2014 Use of Electronics

IMO I don't recall any corps' specific use of electronics to be egregiously offensive to me: meaning, like with everything, some stuff I like, some I loved, some I didn't like. That's more, IMO, a design choice than anything else. From the FN stuff I watched I didn't really notice anything sticking outrageously out of the ensemble or too inappropriately loud.

I think, unquestionably, Cavaliers had the best use of amplification: no one else really accomplished what they did. The amount of logistical work involved with moving those marimbas around in several different areas of the field throughout the show is INSANE and every FN show I heard the electronic end of that was seamless and done correctly. I think that's something very few fans would know how much work was involved from the electronic EQ'ing side of that, and while I have quite a bit of experience teaching front ensembles and dealing with different aspects & circumstances of EQ'ing, I didn't even know all of the logistics involved until talking to an instructor about it. That was such an incredible challenge and they pulled it off amazingly

I think you're speaking from a more technical POV.

I'd have answered the question Bluecoats as well. To me at least it seems they're more creative in their use of the electronics. Crown, Cavies and BD all seem to do amplication pretty well (in that it doesn't reach out and scratch the blackboard) -- it's unobtrusive.

And Crown still has one of my favorite uses of electronics ever -- ballad in 09 where Nick Starr played the celeste patch in the middle. Always was breathtaking how quiet an entire stadium could be in that moment.

In fact Nick was a pretty much beast at everything he played for Crown. He's playing for Uncle Sam in "Pershings Own" now:

11016093_10205774277343571_1842201784596

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 3

Some things allowed into Drum Corps the last few years, I have come around to accepting ( while still acknowledging and respecting the right of some of my friends to sometimes stlll find it not to their personal liking ).

For just one quick example: I have no issue with the intelligent use of a amplified brass solo. When a brass player is playing, and a microphone is used to amplify the sound to the distant stands, I personally can appreciate that, and even enjoy it. There isn't anything artificial, phony or syntheric about it. It is the actual young performer playing his brass instrument here. The amplification is merely turning up the volume in such cases. We all go to theatre productions where even Shakespeare Plays or Opera Aria's have come into modern times and use amplification to bring up the volume and increase the listening pleasure of those in the audience.... we're are merely turning up the volume with a microphone here too. I don't find this particular brand of amplification offensive, nor see how it can be viewed as an affront to traditional Drum Corps either.. not to me anyway. So thats a new innovation that has been tastefully and intelligently utilized by some Corps since this was allowed in a few years imo.

Edited by BRASSO

In my opinion, fixed it for you. You're welcome.

Right back at ya, sport.

• Like 1

Right back at ya, sport.

I don't think opinions are what you think they are...

Military band members must make rank pretty fast.

Yes, the do. But in the case of Pershing's Own you go in as a staff sergeant (E-6). It's one of the Army's special bands, and Nick will only serve there, and will not be eligible to go anywhere else. it's an honor to audition there, let alone serve.

Edited by Kamarag