2016 Prediction Thread

Yes - V Tech was a source for Cadets / Crossmen and later with the YEA!/Boston relationship for Boston. Lots of great drummers for a few years out of there

VT was a source for Cadets well before YEA ever existed.

The baritone and euphonium sections in the late 70's and early 80's had the Blacksburg Boys even when the corps was still based in Garfield.

Many of them had the first name of Chris by coincidence. Their success and contribution to the corps tour was perhaps why the recruiting returned there.

Yes- that's the member drive aspect. There were also zero dollars and zero equipment/infrastructure. Really it took all the way until RECENTLY to fix many of those aspects. Volunteer base was tough for many years. 87/88 the corps was doing well competitively but not behind the scenes in the bank or even in brass member recruitment. 89 the corps hit the field with a TON of holes. That season they filled the corps during July and RAPIDLY improved the last 10 days of the season. 88/89 was also the rise of the guard under April. 90 another win but still little money. Sponsor relations and USSBA improved during the 90s - not a great "cash flow thing" early on but now it is stabilized. Also driving the "Maroon & Gold" campaign- now the best giving campaign in drum corps. Alumni relations improved and they reaped benefits from that as well. Flash to today - Cadets can afford "money losing" prospects such as Cadets2 and CWP - and narrow the 300-500K annual revenue/expense gap for Cadets proper through merchandise sales, ticket sales, giving campaigns and sponsorship's. Rest of budget comes from performance fees, DCI disbursement, member fees etc.

Success breads success. But the people aspect is everything - it's fair to say the success came faster than the people aspect

Cadets were close to vanishing several times. As were Crossmen. Crown & Boston have also benefited from the relationship with Hop (although perspectives vary - just from a status before and after the answer is YES)

The guy deserves a great deal of credit. And not half the criticism he gets. JMO

Just to clarify a point and not stray too much further than this thread has; Boston did not benefit from Virginia Tech band. Maybe from Virginia Beach bands in the early 80's (like in 82) but not Virginia Tech. Then they had some down years again, eventually connecting with Florida High schools and here we are today. Nor did Boston benefit from YEA. I may not have it exactly right but believe Boston refused assistance with YEA, fearing what they might have to give up and believing all the while, they could rebuild the organization utilizing their alumni base. Which they did and that base is even more involved today. And, if rumors are true as they sometimes are (and they are rumors so don't get your dander up) Boston was approached by a Director of another top organization asking for Boston's financial help. After all the years of struggle, that would be incredibly ironic if there was any validity to the rumor. Now back to regularly scheduled predictions. I am thinking just a shuffle in the top 6 but the last top 6 is still this years top 6.

Yes- that's the member drive aspect. There were also zero dollars and zero equipment/infrastructure. Really it took all the way until RECENTLY to fix many of those aspects. Volunteer base was tough for many years. 87/88 the corps was doing well competitively but not behind the scenes in the bank or even in brass member recruitment. 89 the corps hit the field with a TON of holes. That season they filled the corps during July and RAPIDLY improved the last 10 days of the season. 88/89 was also the rise of the guard under April. 90 another win but still little money. Sponsor relations and USSBA improved during the 90s - not a great "cash flow thing" early on but now it is stabilized. Also driving the "Maroon & Gold" campaign- now the best giving campaign in drum corps. Alumni relations improved and they reaped benefits from that as well. Flash to today - Cadets can afford "money losing" prospects such as Cadets2 and CWP - and narrow the 300-500K annual revenue/expense gap for Cadets proper through merchandise sales, ticket sales, giving campaigns and sponsorship's. Rest of budget comes from performance fees, DCI disbursement, member fees etc.

Success breads success. But the people aspect is everything - it's fair to say the success came faster than the people aspect

Cadets were close to vanishing several times. As were Crossmen. Crown & Boston have also benefited from the relationship with Hop (although perspectives vary - just from a status before and after the answer is YES)

The guy deserves a great deal of credit. And not half the criticism he gets. JMO

Just to clarify a point and not stray too much further than this thread has; Boston did not benefit from Virginia Tech band. Maybe from Virginia Beach bands in the early 80's (like in 82) but not Virginia Tech. Then they had some down years again, eventually connecting with Florida High schools and here we are today. Nor did Boston benefit from YEA. I may not have it exactly right but believe Boston refused assistance with YEA, fearing what they might have to give up and believing all the while, they could rebuild the organization utilizing their alumni base. Which they did and that base is even more involved today. And, if rumors are true as they sometimes are (and they are rumors so don't get your dander up) Boston was approached by a Director of another top organization asking for Boston's financial help. After all the years of struggle, that would be incredibly ironic if there was any validity to the rumor. Now back to regularly scheduled predictions. I am thinking just a shuffle in the top 6 but the last top 6 is still this years top 6.

Sorry for messing up this post.

Hop consulted Boston. They were never a part of the YEA organization. I don't even think it lasted very long. Also my post was referring to Crossmen and Cadets re VA tech. Not Boston. Its great how well Boston is doing now. Very excited about it!

Except that out of the relationship with YEA came Tom Santino as brass caption head. With Tom came the membership from South Florida and Howard Weinstein. That turned the Crusaders into finalists. I'd say Boston did benefit.

• Like 1

T1. The Cadets

T1. Troopers

3. Cavaliers

4. Crossmen

5. Vanguard

T6. Bluecoats

T6. Blue Devils

T6. Blue Knights

T6. Blue Stars

10. Mandarins

11. Phantom Regiment

12. Blue Devils B

Go Troop!!

T1. The Cadets

T1. Troopers

3. Cavaliers

4. Crossmen

5. Vanguard

T6. Bluecoats

T6. Blue Devils

T6. Blue Knights

T6. Blue Stars

10. Mandarins

11. Phantom Regiment

12. Blue Devils B

I like Bones with their highest placement ever!!!

• Like 1

T1. The Cadets

T1. Troopers

3. Cavaliers

4. Crossmen

5. Vanguard

T6. Bluecoats

T6. Blue Devils

T6. Blue Knights

T6. Blue Stars

10. Mandarins

11. Phantom Regiment

12. Blue Devils B

Blue Devils B closing the gap on Blue Devils A !