2016 Prediction Thread

If you define drill as pedestrian marching a la 1980's drum corps, then I can sort of see what you're saying. I don't know what "never" means either. For all I know, you could be 18 years old and not even familiar with much of history. During the 1970s and 1980s, they did some pretty incredible drill for the time. It's a different day now, and most shows (with the exception of Cadets, who at least up to the show this year, stubbornly clung to traditional drill) are a mix of staging and drill. From what I see of Blue Devils so far, it's a much more drill-centric show than the past couple of years. Some of the stuff they do is pretty meaty. Not sure if you have access to video, but the sequence from the end of the ballad to the "blob" after the flourishes is brilliant, difficult and pretty well performed already.

If you are going to Indy, I invite you to one of their rehearsals...stand at field level at the sideline and you'll probably get a far different perspective than sitting at your computer watching a video. Very hard to see all they're being asked to do from a video. The difficulty of, and the amount of distance they're covering at times is quite impressive, but they do it well and it doesn't seem all that remarkable without that perspective. Someone else posted re/Coats and their drill, and I concur fully. They've gone to a staging-based approach, with long periods of static body work, followed by essentially running around and behind the props. Lather, rinse, repeat. What drill they do have (which is far less than the past few years, which I've loved) is a huge dropoff from what they customarily do. For me, they've kind of overshot on the staging concept in lieu of drill. It's my belief that this will cost them, unless they do some rewrites and put some meat back on the plate. Until then, I think it's BD and Crown frontrunning, Coats and Cadets chasing. Will be interested to see what Marc Sylvester can do with Cadets in the remaining few weeks.

BD has never been known for interesting drill. State of the art, yes.... Great staging? Absolutely. Interesting drill? It's always clean and well marched, but not an emphasis. There have been some cools stuff from time to time.

As far as 80s drill being pedestrian, I disagree. Drill started heating up Mid 80s to the run and gun 90s and 2000s until recently,

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

I will agree that their drill isn't the most compelling, but they are just so darn near perfect at everything they do - playing, marching, spinning. They know how to work the sheets better than anyone else, and until the criteria changes, they will keep winning, due to their amazing staff and top-notch talent. If I were marching today, I would choose Crown, SCV or Madison, as I'd rather march one of their shows than BDs, but I can see why top talent goes there.

OMG, will this "work the sheets" BS ever end? The last thing BD's staff does is worry about the freakin' sheets. They've NEVER written to the sheets...it's such a ridiculous assertion, it almost doesn't even warrant comment. The same is true for the other top contenders, too. "Writing to the sheets" will pretty much get you the exact opposite as what you would want.

• Like 9

BD has never been known for interesting drill. State of the art, yes.... Great staging? Absolutely. Interesting drill? It's always clean and well marched, but know an emphasis. There have been some cools stuff from time to time.

As far as 80s drill being pedestrian, I disagree. Drill started heating up Mid 80s to the run and gun 90s and 2000s until recently,

While the velocity of drill started picking up the mid 80's, the *method* of motion was still pedestrian (I'm talking about static upper body and moving from point to point). Form to form, just like it had been...Zingali took it up a few notches with the asymmetry and velocity, but the mode of motion was pedestrian in nature. That's what I'm talking about. Now you have integrated movement, dance, drill, etc.. Much different.

While the velocity of drill started picking up the mid 80's, the *method* of motion was still pedestrian (I'm talking about static upper body and moving from point to point). Form to form, just like it had been...Zingali took it up a few notches with the asymmetry and velocity, but the mode of motion was pedestrian in nature. That's what I'm talking about. Now you have integrated movement, dance, drill, etc.. Much different.

Thanks for clarifying!

Meh, it's all good for me. Sometimes too much bug stomping these days. Just depends what you're looking for in the activity. I personally think, all ways should be able to score well if performed well enough. That way we have TRUE variety...

BD has never been known for interesting drill. State of the art, yes.... Great staging? Absolutely. Interesting drill? It's always clean and well marched, but not an emphasis. There have been some cools stuff from time to time.

Cadets drill to "Rocky Point Holiday" (1983) was the first of the new style that really blew me away...and still does.

• Like 3

Wonder if that reality show BD and Cadets are starring in will influence the judges in the end. Even if BC is better.

Just saw a video of the Louisiana Stars. If they sound like that now after what I think the director said was 2 weeks of rehearsals, I predict they are going to give some Open Class mainstays a good scare.

No caption weaknesses. 4 pieces of music we all know presented in a modern way. Incredibly mature design choices for a group of their age. And for how long they have been together so far this year, they are performing incredibly well. I can't wait to see how they do tonight.

They're definitely one of my favorite OC shows this year.

Their title says it all. I wasn't sure what In Suspense was gonna mean, but musically it makes total sense.

Edited by DrumManTx

Wonder if that reality show BD and Cadets are starring in will influence the judges in the end. Even if BC is better.

Um, why would a reality show influence the judges?

Um, why would a reality show influence the judges?

Seriously. If the circle of knowledge (aka DCP) can't influence the judges, why should they be able to.. Edited by Tobias