2015 SKYLINERS MAY 30-31 WEEKEND

Did I miss something or do the Skyliners have NEW uniforms?

yes they do - I think they look fantastic!

• Like 3

Yes, they look the goods, good style and cut to them, they can do a lot to enhance their visual package with them.

Au contraire!

The black backs compared to the red fronts ( same shades of the old Boston Crusaders' uniforms, the ones they dropped decades ago) means that the whole ensemble has to face the same way at the same time. Mixing who faces forward or back, who turns from the hip this way or that, who is playing to the heavens while the other bends down, all look like a mess unless very specifically programmed with added attention in drill hours which are not available to the DCA participants on a weekday basis. The result is a non-uniform look. DCI corps on the main dropped this silliness years ago. Every once in awhile somebody brings it back as "radically new" or "cool" but the modern visual scores SUFFER. Very soon it is changed. Check the re-caps.

Refer to the Cavaliers as an example post-Gaines. Judges don't judge on what is cool unless the Skyliners are returning to their "traffic jam" routines of the days of Dreitzer and Perriloux.

We'll check the visual scores in September to see if your statement is the exception.

Edited by xandandl

Judges don't judge on what is cool unless the Skyliners are returning to their "traffic jam" routines of the days of Dreitzer and Perriloux.

Actually, it was Dreitzer and Myers during the Traffic Jam years ... and it's spelled Perrilloux ... double R ... double L ... just like the Long Roll ...

:-)

• Like 1

There are opportunities with the uni if they take everything into account.

As for the Cavies.... Hmm, where do I start. Bringing them up is like flint on tinder to me.

The main problem with that "10 Minutes of Fame" show was this: The Cavies' brand relied heavily on their specific visual and aesthetic design. They could plug nearly any theme or story or music into their programs, but what got the crowd was their readily identifiable and unique visual Aesthetic. They looked just like everyone else in DCI instead of the Cavaliers in that program. They went against what made them who they were. Gaines took the foundation Brubaker laid out and went even further with it, developed the brand. The new visual design team ended up losing that individual, special aesthetic. As I have said before on DCP, incensing a few of the more touchy DCI fans, especially the ones who don't believe any criticism is deserved ever, was that the kids who signed up with the Cavies that season didn't sign up to perform that kind of a show. The Corps membership took a weak program and made it a lot better than it actually was. A LOT better. And those Guard uniforms.... if a High School competitor at any level would have shown up dressed like that, the panel would have crawled all over them about how poor and unattractive and unflattering those cheap outfits were for those guard members. My guess is because it was the Cavies, no one said anything out of fear of rocking the boat. Okay, that rant was brought to you by the letter C for Cavies and B and G for Bad Gawd-Awful Guard costuming. Oh, and the number 7 for the 7th place they managed to get because the kids played the bejeezus out of a bad show. :satisfied:

Let's wait and see with Sky. Sometimes, being a bit different isn't a bad thing. One needs to differentiate their brand versus their competitors. Especially in DCA. Especially with a name like the Skyliners. I know from experience a uniform change, even if there are some visual issues, is great for corps morale and pride. Jim can vouch for that in '79 when we got rid of those "Blue Slime" outfits. It really helped make us feel like a real competitor, not a bunch of schmucks and losers on the field.

Judges don't judge on what is cool unless the Skyliners are returning to their "traffic jam" routines of the days of Dreitzer and Perriloux.

Actually, it was Dreitzer and Myers during the Traffic Jam years ... and it's spelled Perrilloux ... double R ... double L ... just like the Long Roll ...

Wasn't the traffic jam drill a Bobby Hoffman creation?

Wasn't the traffic jam drill a Bobby Hoffman creation?

It certainly was ... introduced in his second year with Sky ... 1972 ... very creative mind ... and believe it ot not, Hy charted out the original brass jam, complete with sirens, contras sounding like trailer trucks and mellos keeping a timed note pattern that the rest of us keyed on to know where we were in the jam ... give it a listen sometime ... it's not the "free for all" most think it was ...

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 1

There are opportunities with the uni if they take everything into account.

As for the Cavies.... Hmm, where do I start. Bringing them up is like flint on tinder to me.

The main problem with that "10 Minutes of Fame" show was this: The Cavies' brand relied heavily on their specific visual and aesthetic design. They could plug nearly any theme or story or music into their programs, but what got the crowd was their readily identifiable and unique visual Aesthetic. They looked just like everyone else in DCI instead of the Cavaliers in that program. They went against what made them who they were.

On the money, W.

That was the first year in a long, long time that the Cavies' drill struck me as...well... ordinary.

There were times during the Brubaker/Gaines years when the Cavaliers' drill was so cool, so unique, I could turn the sound down on the video and still be entertained by their show.