RADICAL IDEA. Discuss.

And why I'm doing anything except sleeping at 5 AM... I have no idea. :tongue:

We have had DCA in the past in Allentown, while the fair was taking place...I don't recall having a problem getting a room. The problems were the stadium itself (although I understand it's been renovated since the last time DCA had championships there) and the even bigger problem is parking-spectators, but from a previous post it looks like the corps would have a problem too. I don't recall where I & E were held, and mini-corps weren't that big of a deal back then.

Sell more tickets to Prelims, Alumni & Finals. Keep costs for the venue reasonable (or nearly free, as is the case in Rochester). All of the corps involved need to make this a top priority. DCA (the admin) is a small, mostly volunteer organization. They cannot sell 10,000 tickets themselves. 35 Open Class, Class A and Alumni corps (maybe 3000 people involved?) should be able to do this, along with the marketing efforts of DCA itself.

How? Some possible easy examples....

* The member corps that sells the most tickets gets and extra 25% in their take from Finals weekend. Smaller bonuses for 2nd & 3rd, etc.

* Marching members get credit for tickets sold to help pay their dues.

* Do shared advertising, partially paid for by DCA, for all regular season shows. Every show also advertises DCA Championships. All shows should see better attendance. Win win.

* Encourage corps (with $$$) to bring young people to Finals. Younger kids from the family of corps members, bands within a reasonable distance of the Finals site, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, etc. Did someone really say they don't want high school band kids watching Finals? Talk about cutting off any chance for a future!

On a separate note, DCA should be (and I believe they are) working to expand its Fan Network coverage. People like to watch things at home, on their own schedule. Going to a live event is not a top priority to many people, young and old, nowadays. "But my live feed froze on me last year!" OK, that was annoying. So fix it. It can be done, and it has more potential to generate new revenue than anything else.

• Like 2

I recall when DCI was held in Orlando, and there were "special pricing for the band programs" for quarters. IMO, it was nothing more than a huge social event in which the vast majority of them weren't the least bit interested in what was on the field. There was so much noise coming from the "band sections" that at times it nearly drowned out the quieter parts of some shows. I would like to see increased sales too, but just not too confident that this is the right avenue to take. I think the greatest potential for growth lies in the streaming product-but there needs to be an investment in technology (on the stadium AND the production sides) so that a reliable and quality product can be delivered.

DCI held their championships in Orlando in 1996, 1997, 1998 and 2003. I don't know which year at Orlando you are referencing above but whichever it was it was at least over 10 years ago. Product has changed in those 10+ years extensively, both on the drum corps side of things and the marching band side. Basing whether or not to include a subsection of an audience in the present on how some kids (who are now most likely parents themselves) acted that long ago is stupid, it totally makes no sense. Marching band members should be embraced by both DCA and DCI because those marching band students ARE the future of both parts of this activity both as performers and audience members.

• Like 1

Sorry Liz ... I'm with Grumpy here ... even when the Barnum entices local bands to "watch" the show with free tickets, their teen hormones take over and it more resembles a bus ride than a group of future players ... the only bands I've seen respecting what's on the field is those that sit together "in uniform" with their adviser/parent/director sitting there with them ...

:-)

DCI held their championships in Orlando in 1996, 1997, 1998 and 2003. I don't know which year at Orlando you are referencing above but whichever it was it was at least over 10 years ago. Product has changed in those 10+ years extensively, both on the drum corps side of things and the marching band side. Basing whether or not to include a subsection of an audience in the present on how some kids (who are now most likely parents themselves) acted that long ago is stupid, it totally makes no sense. Marching band members should be embraced by both DCA and DCI because those marching band students ARE the future of both parts of this activity both as performers and audience members.

I've been to the Barnum Festival and I have to tell you Andy, I find the kids better behaved than many of the adults in the audience.

• Like 4

Hmmm ... then maybe they should sit in the stands "in uniform" with their parole officers there to supervise them ...

I've been to the Barnum Festival and I have to tell you Andy, I find the kids better behaved than many of the adults in the audience.

you have the prison across the street ~ I'm sure something can be worked out :tounge2:

you have the prison across the street ~ I'm sure something can be worked out :tounge2:

Yes ... the same inmates who provided parking for the overflow crowds in the 60's and 70's ... not to mention the best softball team in the area that routinely crushed the local semi-pro teams ...

Yes ... the same inmates who provided parking for the overflow crowds in the 60's and 70's ... not to mention the best softball team in the area that routinely crushed the local semi-pro teams ...

By "crushed"... I hope you mean "beat them at softball"!!! :tongue: