2014 Use of Electronics

Amplifying / Altering traditional DCI accoustic sounds (brass, battery, pic)

Amplifying / Altering live voice

Use of prerecorded voice

Use of prerecorded sound effects

Use of synthesized traditional non-DCI instruments (piano, guitar, organ)

Use of other traditional synth sounds (bass, synth strings)

injecting artificial crowd response

subliminal messages / back masking

I laughed outloud reading this, but then remembered watching the Cadets show, during the closer they used recordings of a presidentail speech (maybe President Obama's "Yes We Can" speech, and I heard thunderous applause, but then I looked around me and saw no one was cheering. I'm sure it wasn't the intended reaction, but they totally pumped in cheering during their closer.

Wow, I loved how they used it all throughout their show. It was tasteful and I thought masterfully done. I would absolutely disagree 100% with calling their usage lazy, gross, worn-out, crammed, inappropriate, out of place and overused. Have you emailed their design team and shared their thoughts and how you could have done it better?

I believe Blue Devils also used it a very high level as well. I can't wait to hear how they utilize it with "Ink"

I absolutely love the use of electronics as a new layer within these shows and can't wait for more corps to push the envelope with it.

Why would I write the Bluecoats with my design ideas? Do people really do that? They seem to be doing well without my input but glad you liked it

I was late to their show, only saw them once before finals week, and was looking forward to digging into the music after the season and was really disappointed by what I heard on the CD, which in the context of the live read; glad it was lost but then it's a mixing failure.

Many great composers seem perfectly content to let the tympani player sit on their hands for most of a piece. The constantly occupied synth player is a great malaise on the integrity of the drum corps worlds’ musical ensemble, the worst offender of the overly busy pit.

Why?

Edited by cowtown

Many great composers seem perfectly content to let the tympani player sit on their hands for most of a piece. The constantly occupied synth player is a great malaise on the integrity of the drum corps worlds’ musical ensemble, the worst offender of the overly busy pit.

Why?

This is a topic that deserves it's own thread, and is drum corps biggest anathema. You can tacit the brass or battery as long as you want, but god forbid the pit ever takes a single note off....

• Like 2

I'm still the old fart when it comes to electronics. They should have stopped at the pit instruments. There hasn't been one single use of synthesizers or amplified voice/brass by any corps that I have enjoyed. Pretty much the reason I've stopped going to live shows.

A shame that you're missing out on good drum corps.

• Like 2

Wow, I loved how they used it all throughout their show. It was tasteful and I thought masterfully done. I would absolutely disagree 100% with calling their usage lazy, gross, worn-out, crammed, inappropriate, out of place and overused. Have you emailed their design team and shared their thoughts and how you could have done it better?

I believe Blue Devils also used it a very high level as well. I can't wait to hear how they utilize it with "Ink"

I absolutely love the use of electronics as a new layer within these shows and can't wait for more corps to push the envelope with it.

I agree. I really don't understand his critique of Bluecoats' show either. Maybe, as he seems to be implying, my ear is not "sophisticated" enough to realize how apparently awful the Bluecoats show was.

I'm still the old fart when it comes to electronics. They should have stopped at the pit instruments. There hasn't been one single use of synthesizers or amplified voice/brass by any corps that I have enjoyed. Pretty much the reason I've stopped going to live shows.

As an overall aesthetic point of view, I agree. But while there's still lots of room for improvement (i.e., more sparing use of electronics), I found that the situation was markedly better in 2013 and 2014 than it had been in 2009-2012.

A shame that you're missing out on good drum corps.

Why is it " a shame "' ? and to whom is it " a shame " ? Unless I'm mistaken, he just said that he has seen and heard these Corps with the use of these things and so it has ruined it for him going anymore to these show to see these Drum Corps live. So how exactly is he personally " missing out" on something that he just told us he does not, and would not, enjoy ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Does anyone know what years amplification and synths were allowed into DCI?

Amplification of pit instruments and voice began in 2004, and electronic instruments (synthesizer keyboards, guitars, sampling, major signal processing) and the amplification of non-pit instruments became legal in 2009.

Edited by Kamarag

Still unnecessary. Still unimpressive. But thanks for asking.

• Like 2