Indy "opening" contest

interesting to look back

I think a lot of us were surprised Crown didn't win the premier, especially after all the pre season hype and getting to see their terrific preview

So more of an "upset" last year than possible this year as none of these Indy corps won the Championship prior year. Akin to if BD were there tonight and someone upset them. Well, close - as BD is BD..

I agree, it's a "who knows" situation. Whatever corps wins tonight sets a precedent, but after that it's a long season.

• Like 1

Years ago I could do this but "GE" is so unpredictable now. Honestly I know Cadets are super solid but a GE judge could hate math and dump them.

Crown is super dark and they may loss fans and again, will the judges embrace another Devils Staircase like show.

Bluecoats are always solid caption wise. Will it be a letdown after Tilt? GE is what pushed them at the end. Will it be there this year?

We'll get a small glimpse from this early read tonight.

• Like 1

I have never been to a drum corp show in the theater. My Wife & I both absolutly hate the whole theater experience,,,but we are considering going tonight.

I resisted the cinemas for several years too, but I got hooked instantly about 3 years ago.

SIT CLOSE and you will really enjoy it. DO NOT sit in your usual movie seats. When you sit up close, it's like being at a Drum Corps IMAX experience. And unlike many films, the camera work is very very steady, so you will not get a headache from rapid cuts. SIT NEAR THE FRONT !

Edited by DeanInChicago

Honestly I know Cadets are super solid, but a GE judge could hate math and dump them.

Comments from a retired classical music critic who explains his dislike of anything pre-Romantic, including Bach, Handel, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, and "that ghastly Vivaldi", as deriving partly from their being too "mathematical".

Just for fun:

72.8 Bluecoats - GE, Perc, Music
72.1 Cadets - 2nd in most captions

71.4 Crown - Brass, Guard,

69.6 Cavaliers

67.2 Blue Stars

66.7 Scouts

I suspect that the top 3 will end up with a bigger spread than this prediction but I'm not ready to predict more than 2 points between 1 and 3 until I get a real quality read on these shows. I'll venture that the visual scores will be tight with Cadets having top proficiency, Bluecoats with top visual analysis and Crown being 2nd in both. Without having seen much of anything from these groups (aside from some lo-fi, low perspective rehearsal clips, I'm really just wild guessing more than predicting anything.

Do they announce scores tonight... I seem to recall that in years past the scores weren't made public until a few days later...

Wasn't that because the theatre broadcast of the contest and the actual contest weren't on the same day?

I'm sure Wes would say they are in a class by themselves.

Nah I'm sure Cavies and Phantom are in their class too;) hehehe! Hey but just wait til you.... Ok. Ok I won't talk about the Denver team tonight:) best of luck Madison, Cavies, Crown, Bluecoats, Cadets and Blue Stars... Have a great opening night. Feeling under the weather so no drum corps for me tonight, keep me filled in peeps!