2015 Uniforms (All Threads Now Merged HERE)

Yea, that's a tad extreme. Is the Crossmen's uniform choice shocking? Absolutely. Does it look goofy by itself? Maybe. Will it look good n the field, in the show? We don't really know yet, and I think it could easily go either way. I don't think it looks bad...but it's not at all what we're used to seeing, especially after the home run that was the uniform last year.

The uniforms last year were designed for the "gypsy" theme of the show. The uniform this year is designed for "Above and Beyond". The uniform next year will be re-jiggered to match next year's theme.

I saw a run through of the 2015 show last week when they weren't wearing uniforms. Based on what I've saw, these uniforms should be a visual enhancement of that theme. All aesthetics aside, that's the crux of it: Will they help the visual score or hurt it?

The Crossmen are not the first corps to change their uniform to match the theme of their show.

The drumcorps community, especially the "experts" that post here and (RAMD in the past), are overall not very accepting of new ideas. B-flat, props, electronics, narration, t-bones, french horns, sousaphones, woodwinds, WGI influence. Eventually they will get over this change and pine for these uniforms once they're gone. Kinda like they did with Star of Indiana.

It's not against new ideas, it's against poor execution. If I presented this design at work, I'd be freakin' fired. A good designer knows when to stop, and well, there was no stopping this designer.

You can aid the theme of the show without going overboard on the uniform. Plain and simple, this is bad and amateur design. I'm not going to go into all the ins and outs of why, but if you showed this to any designer worth their salt, they would not give you a very positive opinion of things.

I swear to God, this new crop of DCI costume design is so bad, I'm tempted to start a new company. I'm only half kidding.

Edited by atlvalet
  • Like 1

It's not against new ideas, it's against poor execution. If I presented this design at work, I'd be freakin' fired. A good designer knows when to stop, and well, there was no stopping this designer.

You can aid the theme of the show without going overboard on the uniform. Plain and simple, this is bad and amateur design. I'm not going to go into all the ins and outs of why, but if you showed this to any designer worth their salt, they would not give you a very positive opinion of things.

I swear to God, this new crop of DCI costume design is so bad, I'm tempted to start a new company. I'm only half kidding.

What is "good" design. What is "bad" design? You're trying to attach labels to such subjective things.

I swear to God, this DCP comment is so vague, I'm tempted to start crying. I'm only half kidding.

Plain and simple, this is bad and amateur design. I'm not going to go into all the ins and outs of why ...

Could you? I'm genuinely curious.

I'm no elite costume/general design mind, but I'm in "wait until showtime" mode. If it helps the show, great. If not, it doesn't necessarily means the unis will hurt it.

If I was running a corps, I'd leave the show-centric costume designs toward the colorguard/drum major, but that's just me.

Was 83 their Hostess Cupcake look, if so I agree, it cost them finals

And I get it, Fly = clouds

And maybe one design choice I disagree with is not indicative of the direction of this year’s show...or maybe

I wouldn't wear it to the beach

Huh, That's a bit much I think. The uniforms are an unfortunate choice but I doubt it will have anything to do with their placement. Look At BD - their recent uniforms have all been hideous - and don't get me started on Crown's ridiculousness.

Then why bother with fancy uniforms at all? Black shorts, t-shirt in some color & a baseball cap is all you need. Heck, get several sets for everyone & that is all the clothes you need all summer (except for underbritches). Perform, practice, eat, sleep - no need to change clothes. Would save lots of time that can be devoted to practice. Laundry days are easy - all the small shirts in this pile, med in this one, large over here & so forth. When done just pass them out by size.