The "Perfect" Drum Corps show, according to Jim Valvano philos

Reached by what? It was a fun watch, sure, but there's no sustenance.

So let me see if I am reading you correctly: are you saying that the 2nd place show at the 2014 DCI championships was largely devoid of thought-provoking, emotional, or pleasure-inducing value from the viewpoint of the viewers? If that is what you are indeed saying, then I applaud your strength of conviction in openly saying so on a public forum.

However, you may wish to consider that my opening post was written from a standpoint as an individual show attendee...not as a guide for the comprehensive (e.g., total) DCI at-large viewership. That being what it may...I still accept, honor, and applaud your individual viewpoint. We'll just have to agree to disagree on the theory of the matter.

Now, all of that being said..as being merely one individual, I will agree with your personal, individualized assessment. I personally didn't understand the hue and cry over "Hymn of Axciom," and certainly didn't follow the huge reaction to the "pitch bend," outside of the originality and "newness" contained within. Yes, it did lend a very exciting ending to the show...but it's not one that is going to make me go back and cite 20 years from now. But...I am but one person...and if a majority of people found it to be a highly special moment in what they considered to be a highly special show, then it is not for me to consider those individuals as being wrong. We all like what we like...we respect what we respect...and we remember what it is that affected us most. THAT was the whole point of my initial posting...and I'll forever hold to it.

(And despite what some may feel to be the truth...I did NOT just enjoy a pleasant evening repast at the local Waffle House. Especially since the nearest one to me is about 450 miles to my south. :silly: )

Edited by HornTeacher

where's

4. Technical Mastery

shouldn't the perfect drum corps show have some bits of Incredibly Difficult Precision?

it's a given that the activity is incredibly challenging, don't think you can call a show the Perfect Show if there's not at least some point of it that impresses you with sheer difficulty.

(what's the history of 'crowd-support BEST SHOW EVER' narrative? something like this, I think: 2014 bluecoats was preceded by 2008 phantom was preceded by 2006 cavaliers was preceded by 2002 cavaliers. at least as far as my observations taking the temperature of the people goes. people liked shows in between those, liked a lot of shows a great deal, but not all years have a hyped GoaT show that carries fervor. i find myself having contrasting reactions. It's enjoyable to have that kind of excitement around, yet it's always a little dispiriting to see 40 years of solid shows dismissed because of an Immediacy Zeitgeist.)

where's

4. Technical Mastery

shouldn't the perfect drum corps show have some bits of Incredibly Difficult Precision?

it's a given that the activity is incredibly challenging, don't think you can call a show the Perfect Show if there's not at least some point of it that impresses you with sheer difficulty.

(what's the history of 'crowd-support BEST SHOW EVER' narrative? something like this, I think: 2014 bluecoats was preceded by 2008 phantom was preceded by 2006 cavaliers was preceded by 2002 cavaliers. at least as far as my observations taking the temperature of the people goes. people liked shows in between those, liked a lot of shows a great deal, but not all years have a hyped GoaT show that carries fervor. i find myself having contrasting reactions. It's enjoyable to have that kind of excitement around, yet it's always a little dispiriting to see 40 years of solid shows dismissed because of an Immediacy Zeitgeist.)

Technical mastery is a precursor to HornTeacher's 3 points. It's implied that the technical mastery of the corps is what elicits those reactions from individual audience members.

I'm not going to start naming names and picking on corps, but my experience is that a crowd will have those reactions whether the technical is really mastered or not.

people will react to books that are flashy but simple, to moments that are cool-as-all-getout but dirty.

• Like 1

I'm not going to start naming names and picking on corps, but my experience is that a crowd will have those reactions whether the technical is really mastered or not.

people will react to books that are flashy but simple, to moments that are cool-as-all-getout but dirty.

Really? The only corps I can think of that elicits that type of response nowadays with potentially dirty shows are Madison and Cavies (sorry, I'm not exactly afraid of naming names). But even then, the Cavies were quite technically proficient last season. And other corps that do get those type of responses such as Crown, Bluecoats, Cadets, etc ARE very technically proficient. I'm not exactly sure what you're complaining about.

Either way, you're asking for technical mastery. Doing simple concepts extremely well is still technical mastery, whether the difficulty level is very high or not.

No judge should be basing any of his/her scores, even partly, on their emotions. Especially GE judges. And for the most part, they don't. They pretty much stick to the criteria.

GE is not "emotional effect", it has to do with getting the point of the show across, how the visuals and music work together to create a coherent idea. Emotions have nothing to do with it. The emotional moments of the show are for you and I, the audience, to be moved by, not the judges.

You clearly don't understand the General Effect caption, the philosophy behind it, or how the GE sheets work. I suggest you visit this page and review the current workings of the caption.

playing a simple book cleanly is technical proficiency, not technical mastery. and I'm not complaining, one of my favorite shows of all time is incredibly dirty.

but if we are throwing the word *perfect* around, then intricacy needs to come to count. not just aesthetics.

For one, i'm glad that recently drum judges have gone back to rewarding difficult books done well...for a while in the 00's there were some flashy lines that were getting rewarded when they shouldn't have.

i'm just saying that the other requisite of a show to be called that ought to include some moments of incredible technical difficulty done precisely.

a *Perfect* field show needs a 'how did they do that' moment.

playing a simple book cleanly is technical proficiency, not technical mastery. and I'm not complaining, one of my favorite shows of all time is incredibly dirty.

but if we are throwing the word *perfect* around, then intricacy needs to come to count. not just aesthetics.

For one, i'm glad that recently drum judges have gone back to rewarding difficult books done well...for a while in the 00's there were some flashy lines that were getting rewarded when they shouldn't have.

i'm just saying that the other requisite of a show to be called that ought to include some moments of incredible technical difficulty done precisely.

a *Perfect* field show needs a 'how did they do that' moment.

Ah if the bolded line is what your issue is, then you've misunderstood the point of the post. The perfect show can only be individual to a person. The perfect show to one person can be very imperfect to others. It's just that some shows seem perfect to more people than others.

Shortn'sour said that Bluecoats is the perfect drum corps show, but it is the perfect show only to him (unless others agree of course). The point is, the perfect show is something that can move you, make you gasp in awe, and completely immerse you. If extreme technical proficiency is what it takes for a show to do get that type of response out of you, then so be it.

truth, i may have been stretching the intention of the original post. I balked at the subjective perfect and thought we were trying to construct something else.

it's purely semantic, but I think we have a lot of words (personal ideal, favorite, effective) that encompass the intended description.

the word perfect is like those 20pt captions scores; doomed to be conflicted over perpetually, and improved because of the stir.