BD lagging in GE reminiscent of some previous DCI era? 90s? '00s? Some time before BD got really creative/out there. I just seem to remember a time when, as a kid, I'd look at DCI scores, then come on here, and see people saying BD's GE was so low because of "too many rotating boxes" and "too much park & blow"

I think the bigger factor is the shows Coats and Crown are putting out this season are GE monsters. In a lot of years BD would be scoring fine in GE, they're not scoring terribly now actually, just can't match the other two.

• Like 1

Crown was good (if you like triangles) but I really don't see how they beat Cadets! I really love Cadets and Bluecoats shows!

lol, shade

I love me some Crown, but that's some funny stuff right there.

• Like 1

I think the bigger factor is the shows Coats and Crown are putting out this season are GE monsters. In a lot of years BD would be scoring fine in GE, they're not scoring terribly now actually, just can't match the other two.

I agree. Well, sort of. Crown outpacing ANY other top 5 corps on a GE chart looking at visual is suspicious to me. In every other way, yes. But the visual design is fairly risk-free, imo, and I can think of a few places where their dance/movement is a distraction. (Stop bouncing in place just because you're playing eighth notes, please. Take less adderall.)

Edited by saxfreq1128

Penalty for warmup. Using a dr beat with drums not allowed

There is no such thing as a dr beat!!! It's a "Dr. Beat." :doh: Otherwise, some dummy will think you are referring to a "drum beat."

See, punctuation does matter, just like your 3rd grade teacher always told you. :cool:

+++

Which is correct:

Is is time to eat Grandmother?

Is it time to eat, Grandmother?

:poke:

Edited by wvu80

I keep seeing recent practice videos and noticing so many changes (the INK moves left as the clusters are rotating?! since when?!) that have sold me on this being the show of the year. I wasn't sure before -- Crown is a powerhouse, Cadets' first 5 minutes alone are worth the price of admission, and I find SCV's show incredibly elegant.

But BD has made some drill changes that just really sell the music better than most of the drill out there. The way that lower brass block expands and contracts with their music more than it did before, and even the way the INK's rotations change velocity, now, to make it more surprising when the INK reappears, have sold me. I always love BD but agree with the years they don't win (Bacharach; Stracinsky...), but this year? It'd be a crime. Crown is great, but BD is making me feel the feels.

I think the closer was perfect.

They had gotten rid of the tarps for Allentown (maybe because of grass?) but now are back. I do not like em.

too messy makes it look way too cluttered.

For the record, I really like the addition of the little girl to the show. She's adorable, does a great job selling her role and her expressions, and adds a really nice touch to the show (and I love the fact that she is from the C corps). Yet another nice element to an already great show.

I do have a legitimate storyline question about it though, from a design standpoint. Forgive me in advance if this is WAY too literal and nit picky. The characters in the show are jumping off of the pages onto the field and coming to life. They come from "behind" and through the book to create the effect. Great idea.

The girl comes from the same place - through one of the books, just like the characters. So isn't she jumping off the pages of the book into the action, just like the characters? If so, that doesn't make too much sense (IMHO), since she is the reader and OBSERVER of the story, not a participant.

Seems to me logically she should have a different entrance than the characters of the story, no?

Anyway, great season, and can't wait to see how it ends!

• Like 2