2014 Use of Electronics

Since we've had electronics and amplification around for several years, let's discuss it's use in 2014 shows and how effective it was.

I figure we can catagorize it in the following uses:

Amplifying / Altering traditional DCI accoustic sounds (brass, battery, pic)

Amplifying / Altering live voice

Use of prerecorded voice

Use of prerecorded sound effects

Use of synthesized traditional non-DCI instruments (piano, guitar, organ)

Use of other traditional synth sounds (bass, synth strings)

Any other uses?

Well, in 2014, the answer to just about every "who did it best" question is Blue Devils in pretty much any category you can come up with.

• Like 1

Well, in 2014, the answer to just about every "who did it best" question is Blue Devils in pretty much any category you can come up with.

Eh idk I think the Bluecoats did it better personally. But there definitely was nothing bad about the way BD used electronics last year.

• Like 1

BK's use of recorded voice was nice.

• Like 2

Bluecoats nailed synth this year better than anyone else in terms of usage and execution, and not just the obvious pitch bend moment in the closer. It was seemlessly integrated throughout.

• Like 3

Bluecoats nailed synth this year better than anyone else in terms of usage and execution, and not just the obvious pitch bend moment in the closer. It was seemlessly integrated throughout.

I was gonna say that as well, not just for the pitch bend. There's all sorts of neat stuff throughout there.

Heard both live, live-stream, and Blue Ray, and I cannot agree with this assessment. I felt their use of electronics across the board was one of the main detractions from enjoying their show as much as I could have, including over-riding and over-powering the bass line, inserting segues between pieces that seemed both out-of-place and distracting, and over-emphasizing the pit.

But then again, I'd be hard pressed to identify any redeeming use of electronics all season by any corps. Call me old-fashioned all you want, but I know a 14 year old marcher who feels the same way.

[Now that the opposing viewpoint has been aired, this thread may return to its regularly scheduled devotion to electronics]

Heard both live, live-stream, and Blue Ray, and I cannot agree with this assessment. I felt their use of electronics across the board was one of the main detractions from enjoying their show as much as I could have, including over-riding and over-powering the bass line, inserting segues between pieces that seemed both out-of-place and distracting, and over-emphasizing the pit.

But then again, I'd be hard pressed to identify any redeeming use of electronics all season by any corps. Call me old-fashioned all you want, but I know a 14 year old marcher who feels the same way.

[Now that the opposing viewpoint has been aired, this thread may return to its regularly scheduled devotion to electronics]

The use of electronics between pieces is the only reason why the transitions weren't awkward. Plus they were part of the original source music. But then again, you're going to hate electronics no matter what so I guess it's pointless to bother.

• Like 2

IMO I don't recall any corps' specific use of electronics to be egregiously offensive to me: meaning, like with everything, some stuff I like, some I loved, some I didn't like. That's more, IMO, a design choice than anything else. From the FN stuff I watched I didn't really notice anything sticking outrageously out of the ensemble or too inappropriately loud.

I think, unquestionably, Cavaliers had the best use of amplification: no one else really accomplished what they did. The amount of logistical work involved with moving those marimbas around in several different areas of the field throughout the show is INSANE and every FN show I heard the electronic end of that was seamless and done correctly. I think that's something very few fans would know how much work was involved from the electronic EQ'ing side of that, and while I have quite a bit of experience teaching front ensembles and dealing with different aspects & circumstances of EQ'ing, I didn't even know all of the logistics involved until talking to an instructor about it. That was such an incredible challenge and they pulled it off amazingly