"Best 7th Place Ever!"

Best ever? Who knows? However, I would like to throw 89 Steel City into the conversation. STEEL!!!

We tied for 7th with Rochester that season, leading to the first (and only?) combined trooping of the stands in DCA history.

Still one of my favorite years that I ever marched, this corps was talented and the show was a blast to play. "Scream Machine", "Malaga" & "Blue Bossa" were all rock solid and the fans loved them. The closer, "Conga", never quite came together as we hoped that it might. Strong horn line, drum line and (spandex!) guard. 1989 Steel City had the whole package.

Check this show out, if you get a chance.

Best ever? Who knows? However, I would like to throw 89 Steel City into the conversation. STEEL!!!

We tied for 7th with Rochester that season, leading to the first (and only?) combined trooping of the stands in DCA history.

Still one of my favorite years that I ever marched, this corps was talented and the show was a blast to play. "Scream Machine", "Malaga" & "Blue Bossa" were all rock solid and the fans loved them. The closer, "Conga", never quite came together as we hoped that it might. Strong horn line, drum line and (spandex!) guard. 1989 Steel City had the whole package.

what a year.....DCA West beat each other all year long! Cru, Empire, Steel, Westshore all beating each other over the course of the year.

I remember standing on the field and seeing the 2 corps turn and face each other...half of us expected a fight! What ensued was a blast to watch

Wow. I see the two seventh-place corps that year scored five points above the ninth-place corps (MBI) and ten points above the tenth-place corps (Bucs). That's quite the spread.

I'd love to see video of the combined trooping. I'll assume it was better organized than the great Buswackers-Buccaneers charlie-foxtrot of 2005?

I'd love to see video of the combined trooping. I'll assume it was better organized than the great Buswackers-Buccaneers charlie-foxtrot of 2005?

I remember the combined Steel-Cru thing from 1989... a lot of fun. The crowd loved it.

I seem to recall the corps' horn lines playing tuning/warmup sequences as they left the field. LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

I remember the combined Steel-Cru thing from 1989... a lot of fun. The crowd loved it.

I seem to recall the corps' horn lines playing tuning/warmup sequences as they left the field. LOL.

Man, I'd kill to see a video. I absolutely love stuff like that, and wish more corps would do things together...

Thanks for sharing that, Mick. The years 1985 to 1990 are one of those holes in my experiences. Looked into returning to Westshore in 1988 and 1991, it didn't pan out, and in the 1991 case, I was better for it. Saw a lot from 1991 to 1995, then kind of had a bit of a gap there as well. nearly getting into a fight at Hershey with turds that got in my face for "blooing" the Coats after a very good run on their part disgusted me to the point I had to get talked back to a Hershey show a few years later and had them sit on both sides of me as bodyguards. Madison rocked that night, I was in row 6, I got a very good peel.

Anyhow, that kind of post was one of the ones I was looking forward to reading- the ones where I'm not familiar- which would be pre-1976-1977, 1985-1990, late 90's till about 2004-5...