Fan Network 2015

Pause and not closing the window seems to be the answer for those that can't watch the whole thing live. However, you have to be able to start it. That's the trick.

Great question. Recording a live stream for personal use is perfectly legal. It may be against the DCI Live! terms of service (I honestly haven't looked), but it's not illegal until you distribute the saved files. In theory, anyone could post a How To article in the DCP tech forums and the mods would have no reason to remove it.

I did look at the DCI Live terms of use, and they say:

"You may not copy (other than a copy for personal use, provided you do not remove any trademark, copyright or any other notice contained in the content), modify, distribute, alter, display, reproduce, transfer or republish any of the data of our Web Site and/or Service(s) without obtaining the written permission of the Company."

Therefore, copying the stream for personal DVR purposes is not only legal, but also permitted by the service provider. This is analogous to DVR in the television realm.

Since the DVR functionality is a decision point for many potential DCI customers, it would seem that disseminating information on do-it-yourself stream recording solutions would be a valuable service for those customers, and for DCI.

Yep. The method I tried worked like a charm.

Feel free to share!

• Like 2

I did look at the DCI Live terms of use, and they say:

"You may not copy (other than a copy for personal use, provided you do not remove any trademark, copyright or any other notice contained in the content), modify, distribute, alter, display, reproduce, transfer or republish any of the data of our Web Site and/or Service(s) without obtaining the written permission of the Company."

Therefore, copying the stream for personal DVR purposes is not only legal, but also permitted by the service provider. This is analogous to DVR in the television realm.

Since the DVR functionality is a decision point for many potential DCI customers, it would seem that disseminating information on do-it-yourself stream recording solutions would be a valuable service for those customers, and for DCI.

Feel free to share!

Thanks for doing the research on the TOS. I'll put together something on what worked for me, and likely start a new post just for this...

• Like 3

I'll put together something on what worked for me, and likely start a new post just for this...

I really appreciate that you are doing this. It could help a lot of people. And if it helps them decide to purchase, it helps DCI.

I'm assuming doing it this way if there are glitches in the stream then that is the way it will be captured, as opposed to having a chance for a better result on playback like with the DVR feature we had before?

If so, even more incentive to get things working better on my end.

For what it's worth, I came into work today and I can still stream last night because I never closed the window.

"chrome.exe has stopped"...."noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

This reminds me of when I used to program on my Commodore 64. I'd get like 20 hours into a game I was coding, and then poof, the power went out.

Edited by superOOk
  • Like 1

Interesting thing I heard (hope I heard right) while getting 2 crowns put on at the dentist office.... thought of this thread....

Donald Trump used Neil Youngs "Rocking In The Free World" at his prez kickoff.....

Neil being Canadian and not in line with Trumps views is PO and tells the Donald he's not allowed to use it.

Bottom line is the rights for the song were bought from ASCAP who controls the rights and Neil can just PO (P without 'ed' at the end) as he has no say in the matter.

Bottom line is the rights for the song were bought from ASCAP who controls the rights and Neil can just PO (P without 'ed' at the end) as he has no say in the matter.

No, not so mucht. Neil (and is publishing company) can indeed revoke the rights, even if ASCAP has granted them. ASCAP actually has specific rules that deal with the use of songs in political campaigns...ASCAP requires that "the campaign will need to contact the song's publisher and possibly the artist's record label to negotiate the appropriate licenses with them."

If you really are interested in this, ASCAP has a great article on this subject here: Using Music in Political Campaigns: What You Should Know

Edited by Kamarag

No, not so mucht. Neil (and is publishing company) can indeed revoke the rights, even if ASCAP has granted them. ASCAP actually has specific rules that deal with the use of songs in political campaigns...ASCAP requires that "the campaign will need to contact the song's publisher and possibly the artist's record label to negotiate the appropriate licenses with them."

If you really are interested in this, ASCAP has a great article on this subject here: Using Music in Political Campaigns: What You Should Know

LOL my wife is a NY fan and even drug me to one of his concerts during Gulf War 1. Before the show started a huge yellow ribbon was tied to one of the props. Leave it to the Canadian to remember the troops.

Thanks I read and now understand the follow up statements from both sides better. Trumps side is they did everything legal with ASCAP. NY is saying is not connected with the campaign and against a lot of what the Donald wants. Just lost the webpage with the link contents but sounds like Neil is going for the part that says you cannot use the song if by use it appears the artist is supporting you or part of your campaign.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Thanks I'll read when I get time. Did notice in your quote that the artist is not listed...... hmmm......

LOL my wife is a NY fan and even drug me to one of his concerts during Gulf War 1. Before the show started a huge yellow ribbon was tied to one of the props. Leave it to the Canadian to remember the troops.

That's because the artist may or may not own the rights. In Neil's case, it's his own publishing company.