Introducing People to DCI (World Class, specifically)

I started a thread like this on DCP about 2 years ago called, "Best YouTube Clips for the Unenlightened." If you search that title, you'll find it,

For a newbie, I typically begin with either Scouts rendition of "Empire State of Mind" or PR's "Nessun Dorma" (2012 version) because these are incredibly dramatic and recognizable. Check out the other clips which I and others suggested in that thread.

I like the ones you've compiled, also.

Please educate me to what the last line "Drum corps is metal............" means.

Haha it just meant that a lot of people don't realize how difficult drum corps is, and you gotta spread the gospel. Sorry, tumblr etiquette and DCP etiquette is very different

I started a thread like this on DCP about 2 years ago called, "Best YouTube Clips for the Unenlightened." If you search that title, you'll find it,

Link.

And I switched up the order a bit. I put Carolina Crown 2012 and Crossmen 2012 before Creep, with the Blue Knights "Can't Take my Eyes off of You" before the Best of 2014 video.

Haha it just meant that a lot of people don't realize how difficult drum corps is, and you gotta spread the gospel. Sorry, tumblr etiquette and DCP etiquette is very different

The most vile and villainous posters on DCP are virgins angels in a field of lollipops and puppy dogs compared to the average Tumbrista.

• Like 2

And I switched up the order a bit. I put Carolina Crown 2012 and Crossmen 2012 before Creep, with the Blue Knights "Can't Take my Eyes off of You" before the Best of 2014 video.

I freakin loved that encore in Denver last year, was an absolute blast live.

• Like 1

Sooooo much depends on your audience...I showed all (yes, all) of Cavies 2002 to a high school class once. (This was back in spring of 2007, so it wasn't THAT ancient ;) They loved it. But mind you, this was:

- A math class

- Studying geometric translations

- At an art magnet school

I'm not sure there's any other particular group I'd show the whole of that to as a very first look at Drum Corps, but for them, it worked.

So much depends - Wow! After I typed those words troon8's post appeared starting the same way - weird. Anyway...

So much depends on the - ahem - audience. For many people I know, I would start out with SCV 2009 "Ballet For Martha". It contains some of everything good that is drum corps, although it isn't an extreme example of any one thing. It's just really good.

For others I might actually do BD 2010. Don't be afraid of going weird. Remember their preconceived notions about what a drum and bugle corps is. Part of what you have to do is dispel those assumptions. BD 2010 ought to do it.

But again, it depends on the audience.

• Like 1

A fictional novel about drum corps - "Stumbling on the Downbeat". It's being released on June 15, and aimed at high school aged readers, but for those uninitiated it might be a starting point. And an entertaining read for those already into the magic :)

http://www.amazon.com/Stumbling-Downbeat-John-Harten-ebook/dp/B00Y99N7EE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433197298&sr=8-1&keywords=stumbling+on+the+downbeat