2014 Use of Electronics

It took a while for corps to learn how to do it properly and in a way that wasn't very intrusive. The poor Cadets are still trying to learn.

They have brought in a former student of mine with theHS band I work with to be their sound guy this summer. He switched his major from percussion performance to audio engineering. He was the most amazing mallet player I have ever had the pleasure to write for and teach.If anyone can help them over the hump, he can.

That's because those who "hated electronics" are no longer around DCP.

Still here, still opposed to electronics and amplification on principle,* and still tolerate them when used well.

*Particularly when--as often--what they contribute would be more interesting if done acoustically or live.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 2

BK's use of recorded voice was nice.

Would have been nicer if it was live--like Crown in 2013 or Cadets in 2014.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Count me as one who despised electronics in all forms when introduced. I've come around to where there are some things I like and some I don't.

I don't mind straight amplification of the mallet instruments or brass soloists. I think some of effects are nice and can add to the flavor of the show. I LOVED the bend at the end of TILT.

What I despise and don't think I will ever like is the use of synthesizers to fatten the bottom end. I want to hear low brass, not electronic bass. It has gotten to the point where it seems every time there are lows that designers want to emphasize all you can hear are the synths completely drowning out the low brass rather than supporting or embellishing it.

Edited by cf144
  • Like 4

The questions to ask are:

1. Is everything in the mix audible at all times?

2. If not, why not?

3. What's to be done?

These are the issues addressed in professional live sound situations. Technology changes, but musical principles remain. Balance and blend continue to be sub-par for most corps as they attempt to integrate synthetic sound with acoustic instruments.

There are signs of improvement, however, as both designers and adjudicators become better informed.

It wasn’t until I heard the CD that I caught what was really going on with Bluecoats and it was gross, out of place and overused. They did a much better job in some of their past years.

The choral sounds in the ballad steps on the brass tones in a very bad way, worse than your normal Goo. I heard it live too. Before I saw or heard Coats this year someone on this board asked about it which, was met by the experts here with' their brass was so good it sounded like a choir', So yeah, how many of you have actually heard what was going on? Perhaps I should go searching for that thread to see who has the ears

the backing synth on some of the lead horn parts sounds rushed, wimps out the horn playing by over-riding it with support, it’s not needed, it’s a diaper…can’t the brass do it on their own? Guess not, ‘Coats over use this gimmick year after year, it’s their live Dr Beats, show me a brass player that likes that done to their parts or even likes hearing it.

Also something they’ve beat to death but it fell on it’s face this year, little synth riffs to lead into a big brass hit, they try to sneak it in at the end of the build, it’s musically unsound and a distraction. There is no need and no place for it.

Bluecoats are in a lazy usage for usage rut, falling back on old tricks that are worn out and become inappropriate; same ideas crammed into different compensation become out of context and a crutch

Blue Devils did a better job this year; their 2012 show is still the overall best example of heavy electronic usage that adds to the show.

Musically, 2014 was a lean year for me, only 4 corps got ripped, so listened to enough for me to have a good read on and of those, it was BD...others may have done it better but I missed it

• Like 1

Your best chance at hearing acceptable sound would be sitting in the GE judge's lap.

LOL... not my idea of a fun time..... even if I might happen to know them

The use of synthetic, artificially produced effects, does turn the corner for Drum Corps in performance competition however ( without taking a position here on whether this is neccessarily a " good " thing or a " bad " thing, here ).

This is because a single " adult sound engineer " is now more important and worth more points to be had in performance competition than a single youth performer, performing on their brass, percussion, or with their Guard equipment.

Anybody here disagree with this observation ?..... and if so, could you explain to us why you do not share this assessment ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

It wasn’t until I heard the CD that I caught what was really going on with Bluecoats and it was gross, out of place and overused. They did a much better job in some of their past years.

The choral sounds in the ballad steps on the brass tones in a very bad way, worse than your normal Goo. I heard it live too. Before I saw or heard Coats this year someone on this board asked about it which, was met by the experts here with' their brass was so good it sounded like a choir', So yeah, how many of you have actually heard what was going on? Perhaps I should go searching for that thread to see who has the ears

the backing synth on some of the lead horn parts sounds rushed, wimps out the horn playing by over-riding it with support, it’s not needed, it’s a diaper…can’t the brass do it on their own? Guess not, ‘Coats over use this gimmick year after year, it’s their live Dr Beats, show me a brass player that likes that done to their parts or even likes hearing it.

Also something they’ve beat to death but it fell on it’s face this year, little synth riffs to lead into a big brass hit, they try to sneak it in at the end of the build, it’s musically unsound and a distraction. There is no need and no place for it.

Bluecoats are in a lazy usage for usage rut, falling back on old tricks that are worn out and become inappropriate; same ideas crammed into different compensation become out of context and a crutch

Blue Devils did a better job this year; their 2012 show is still the overall best example of heavy electronic usage that adds to the show.

Musically, 2014 was a lean year for me, only 4 corps got ripped, so listened to enough for me to have a good read on and of those, it was BD...others may have done it better but I missed it

I'll put you down in the "no" category on if you are an electonics enthusiast!

Wow, I loved how they used it all throughout their show. It was tasteful and I thought masterfully done. I would absolutely disagree 100% with calling their usage lazy, gross, worn-out, crammed, inappropriate, out of place and overused. Have you emailed their design team and shared their thoughts and how you could have done it better?

I believe Blue Devils also used it a very high level as well. I can't wait to hear how they utilize it with "Ink"

I absolutely love the use of electronics as a new layer within these shows and can't wait for more corps to push the envelope with it.

• Like 2

I'm still the old fart when it comes to electronics. They should have stopped at the pit instruments. There hasn't been one single use of synthesizers or amplified voice/brass by any corps that I have enjoyed. Pretty much the reason I've stopped going to live shows.

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 2