article on Sahlen Stadium

Don't know about exact attendance figures, but I recall the first ear in Rochester in 2006, the crowd went to the goal lines in the lower level and even spilled around a tiny bit. The scoreboard side was full to just about the end of the bleachers.

Now, it seems you can walk up to the gate and sit around the 20 yard line, which isn't horrible if you wait until the day of finals to purchase.

I'm fairly certain the Rochester 2006 paid attendance was the greatest over the recent string of championships in Rochester. I'm not surprised. In 2006, many late-comers and interested local residents had to pay, maybe $25 per ticket to sit out at the goal line, even beyond. Not the best vantage point to enjoy our show designs, especially if you sit low. Also keep in mind, 2006 was one of the worst drum corps weather weekends of all time!

The ability of your 'theater' to accommodate the audience at good advantage determines your ability to grow attendance. Word of mouth is a valuable tool. I doubt many were properly motivated to return after their 2006 experience.

However, there are ways to generate revenue beyond what can be raised through ticket sales. In addition, the net return to the corps is affected by expenses to operate at the site. Lower expenses . . . more to the corps. In this regard, Rochester is very strong.

Edited by Fred Windish

One Gateway Center in Newark on the 25th floor. The east side of the building looks out and down on the stadium

I will offer a slight correction to your point of there is nothing to eat nearby the stadium. They have opened a bunch of shoppes at the end of their big lawns (or what should be lawns) down on Jackson. There is a 5 Guys and a bunch of other things there. And there is construction well under way of a huge 6 story building down there as well. Looks like the first floor would be retail and the 2-6 would be residential.

That said, there is no real place for warm ups even nearby with all the construction going on. I&E's would have to be inside the stadium. Hotels are very expensive and with school starting that following week, I am not sure what types of rehearsal locations you would be able to come up with, if at all. The schools that have 2 (or more) fields to rehearse on are rather scarce in this area from what I have seen.

Oh, that is right..the new luxury apartment and shoppes near the PATH station...which is also being redone.

There is a great Chinese place on Harrison Ave called Chinatown, but that is hardly a quick walk away. The fabulous Tops diner is a short drive as well.

I can't imagine where there would be warmup areas and close-by rfehearsal facilities, enough for all corps.

Performers will always prefer turf.

Eh... depends on the grass. I certainly prefer the grass of a professional soccer stadium (i.e. PPL Park in Chester) over some cheaper turf fields.

• Like 3

Eh... depends on the grass. I certainly prefer the grass of a professional soccer stadium (i.e. PPL Park in Chester) over some cheaper turf fields.

Should have been on the old Super Dome turf at 1978 AL in New Orleans. Felt like stiff plastic "grass" over top of concrete with very little pad. And the "grass" could give you brush burns (had some corps members try it).

The corps that compete in DCA have to be the ones that drive attendance at Prelims & Finals. The show could be at Rochester, Annapolis, Scranton, etc. It really doesn't matter. Non-drum corps people just aren't going to attend in any large numbers. They don't go to their local high band show if they aren't somehow connected to a band member. Why would they go to this "thing that's kinda like marching band, only with adults" for $40 if they don't know someone that is marching?

Give the corps more direct incentive to bring more fans with them. It seems like a natural fundraiser for a corps to gather support from their Alumni, Friends and Family, etc. Plus they would increase the number of fans cheering for their corps at the biggest show of the season.

With 25-35 corps competing or performing in all the events of the weekend, getting 5000+ people to buy tickets to the shows seems like it should be very doable. I don't know attendance figures, but I would be surprised if they have sold this many tickets in the past few years.

The corps that compete in DCA have to be the ones that drive attendance at Prelims & Finals. The show could be at Rochester, Annapolis, Scranton, etc. It really doesn't matter. Non-drum corps people just aren't going to attend in any large numbers. They don't go to their local high band show if they aren't somehow connected to a band member. Why would they go to this "thing that's kinda like marching band, only with adults" for $40 if they don't know someone that is marching?

Give the corps more direct incentive to bring more fans with them. It seems like a natural fundraiser for a corps to gather support from their Alumni, Friends and Family, etc. Plus they would increase the number of fans cheering for their corps at the biggest show of the season.

With 25-35 corps competing or performing in all the events of the weekend, getting 5000+ people to buy tickets to the shows seems like it should be very doable. I don't know attendance figures, but I would be surprised if they have sold this many tickets in the past few years.

but you need a destination to entice them to want to travel.

You have White Sabers down the road...that's it with Cru, Brigs and Empire gone, plus grennies.

now look 5 or so hours east: Cabs, Fusion, Bush, Hurcs, Bucs, C2, Windsor.........that's the region people should be diving into mining for opportunities

• Like 3

4 pages and no "Submit a Bid" comment? I'm shocked! :wow:

"Submit A Bid":

HEY!!!! If the old (And legendary) Roosevelt Stadium were still around I would.

Talk about a piece of DC History.

Even DCA was there in 1972.

Elphaba

but you need a destination to entice them to want to travel.

You have White Sabers down the road...that's it with Cru, Brigs and Empire gone, plus grennies.

now look 5 or so hours east: Cabs, Fusion, Bush, Hurcs, Bucs, C2, Windsor.........that's the region people should be diving into mining for opportunities

And Sunrisers.

• Like 1