Fan Network 2015

At some point I read that you would not be able to view replays, and that DVR service (starting from the beginning) would stop working when the broadcast itself ends. I presume this is because legally it becomes a rebroadcast at the moment the original broadcast stops. If true, the show might end at some random point, whenever they go off the air.

Now, whether that actually is the experience you get is another matter. That seems to be the policy. And I can't remember where I read this.

I've been out of town the last week and change, and am still deciding whether or not to subscribe to this service. I've been a FN subscriber forever, and while there have been bumps and kinks in the road, I've felt FN gradually improved; but I'm not 100% sure this service is an improvement. If I'm reading some of these posts right:

1) you can't watch the live-streams from an iOS device? Last year it was VERY easy to watch the live streams on my iPad and then easily watch it on TV via Apple TV. Do we now have to revert back to plugging in cables from my desktop computer to the TV? That's not a huge hassle, but definitely feels like a step-back from previous years (and with a baby/toddler in the house now this is DEFINITELY a bit more perilous to have cables going across the living room)

2) you can't DVR/replay broadcasts?! This is pretty much awful IMO. Living on the west coast, it is not unusual for a large show to start late morning/early afternoon and then for the "main event" finalist corps to come on early evening. Due to having a family and a life outside of watching TV, it had become custom over the years to wait until a bit later and watch the DVR/replay well after the start of the show. Again, with a toddler in the house + no iOS capabilities, this would make a lot more sense since ideally I'd want to avoid cables running across the living room all day/evening while the baby is awake. Also, I had been a lot more tolerant when the stream had issues on DCI's end since it was simple to just go back and utilize the DVR function to watch shows that were messed up during the feed. Without this function, I lose confidence that I'll have minimum problems & be able to navigate through them easily without missing stuff.

3) preview night had audio problems? Were there other glitches with the video? This, compounded with other concerns, doesn't seem to bode well for the service.

This really seems like a step backward, along with other changes this year (no archives for the same price of subscription). Maybe DCI will figure things out sooner than later; while I often tend to think DCP is sometimes a "glass half empty" entity, it's been enough to give me concern. It really does seem really disappointing to me that DCI FN has taken steps backward with this service, but maybe things will be ironed out by this weekend

• Like 1

No archives

No DVR

No replay

No remix if sound is crappy

Live-stream is jittery

Considering what a disaster this is, DCI may be assuming too much when they say:

Thank you for your continued support.

Edited by drangin
  • Like 1

I noticed at the Madison show this Saturday that the announcer repeatedly mentioned the Fan Network. I suspect that DCI provides boilerplate text to be read as announcements at shows. I think the text needs to be updated. :cool: I'm no business genious but directing people to a service that is unavailable, seems suboptimal.

• Like 3

There also seems to be some level of confusion in the communication channels between DCI and its fanbase that is interested in its new format that replaces the FN. The DCI website currently mentions copyright issues frequently in its inability to replay Corps performances, either from show performances from the past, or show performances live, and just completed. Then we go to the theatre to watch the first show of the season, and as we are waiting for the scores, DCI plays the 2014 Blue Devils entire show performance at Finals up on the screen. So the fans try to make sense of it all, and frankly, right now, the explanations don't seem to make much sense at all.

There also seems to be some level of confusion in the communication channels between DCI and its fanbase that is interested in its new format that replaces the FN. The DCI website currently mentions copyright issues frequently in its inability to replay Corps performances, either from show performances from the past, or show performances live, and just completed. Then we go to the theatre to watch the first show of the season, and as we are waiting for the scores, DCI plays the 2014 Blue Devils entire show performance at Finals up on the screen. So the fans try to make sense of it all, and frankly, right now, the explanations don't seem to make much sense at all.

Who knows. As screwy as the different copyright laws are, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if there are 2 different laws that apply: 1 for on demand streaming and a different one for scheduled "1 time" broadcast. The whole thing is completely nuts.

I noticed at the Madison show this Saturday that the announcer repeatedly mentioned the Fan Network. I suspect that DCI provides boilerplate text to be read as announcements at shows. I think the text needs to be updated. :cool: I'm no business genious but directing people to a service that is unavailable, seems suboptimal.

I attended two of the CA shows this weekend with my son and, at both shows, the announcer spoke of DCILive and never mentioned the FN. In fact, at the Rose Bowl, the MASSIVE jumbotron had a screen splash for DCILive scrolling along with sponsors and advertisers.

Madison's mistake was likely their own without DCI's involvement.

I've been out of town the last week and change, and am still deciding whether or not to subscribe to this service. I've been a FN subscriber forever, and while there have been bumps and kinks in the road, I've felt FN gradually improved; but I'm not 100% sure this service is an improvement. If I'm reading some of these posts right:

1) you can't watch the live-streams from an iOS device? Last year it was VERY easy to watch the live streams on my iPad and then easily watch it on TV via Apple TV. Do we now have to revert back to plugging in cables from my desktop computer to the TV? That's not a huge hassle, but definitely feels like a step-back from previous years (and with a baby/toddler in the house now this is DEFINITELY a bit more perilous to have cables going across the living room)

2) you can't DVR/replay broadcasts?! This is pretty much awful IMO. Living on the west coast, it is not unusual for a large show to start late morning/early afternoon and then for the "main event" finalist corps to come on early evening. Due to having a family and a life outside of watching TV, it had become custom over the years to wait until a bit later and watch the DVR/replay well after the start of the show. Again, with a toddler in the house + no iOS capabilities, this would make a lot more sense since ideally I'd want to avoid cables running across the living room all day/evening while the baby is awake. Also, I had been a lot more tolerant when the stream had issues on DCI's end since it was simple to just go back and utilize the DVR function to watch shows that were messed up during the feed. Without this function, I lose confidence that I'll have minimum problems & be able to navigate through them easily without missing stuff.

3) preview night had audio problems? Were there other glitches with the video? This, compounded with other concerns, doesn't seem to bode well for the service.

This really seems like a step backward, along with other changes this year (no archives for the same price of subscription). Maybe DCI will figure things out sooner than later; while I often tend to think DCP is sometimes a "glass half empty" entity, it's been enough to give me concern. It really does seem really disappointing to me that DCI FN has taken steps backward with this service, but maybe things will be ironed out by this weekend

If I were you I would not invest in this joke! I got screwed because I jumped on the highest price package as soon as it came out. There are so many glitches in the stream (audio behind, video freezing up, it jumps from live to the beginning of the broadcast, sound cuts out every now and then). It really sucks im getting more out of Youtube for FREE than i am this $100+ subscription! Dont waste your money fellow fan...

Edited by derek.smith

DCI Live! Works like a charm on iOS devices and via AirPlay.