Lancers at Gettysburg June 12 - concert

If anyone will be in the Gettysburg, PA area middle of June the Gettysburg Heritage Museum will be hosting a concert by the Hanover Lancers Drum & Bugle Corps. The Heritage Museum is the old Civil War Wax Museum and I think was Charlie (Hollywood Squares) Weavers Museum before that. Concert is Friday June 12 at 8PM.

And my bad luck holds as will be returning from a HS commencement in NC a day or so before :notify:

http://www.gettysburgmuseum.com/events.html

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I wish I could swing this. Would love to hear that Lancers' horn line again!!!

Not that the percussionsts are slackers, mind you. LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring

Yeah think that Zarfoss feller knows a thing or two about drumming..... LOL

Doing the "Rochester Plan" for our NC trip. Drive a day and then rest up a day down there before the graduation (Kris niece). Have a way to avoid the DC Beltway but still 700 miles round trip (Rochester about 525). Pack up the drinks, food and CDs for the drive.

Yeah think that Zarfoss feller knows a thing or two about drumming..... LOL

Doing the "Rochester Plan" for our NC trip. Drive a day and then rest up a day down there before the graduation (Kris niece). Have a way to avoid the DC Beltway but still 700 miles round trip (Rochester about 525). Pack up the drinks, food and CDs for the drive.

Are you guys doing the Rte. 301 thing to avoid the Beltway? That's a popular workaround.

Are you guys doing the Rte. 301 thing to avoid the Beltway? That's a popular workaround.

I should look into that one but we're going the other side.

Usual route is US-15 to I-270 to Hell (aka the DC Beltway). Instead I stay on 15 into Northern VA. Lot of twisty turnie in the boonies around the MD/VA border over the Potomac. Then the mess thru Leesburg which gets weirder every time I see it then down to Warrenton/Opal (forget which) where I hit (hopefully not literally) US 17. Actually it's 17/29/another route for a while then just 17 to Fredericksburg. Then at Freddy burg hit lunch as it's about halfway and JUST before you take you life in your hands getting onto I-freaking-95. Found it in the 1990s when I went to Norfolk, VA a lot and it's gotten more and more crowded but it.... still... ain't... the.... beltway..... About an hour longer than the Beltway (unless the Beltway has a problem) but lots of places for a stretch break or bathroom break for guys like me on water pills.

Fun part is trying out the new GPS. Old one would keep telling me to "make a legal" U turn until it finally figured out after an hour or so until it gave up.....

I should look into that one but we're going the other side.

Usual route is US-15 to I-270 to Hell (aka the DC Beltway). Instead I stay on 15 into Northern VA. Lot of twisty turnie in the boonies around the MD/VA border over the Potomac. Then the mess thru Leesburg which gets weirder every time I see it then down to Warrenton/Opal (forget which) where I hit (hopefully not literally) US 17. Actually it's 17/29/another route for a while then just 17 to Fredericksburg. Then at Freddy burg hit lunch as it's about halfway and JUST before you take you life in your hands getting onto I-freaking-95. Found it in the 1990s when I went to Norfolk, VA a lot and it's gotten more and more crowded but it.... still... ain't... the.... beltway..... About an hour longer than the Beltway (unless the Beltway has a problem) but lots of places for a stretch break or bathroom break for guys like me on water pills.

Fun part is trying out the new GPS. Old one would keep telling me to "make a legal" U turn until it finally figured out after an hour or so until it gave up.....

From where you guys are, that's a good one. 301 is farther away, if you're coming from the H'burg area.

As you know... Rte. 15 is very scenic. And like you said... some traffic slowdowns in the Leesburg area... but a nice ride. Certainly compared to the horror show that is the Capital Beltway. I-66 is no prize, either. LOL.

Amazing that places like Manassas, Haymarket, etc. were basically the Deep South not too many years ago... now they're bedroom communities for DC.

Edited by Fran Haring

Amazing that places like Manassas, Haymarket, etc. were basically the Deep South not too many years ago... now they're bedroom communities for DC.

More amazing that the Mason-Dixon line is also becoming more of a bedroom community area for DC along with Baltimore. My understanding is drive to the northern most Metro stop and no idea how long of a ride. Kris had relatives who worked for the FBI in DC and lived in Laurel, MD. IIRC they drove for 45 minutes and then rode bus and/or Metro for another 45. He was computer crime and she PR for the Bureau but man every freaking day?

More amazing that the Mason-Dixon line is also becoming more of a bedroom community area for DC along with Baltimore. My understanding is drive to the northern most Metro stop and no idea how long of a ride. Kris had relatives who worked for the FBI in DC and lived in Laurel, MD. IIRC they drove for 45 minutes and then rode bus and/or Metro for another 45. He was computer crime and she PR for the Bureau but man every freaking day?

I commuted from here in the Baltimore area to Rosslyn in Northern Virginia... right down the road from the Pentagon... for about seven years.

If I drove, it was 60 miles. Each way. LOL. The best I ever did driving the distance, time-wise, was about an hour and 10 minutes one way.

Depending on my schedule, I either drove the entire way.... drove to a Metro stop in the Maryland suburbs... or took a combination of "car to MARC train to Metro" to get there.

It was absolutely nuts. :tongue:

Gezz when I drove down from Eastern Long Island to Florida I used I 95 straight through .Didn't have any traffic till the Carolina 's and that was because of road work .I breezed the LIE to the cross Bronx over George onto the Jersey Pike ,breezed all the way to Balitore first gas stop , But I drove down on a Sunday leaving the Island at 7'am was on the South Carolina State line in time for an early dinner ,LOL

Gezz when I drove down from Eastern Long Island to Florida I used I 95 straight through .Didn't have any traffic till the Carolina 's and that was because of road work .I breezed the LIE to the cross Bronx over George onto the Jersey Pike ,breezed all the way to Balitore first gas stop , But I drove down on a Sunday leaving the Island at 7'am was on the South Carolina State line in time for an early dinner ,LOL

You, sir, are a lucky man. LOL

• Like 1