The Shows You're Most Excited to See in 2015

2015 Show Anticipation  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What shows are you highly anticipating in the 2015 Drum Corps season?

• Blue Devils - Ink
    • Bluecoats - Kinetic Noise
    • The Cadets - The Power of Ten
    • Santa Clara Vanguard - The Spark of Invention
    • Carolina Crown - Inferno
    • The Cavaliers - Game On
    • Phantom Regiment - City of Light
    • Blue Knights - Because
    • Blue Stars - Side Show
    • Boston Crusaders - Conquest
    • Madison Scouts - 78th and Madison
    • Crossmen - Above and Beyond
    • Colts - ...And A Shot Rings Out: A Johnny Staccato Murder Mystery
    • Troopers - Wild Horses
    • The Academy - Unannounced
    • Spirit of Atlanta - Out of the Ashes
    • Oregon Crusaders - The Midnight Garden
    • Pacific Crest - The Catalyst
    • Mandarins - Ressurection
    • Jersey Surf - Sun Surfing
    • Seattle Cascades - Intergalactic
    • Pioneer - Exodus: Divide the Sea, Unite the People

Going back to this poll for a second, I'm a little surprised by some of the results:

- BD having the largest number of votes is I think my biggest surprise. There seems to be a pretty broad sentiment (again, I'm not saying everyone is like this) that BD's new direction is not very entertaining, especially among the older crowd. This sentiment is especially prominent on social media websites where all the teens think Crown and Bloo are the best corps and the Blue Devils "don't do anything hard." It's nice to see that people are actually excited for their shows.

- unsurprisingly, Cadets, Bloo, and Crown have almost as many votes as BD. I don't think Cadets would get nearly as many votes had it not been the fact that this is DCP + Hopkins has been showing us some pretty stellar stuff that's gotten the hype up for the show.

- I would have expected to see a lot more votes for Cavies. They don't usually put out shows that I enjoy because they focus (or used to focus) heavily on the visual side. They had a nice shift last season to a more balanced approach between music and visual and their brass is sounding good so far from the clips I've heard. This theme could be fun too so I think I'm definitely eager to see how this show turns out.

- I like the support BAC got for their 75th. Their source music is really exciting but apart from that, I haven't heard anything from them.

- PR got the least support out of the top 7 corps, and understandably so. Musically, they have been a little lackluster in terms of arrangements. Thematically, they've been stuck in a rut. And their percussion needs some work. Their brass really stuck out last season at finals and they were probably the most improved corps of the top 12 from the beginning to the end of the seasons. I'm optimistic that they can start turning things around and get back to the great shows of the first decade of the 21st century.

So if we were to base the top 12 on our poll, it would look something like this:

1. Blue Devils

2. (tie) Bluecoats and Carolina Crown

4. The Cadets

5. Santa Clara Vanguard

6. Boston Crusaders

7. The Cavaliers

8. Blue Knights

9. Troopers

10. Phantom Regiment

11. Madison Scouts

12. Blue Stars

So if we were to base the top 12 on our poll, it would look something like this:

1. Blue Devils

2. (tie) Bluecoats and Carolina Crown

4. The Cadets

5. Santa Clara Vanguard

6. Boston Crusaders

7. The Cavaliers

8. Blue Knights

9. Troopers

10. Phantom Regiment

11. Madison Scouts

12. Blue Stars

That's not too absurd of a list if you move troopers back a couple spots.

Based on some of the opinions voiced on this site, I am a bit surprised that BD is feeling so much love, but it probably should not be that much of a surprise. The buzz in the stands last summer, which does not always represent the buzz of DCP, was the Blue Devils in 2014 had a sound similar to the past with an innovative show visually, which pleased fans young and young at heart. PR's lower score is not much of a surprise either, but with the right show PR surprises everyone as "Juliet" in 2011 and "Turandot" in 2012 demonstrated. Personally I think this year's show could have similar potential at least in theory, and I like the fact that Facebook photos show the guard manipulating equipment, something that PR lacked in 2013 and 2014. I would have thought Bloo and Crown would have had higher percentages. I also think DCP percentages for Madison are low, but in the stands people will be excited to see Madison. However, if local buzz regarding is to be believed, and I have found it nearly 100% accurate in the past, BAC will be quite a show to see this coming summer.

The buzz in the stands last summer, which does not always represent the buzz of DCP, was the Blue Devils in 2014 had a sound similar to the past with an innovative show visually, which pleased fans young and young at heart.

Last year that was indeed a frequently expressed sentiment on DCP.

Cadets - I'm interested to see how this show ends up from both a final design and placement come finals. At this stage, I don't see the design entirely fitting in with what's typically been rewarded the past few years. It seems to be focused around more on the technical performance of all captions, which is fine by me. I'm down with 'multi-layered' and 'nuanced' show designs, but if there's a corps that's going to take the title by marching, playing and spinning their ##### off, it's going to be this year's Cadets.

Blue Devils - I finally started buying in to them with Cabaret Voltaire. Felliniesque pretty much hooked me as a fan. Ink has me wondering if this design team will ever run out of ideas. There is no doubt they are the corps to beat and they know it. I'm anxious to see the level of excellence they bring to the field in their bid to stay on top.

Crown - They've seemed to bridge the gap between the corps mentioned above and I think that's why they've gotten so successful these past few years. That they're finally going 'dark' makes me happy. Last year was a misstep whose mistakes are surely being corrected. This corps is dangerous when firing on all cylinders.

Last year that was indeed a frequently expressed sentiment on DCP.

True enough, and as someone who thought pretty much until Semis that the show would find its place, I am someone who participated in the DCP buzz. The difference between last year at this time and this year is that last year as show details emerged, some were concerned it was too much of a departure, others thought it would be too difficult to clean. They supported and respected the effort, and there was consensus regarding support, but there were some concerns. I don't sense the same thoughts this year.

Cadets - I'm interested to see how this show ends up from both a final design and placement come finals. At this stage, I don't see the design entirely fitting in with what's typically been rewarded the past few years. It seems to be focused around more on the technical performance of all captions, which is fine by me. I'm down with 'multi-layered' and 'nuanced' show designs, but if there's a corps that's going to take the title by marching, playing and spinning their ##### off, it's going to be this year's Cadets.

Blue Devils - I finally started buying in to them with Cabaret Voltaire. Felliniesque pretty much hooked me as a fan. Ink has me wondering if this design team will ever run out of ideas. There is no doubt they are the corps to beat and they know it. I'm anxious to see the level of excellence they bring to the field in their bid to stay on top.

Crown - They've seemed to bridge the gap between the corps mentioned above and I think that's why they've gotten so successful these past few years. That they're finally going 'dark' makes me happy. Last year was a misstep whose mistakes are surely being corrected. This corps is dangerous when firing on all cylinders.

Cadets- lots of this show is very high levels of demand which it looks at this point will be performed at a very high level come August BUT

the ballad visually is VERY WGI ish as far as visual design and the Waltz section musically is very interesting with the effects they're using so overall I think there is enough to please judges and fans.

Crown- although I only saw a small glimpse on YouTube does a wonderful job presenting a "modern" approach visually due to that glorious guard and as you stated, when firing on all cylinders, will be a contender.

BD- not my cup of tea BUT they are the gold standard of the activity and consistently put out products that judges reward. I enjoyed their show last year but they lost me after 2007 for the most part (more my issue than their design).

Edited by Tobias