Best Show of Each Era?

This is meant to be a fun topic so hopefully no fights break out over one's subjective assessment of a show.

I wasn't sure how to define each era (if anyone has suggestions, I'll edit this post to reflect them) so I'm just going with the 70's, 80's, 90's and 2000-2006 (completely arbitrary date) , and 2007-2014

So, what show do you consider to be the best from each era? (Again please feel free to suggest a way to split the eras up in a much less random way)

Edited by Cappybara

This is meant to be a fun topic so hopefully no fights break out over one's subjective assessment of a show.

I wasn't sure how to define each era (if anyone has suggestions, I'll edit this post to reflect them) so I'm just going with the 80's, 90's and 2000-2006 (completely arbitrary date) , and 2007-2014

So, what show do you consider to be the best

from each era? (Again please feel free to suggest a way to split the eras up in a much less random way)

I think you and I both know why you chose 2000-2006 as an era.
  • Like 1

80s - Cadets 1984 (West Side Story) & runner up Cadets 1987 (App Spring)

90s - Star 1993 & runner up BD 94 (My Spanish Heart) - 2nd runner up Cavaliers 95 (Planets)

00-07 - Cavaliers (Frameworks) 02, 2nd runner up Cavaliers Four Corners 01

07-now - BD 14 (Felliniesque) followed by Crown 09 (Grass is Always Greener)

• Like 1

Possible dividing points in any chronology might be 1971 ("the year drum corps died"), 1980 (that's when the pit was grounded, right?), 1984 (when the tick system was dropped), 2004 (when amplification was permitted), and 2009 (when synthesizers were added). Thinking about the first History of Drum and Bugle Corps book, Rosalie Sward's long discussion of DCI history makes a big deal out of 1993 as a high point of controversy, and not just for Star's show: the moment when, in some viewers' opinions, drum corps deliberately abandoned mass audience appeal in the quest for artistic relevance.

I wasn't sure how to define each era (if anyone has suggestions, I'll edit this post to reflect them) so I'm just going with the 80's, 90's and 2000-2006 (completely arbitrary date) , and 2007-2014

So, what show do you consider to be the best from each era? (Again please feel free to suggest a way to split the eras up in a much less random way)

The " best " show, or the " most enjoyable " show ? I'd have different Corps, Years, depending on this. And to leave out the 70's years decade of DCI shows is an insult to that decades Corps, so I'm opting out from participation, frankly. But good luck anyway with your assessment minus a decade worth of Corps not even to be considered in this selective poll.

The " best " show, or the " most enjoyable " show ? I'd have different Corps, Years, depending on this. And to leave out the 70's years decade of DCI shows is an insult to that decades Corps, so I'm opting out from participation, frankly. But good luck anyway with your assessment minus a decade worth of Corps not even to be considered in this selective poll.

The best. I apologize for not adding in that era. Like I said, feel free to give suggestions. I'll edit my OP to reflect.

• Like 1

Possible dividing points in any chronology might be 1971 ("the year drum corps died"), 1980 (that's when the pit was grounded, right?), 1984 (when the tick system was dropped), 2004 (when amplification was permitted), and 2009 (when synthesizers were added). Thinking about the first History of Drum and Bugle Corps book, Rosalie Sward's long discussion of DCI history makes a big deal out of 1993 as a high point of controversy, and not just for Star's show: the moment when, in some viewers' opinions, drum corps deliberately abandoned mass audience appeal in the quest for artistic relevance.

Hmm I was thinking of doing something like that, but realized that would make each era very uneven in terms of number of years.

The best. I apologize for not adding in that era. Like I said, feel free to give suggestions. I'll edit my OP to reflect.

70's..... '76 Blue Devils

80's.....' 84 Cadets

90's......'99 SCV

2000's ...'02 Cavaliers

Edited by BRASSO