2016 Prediction Thread

Meanwhile back to predictions...

BD had a surprisingly ( for them ) young Corps last season, but won it all again anyway.

So my guess it'll be Blue Devils winning again, and everybody else an also ran.

The vote was 29-1 to get rid of the field judge for drums until regionals.

Yea guess who the only one who voted against it?

They are bringing some serious heat this year! Start up the steam roller baby cuz BD is gonna BRING IT!

My predictions as of today:

1/2. Bluecoats or Blue Devils

3/4. The Cadets or Carolina Crown

5. Blue Knights

6/7. SCV or Phantom Regiment

8. The Cavaliers

9. Madison Scouts

10. Boston Crusaders

11. Troopers

12. Colts

(OK, those last 2 choices were admittedly wishful thinking. I just want to see a couple of new faces in Finals this year.)

At this point in time, I think the only corps that has a legitimate shot at beating the Blue Devils is the Bluecoats. Maybe Cadets, but only if the new visual team can play their cards right. I love Crown, but their percussion isn't the best and has been a major anchor on the corps as of late. SCV and the Blue Knights just need better overall packages in order to be considered medal-worthy.

(DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated with any of these corps, and I have only seen a few videos of a couple of the corps. So these predictions are based either last year's results or pure speculation.)

My predictions as of today:

1/2. Bluecoats or Blue Devils

3/4. The Cadets or Carolina Crown

5. Blue Knights

6/7. SCV or Phantom Regiment

8. The Cavaliers

9. Madison Scouts

10. Boston Crusaders

11. Troopers

12. Colts

(OK, those last 2 choices were admittedly wishful thinking. I just want to see a couple of new faces in Finals this year.)

At this point in time, I think the only corps that has a legitimate shot at beating the Blue Devils is the Bluecoats. Maybe Cadets, but only if the new visual team can play their cards right. I love Crown, but their percussion isn't the best and has been a major anchor on the corps as of late. SCV and the Blue Knights just need better overall packages in order to be considered medal-worthy.

(DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated with any of these corps, and I have only seen a few videos of a couple of the corps. So these predictions are based either last year's results or pure speculation.)

Your difficulty in nailing down the 1-4 is understandable. The gold is BDs to loose (BUT they haven't 3 pleated yet), Cadets are solid in brass and percussion and have won 11 times AND recognized they needed to address their visual issues (good move or not we'll see), Bloo has been solid the past two years with a great design team and more talent wanting to march their but if this show is another electronic tilt/Kenetic noise sequel, will it still have the same effect as tilt which was my favorite hands down over KN? Crown, making strides in percussion but with BD, Cadets, Bloo lines so amazing, can they ever get out of the 5th place percussion ranking?

As always, it will come down to design. My head says Cadets/Bloo top 2 for now.

(I've only seen and heard Cadets so far and as one would expect, the brass and percussion are stellar, show concept "interesting". We'll see.

But does choosing to be the "nostalgia" corps help or hurt the Surf's chance of attracting or retaining higher level players and getting to that level where they can play anything thing they want?

Everyone says "Oh, they should do the Bridgemania stuff again ..." The fact is, the Bridgemen's best placement was the year they played "In the Stone" (1980), but for Bridgemen, that was NEW music (released in 1979 by EW&F). When Surf tried to recapture that moment, "In the Stone" was over 30 years old. Would THAT focus resonate with young players?

To be fair, they also played Party Rock Anthem.

Maybe because the Troopers are hurting for members?

Especially in brass?

Hurting for members? I'm not sure where you're getting your information. The horn line is 90 percent set after the February camp, the earliest the corps has hit that mark. The photo on the left is the mello attendance at the March 2012 camp. The image on the right is from February 2016 camp. If this is "hurting," it must require a brass turnout of 1,000 to be healthy.

dwe7td.jpg

• Like 2

Hurting for members? I'm not sure where you're getting your information. The horn line is 90 percent set after the February camp, the earliest the corps has hit that mark. The photo on the left is the mello attendance at the March 2012 camp. The image on the right is from February 2016 camp. If this is "hurting," it must require a brass turnout of 1,000 to be healthy.

dwe7td.jpg

Please excuse my 57-year-old eyes...but do I indeed see 22 mellos there?? Wow....

(Edit: Sorry. Recounted. "Only" 21, I guess...still smiling here.)

Edited by HornTeacher

Yes, hurting for members. A drum corps is not made up of mellophones only. Numbers do not equal quality either.

dwe7td.jpg

Yes, hurting for members. A drum corps is not made up of mellophones only. Numbers do not equal quality either.

Troopers are most certainly not hurting for members, not are they hurting for quality members. They've made huge strides moving their brass program forward over the last couple of years, and this year will be no different. They are off to a fantastic start.

Edited by Kamarag