New DCI.org website

I'm no tech guru, but I don't get this complaint at all. First, why not just go to the site then? Maybe this is actually a ploy to get you to go to the site instead of Google? Again, I'm no wizard of tech so this might truly be "url-mapping"-stupidity.

But second, don't we hear on a daily basis that "what you put on the web stays out there forever"? I think the articles you want are out there still and will show up again when the transition is complete.

Maybe I'm giving them a bigger benefit of the doubt than is warranted, though.

If this was correctly done then no links would be broken....no ploy here...sorry but this is just poor web development...there is a consortium on web best practices to follow...Ok I'm off my soapbox on this...

If this was correctly done then no links would be broken....no ploy here...sorry but this is just poor web development...there is a consortium on web best practices to follow...Ok I'm off my soapbox on this...

Is there room on your soapbox for me? The new web site has archive news back to 01/01/2015. In the past, I'd often go to old news articles on the old DCI web site to re-read many excellent articles. Also, the 2007 article I submitted to DCI is gone (however, I kept a hardcopy in a scrapbook for my family). I'll try to 'let it go' (big sigh)

I'm no tech guru, but I don't get this complaint at all. First, why not just go to the site then? Maybe this is actually a ploy to get you to go to the site instead of Google? Again, I'm no wizard of tech so this might truly be "url-mapping"-stupidity.

But second, don't we hear on a daily basis that "what you put on the web stays out there forever"? I think the articles you want are out there still and will show up again when the transition is complete.

Because Google can get to what you want faster. Assuming they map the urls properly which they haven't.

The average person uses Google for everything, and if the link presented by google doesn't work, they're not going to go through any effort to figure out where the content is they were trying to get to. This is bad for DCI as it means people clicking on DCI content aren't getting to it. Less eyes on their pages is bad. The perception that DCI's website doesn't work is bad. Invalidating all the search engine weight that has developed on DCI.org's existing links is bad. (The 'new' links are probably showing up in Google search results, but not on the first page. If it's not on the first page, it might as well not exist)

Say someone has a particular article bookmarked. Well, now that bookmark is broken. Bad user experience all around.

On the web, friction is your worst enemy. You want your content to be as easy to get to as possible. The more speed bumps people hit trying to get to your content, the more people give up and do something else.

Also, there shouldn't be a transition period. You develop the new site, test it, then flip the switch and redirect traffic. If your new site doesn't have these kinds of details squared away, then you shouldn't be flipping the switch.

• Like 3

Is there room on your soapbox for me? The new web site has archive news back to 01/01/2015. In the past, I'd often go to old news articles on the old DCI web site to re-read many excellent articles. Also, the 2007 article I submitted to DCI is gone (however, I kept a hardcopy in a scrapbook for my family). I'll try to 'let it go' (big sigh)

While I agree that the lag in updating DCI's new site with old material is unfortunate, they now do have their news articles going back to Jan. 2001. To find those, select from the "Season" drop box at upper right on the news page. So your 2007 contribution has probably been restored.

Even had they not fixed this--and I'm not saying this would be a proper solution--much DCI content is available via the Internet Archive. That site doesn't save everything, of course, but it has preserved a fair bit of DCI's history.

DCI website is horrible. Poor design, not mobile friendly... who the heck designed it? Fan Network has gone backward (extinct), presentation of the flagship website representing the activity is a disappointment. DCI had months to prepare for a new launch and this is the best that they could do? Those of you who always long for the "good 'ole days" of drum corps should be happy! We're not quite back to the stone ages, but awfully darn close! I'm going to dig out my old cassette tapes and DCI World Newspapers - gee whiz, I'm so excited!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 2

All:

Before you start teeing off "URL Mapping" let me explain to you how SEO actually works. Google & Bing will reindex the site. The more you visit it, the faster it will happen. Once that happens... the "old" links will start to naturally disappear and the new correct links will appear. DCI doesn't have much to say about this... and when switching platforms like this it would cost both a fortune both in TIME and $$$$ to hand map every URL to a new one on the site.

So... please everyone... don't get your collective #dcppanties in a bunch on this. The new site is cleaner... and a lot easier to navigate. It has a great new social bar that follows you on the right... and I even got a "DCI CHAT SUPPORT" window tonight when I started the stream... which looks crisp and clear over wifi tonight. Great Job #SQUADDCI. Nice to see corps on the field... nice to see things moving forward. Oh... and BTW it seems to be responsive design... rendering on my tablet and mobile very well.

Edited by elephanttalk
  • Like 5

While I agree that the lag in updating DCI's new site with old material is unfortunate, they now do have their news articles going back to Jan. 2001. To find those, select from the "Season" drop box at upper right on the news page. So your 2007 contribution has probably been restored.

I'm not complaining. I'm ok. I have my hardcopy and memories. I just want to help others find the articles they had submitted. The "Season" drop down is new and thank you. As of June 6 2015, the 2007-2008 search box has 500 entries and no 'fuzzy seach' or 'booleon search' capabilities. Are we trying to fit web sites onto a cell phone? Oh my. The library has tomes of books...

All:

Before you start teeing off "URL Mapping" let me explain to you how SEO actually works. Google & Bing will reindex the site. The more you visit it, the faster it will happen. Once that happens... the "old" links will start to naturally disappear and the new correct links will appear. DCI doesn't have much to say about this... and when switching platforms like this it would cost both a fortune both in TIME and $$$$ to hand map every URL to a new one on the site.

So... please everyone... don't get your collective #dcppanties in a bunch on this. The new site is cleaner... and a lot easier to navigate. It has a great new social bar that follows you on the right... and I even got a "DCI CHAT SUPPORT" window tonight when I started the stream... which looks crisp and clear over wifi tonight. Great Job #SQUADDCI. Nice to see corps on the field... nice to see things moving forward. Oh... and BTW it seems to be responsive design... rendering on my tablet and mobile very well.

Still a huge mistake to remap the URL's, it seems completely pointless. The new website is absolutely horrible, the last website was very easy to use. Here's to hoping that they switch back.

• Like 1