"Best 7th Place Ever!"

I was watching the 2014 Bushwacker show recently and read an attached comment:

"THE BEST 7TH PLACE SHOW EVER!!!",

which made me think.

I don't think it's an out of hand crazy statement, though I'd say that the 2012 Kidsgrove Scouts deserve consideration, particularly if you'd allow them to amp their front ensemble like they were allowed to in DCE and would be allowed to now in DCA. A competition between those two would be interesting, and close, very close, I think.

The other issue at hand is the impossibility of comparing different eras- the way shows were judged/ticks, Piston-rotor bugles, marching tymps, I can go on here.

That being said, I thought of 2 other very good corps from the past that I;d think deserve some mention-

How about the 1977 Les Ambassadeurs, who took High Guard, or the 1978 Bucs, who came from 8th to swap with Les Ambassadeurs, and had some top 5 captions, the percussion numbers holding the corps down, but had a pretty good horn book?

I figure there might be some others who might deserve a mention that came before my time- or in some of the times I've been out of the loop. Just for fun conversation here. :satisfied:

I was also lately watching last year's Bushwackers show. Charlie Chaplin's speech annoyed me less than it did previously.

No offense to Bush... but for me, it's Kidsgrove 2012, hands down. They could have finished two or three places higher and no one in the audience would have complained, IMO.

And my sleeper pick is the 1990 Buccaneers, with the "Batman" movie music. Great show from them. Small horn line...something like 28, 30 or so... but they were absolutely lights-out good.

Edited by Fran Haring

No offense to Bush... but for me, it's Kidsgrove 2012, hands down. They could have finished two or three places higher and no one in the audience would have complained, IMO.

My wife and I were completely dumbfounded when they announced Kidsgrove's score at prelims. They were easily the 5th place corps that night, and it's still completely mystifying as to what the heck the panel was actually looking at and listening to. Worse, the score correction that should have come at finals certainly didn't.

• Like 1

Ditto on Kidsgrove 2012, thought they were at least one place higher, maybe 2 as well. Best crowd reaction of the weekend perhaps (which usually means a lock for a lower placement :cool: )

• Like 4

My wife and I were completely dumbfounded when they announced Kidsgrove's score at prelims. They were easily the 5th place corps that night, and it's still completely mystifying as to what the heck the panel was actually looking at and listening to. Worse, the score correction that should have come at finals certainly didn't.

I was floored at the score being that low.

• Like 1

How about the 1977 Les Ambassadeurs, who took High Guard, or the 1978 Bucs, who came from 8th to swap with Les Ambassadeurs, and had some top 5 captions, the percussion numbers holding the corps down, but had a pretty good horn book?

I figure there might be some others who might deserve a mention that came before my time- or in some of the times I've been out of the loop. Just for fun conversation here. :satisfied:

78 Bucs was a definate preview of what was to come. March of the Tumblers was so clean. I often wondered why the Corp didn't bring it back. 79 and 80 I still consider in the top 5 best ever. I know I know I'm prejudiced but that's my opinion.

George :mellow:

Tony Yaklich's charts were rock solid, "Another Star" was a really great moment for the corps,a great chart- quite a few of the younger crowd would have a thrombo if they realized the Bucs played an Earth, Wind, and Fire tune.

I mentioned on another thread what a uniform change could mean to a corps, and those long, blue coats were striking, and were also a big part of the Bucs' 1979 mystique. They were a huge improvement over the previous gear.

Tony Yaklich's charts were rock solid, "Another Star" was a really great moment for the corps,a great chart- quite a few of the younger crowd would have a thrombo if they realized the Bucs played an Earth, Wind, and Fire tune.

I mentioned on another thread what a uniform change could mean to a corps, and those long, blue coats were striking, and were also a big part of the Bucs' 1979 mystique. They were a huge improvement over the previous gear.

Man... the 1979 Bucs really took it to us that summer.

My opinion only... in '79, we (Sunrisers) tried to force the music we played that year into the 1977 and '78 show formulas... especially 1978. Heck, why not try it again, considering that formula had helped us win two DCA titles, and dominate the circuit in '78. (17 shows in 1978, including prelims and finals... 14 wins and three losses, two of them by a few tenths or less. Not too shabby. LOL)

But as a result, even though we still had a really good corps in '79, and a fantastic percussion section in particular, we were, again IMO, a bit "stale" compared to the Buccaneers... with those new uniforms, sweeping visual program, and GREAT horn line and book.