More Original Compositions for DCI

With all the headaches involved in obtaining rights to use music of others, I'm surprised we don't see more original compositions. Do you honestly think the likes of Micheal Klesh, Jay Bocook and some others couldn't write a musical show that's directly for drum corps? What successful original compositions have been written for a corps that did well competively?

Edited by Tobias

See Robert Smith's Suncoast Sound compositions and Richard Saucedo's Cavaliers works. Those are among the best known and received.

• Like 1

We definitely have the talented musicians and arrangers who are gifted to compose some wonderful works.

But the problem lies in the accessibility of these works to the ticket-buying audience in addition to the very credentialed judges and the music nerds (whether marching members, alumni, instructors, and music majors.) The activity has to embrace all of those mentioned in the previous sentence to remain financially viable and growing as an activity. Mom, Dad and the grandparents have to be entertained too in order to give junior permission to either buy the ticket or join the corps. The say so of the music teacher isn't enough in today's world.

While I agree that Mr. Smith and Dr. Saucedo continue to produce wonderful works few have been hummable or whistle-able after the show. Where the MM and drum corps professionals might be excited about 32nd note runs, those paying mortgages, college tuitions, and other bills for these same music nerds must also feel at home with music.

It is doable but not easily.

• Like 2

With all the headaches involved in obtaining rights to use music of others, I'm surprised we don't see more original compositions. Do you honestly think the likes of Micheal Klesh, Jay Bocook and some others couldn't write a musical show that's directly for drum corps? What successful original compositions have been written for a corps that did well competively?

I know this is probably really obvious, and the people mentioned are incredibly talented - but transcribing/arranging is a whole different ball game than composing. Sometimes people specialize in one and not the other.

I can think of a big band gig that I played with a world class (and very well-known) lead trumpet player as a guest performer. He had no problems nailing double Gs and above the whole night, but when approached about doing an improv solo, he practically was terrified.

Again, I'm not commenting on the composing abilities of the above-mentioned people (because that is something that I have no idea about) - just bringing up a point about transcribing/arranging vs. composing.

• Like 1

We definitely have the talented musicians and arrangers who are gifted to compose some wonderful works.

But the problem lies in the accessibility of these works to the ticket-buying audience in addition to the very credentialed judges and the music nerds (whether marching members, alumni, instructors, and music majors.) The activity has to embrace all of those mentioned in the previous sentence to remain financially viable and growing as an activity. Mom, Dad and the grandparents have to be entertained too in order to give junior permission to either buy the ticket or join the corps. The say so of the music teacher isn't enough in today's world.

While I agree that Mr. Smith and Dr. Saucedo continue to produce wonderful works few have been hummable or whistle-able after the show. Where the MM and drum corps professionals might be excited about 32nd note runs, those paying mortgages, college tuitions, and other bills for these same music nerds must also feel at home with music.

I gotta say that the 1985 Florida Suite was beyond hummable. It is still great to listen to today. Not to mention the Requiem from 1984.

• Like 2

I know this is probably really obvious, and the people mentioned are incredibly talented - but transcribing/arranging is a whole different ball game than composing. Sometimes people specialize in one and not the other.

I can think of a big band gig that I played with a world class (and very well-known) lead trumpet player as a guest performer. He had no problems nailing double Gs and above the whole night, but when approached about doing an improv solo, he practically was terrified.

Again, I'm not commenting on the composing abilities of the above-mentioned people (because that is something that I have no idea about) - just bringing up a point about transcribing/arranging vs. composing.

The two composers mentioned have "earned their stripes" in both of the musical competencies you address.

For reference only (not meant to stop this discussion!), here are some earlier threads on the subject of original music in drum corps:

Best original music in DCI? (5/29/06)

A Season of Original Music (7/13/07)

Completely Original Shows? (8/10/11)

Original Music? (6/12/12)

Best Original Music for Drum Corps (11/3/12)

• Like 3

BD did a great job with their original music last year and they look like they're going to continue that this year as well.

• Like 1

For reference only (not meant to stop this discussion!), here are some earlier threads on the subject of original music in drum corps:

Best original music in DCI? (5/29/06)

A Season of Original Music (7/13/07)

Completely Original Shows? (8/10/11)

Original Music? (6/12/12)

Best Original Music for Drum Corps (11/3/12)

Thanks NEB. It's a great resource and I appreciate the time and effort it took to gather it.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

You hit at a great point here, xandandl. Sometimes it seems as if the most ardent drum and bugle corps supporters are, at times, the worst enemies of the activity. They seem to want "great" music....but music of which they can walk out of the stadium humming or whistling. By and large, that isn't going to happen with something completely new to their ears...especially given the additional tonal interference which reaches their ears from any and all resulting programs in that show. It is as if they are saying "We want new...but something new that we can recognize." That's a pretty tall order for the composers/arrangers in the field, as you most succinctly pointed out. Nice job of pointing out the difficulties facing the modern day D&BC composer/arranger.