New New Drums Thread?

You know I'm a Madison guy but the drums do nothing for them. Last year's drum finish would have suited the new uniforms better. I wonder if the drums are new or if they are using those cheap looking "slips' BD, Crossmen, and Boston are using?

Edited by SFZFAN

You know I'm a Madison guy but the drums do nothing for them. Last year's drum finish would have suited the new uniforms better. I wonder if the drums are new or if they are using those cheap looking "slips' BD, Crossmen, and Boston are using?

I think you may have been 'gotten' ... are you referring to the pic in the previous post (from the 90s)?

Edited by hughesmr

I think you may have been 'gotten' ... are you referring to the pic in the previous post (from the 90s)?

No I'm talking about the grey drums the Scouts are using tonight. They sound great but visually they are boring.

Oh, OK ... at least we got mylar on snares! :cool:

They have Remo Blackmax (Kevlar) on the batter top head. And I agree, those flat gray drums don't match the show theme. They should be all chrome or something. However, the line sounds great!

Sorry for my ignorance but what are "slips"? If that is a reference to used drums, I believe Boston has all new drums this year (as well as all new brass).

Sorry for my ignorance but what are "slips"? If that is a reference to used drums, I believe Boston has all new drums this year (as well as all new brass).

https://www.on2percussion.com/

Slips are printed vinyl covers that wrap around the wooden drum shells (and on bass drums, the wooden rims as well). Bluecoats last year used them on their battery. Blue Devils are using them this year. The advantage is they're removable (and thus you don't have to sell/buy new drums each year) and they can be printed with some faaaaar out stuff. Check out that On2 link above - they've got some crazy-looking samples. One day I'm going to get the circuit board one for my drum.

Mike